Thais spy on Thais; social surveillance is the junta's new weapon

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
buksida

Thais spy on Thais; social surveillance is the junta's new weapon

Post by buksida »

She worked at a hotel and said she’d never heard of the lese majeste law before police arrested her. When they told her the quickest way back to her young daughters was confessing to being Facebook user Rungnapha Khamwichai, she did so, without ever speaking to a lawyer.

That was two years ago. For her confession, the military judges who convicted the single mom, identified only as Sasivimol, halved her sentence to 28 years for Facebook messages she says she didn’t write. Her older daughter will be nearly 40 by the time she is released in 2042.

Yet it wasn’t sophisticated government snooping or intrusive software that led to Sasivimol’s arrest, but rather a group of private citizens who saw the messages online and reported them for insulting the monarchy.

It’s part of a trend in which people are under watch by their own peers – possibly even friends and family – on social media. A recent report one year in the making by a London-based nonprofit found that Thailand’s constitutional guarantees of privacy are threatened by so-called social surveillance, a practice encouraged through direct and indirect measures by the military regime.

Sources: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/ ... veillance/

https://www.privacyinternational.org/node/935
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
RCer
Ace
Ace

Re: Thais spy on Thais; social surveillance is the junta's new weapon

Post by RCer »

This isn't done in the west? Have you seen the US Patriot Act?
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Why am I not surprised?
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
bert91157

Post by bert91157 »

No different to the UK!!
Example footballer banned and fined for something he put on some social media site 4 years ago.
Admittedly the punishment is harsh.
Unfortunate fact of modern day living. No more freedom of speech, even thinking can be an offence in some places.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Not as serious, but the same idea, we were in Prachuap a while back. I parked on a crossing line (slightly, but I did). When we came back from lunch my truck was booted. Mrs M had to go to police station and pay the fine. They gave her a ride back and said they are encouraging Prachuap residents to send pictures of anyone violating a law, traffic or otherwise.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

remind me of the witch haunt in the 1600

:cheers: :cheers:
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

migrant wrote:Not as serious, but the same idea, we were in Prachuap a while back. I parked on a crossing line (slightly, but I did). When we came back from lunch my truck was booted. Mrs M had to go to police station and pay the fine. They gave her a ride back and said they are encouraging Prachuap residents to send pictures of anyone violating a law, traffic or otherwise.
:lach: :lach: :lach: :lach: If I started sending in pictures of traffic violations, I'd probably crash their servers within an hour.
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

reminds me of the mad magazine characters: spy vs. spy. worked for hitler, stalin, joe mccarthy and any number of dictatorial governments. coming soon to a country near you. keep you mouth shut in public, don't post on the internet, don't write anything down and above all don't talk to anyone, even your closest family members. "don't follow leaders, watch your parking meters."