HDMI Cables

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
PeteC

HDMI Cables

Post by PeteC »

I (perhaps like many) had no idea HDMI cables are of different quality. Completely ignorant concerning them. Recently we bought a new HD Panasonic TV and it didn't come with an HDMI cable to attach to the TRUE box, so we used one that was laying around from some Samsung sets we bought 10 years ago. Picture was ok but it seemed to me that a new set of the quality of ours should have a better picture.

On advice we went out and splurged a bit and bought an M Cable 4K M-HDMI-HSWE-T for about 2,500 Baht. Words don't describe the difference. Watching Rugby yesterday I just sat with my mouth open thinking I was in the stands watching live! :D .

So, if you're not satisfied with the performance of your electronics and you're using an old, cheap HDMI cable, go and get a high quality new one would be my advice. :thumb: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Re: HDMI Cables

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

Found the following Which? article which seems a little contradictory. It starts by saying there's no discernible difference between cheaper and more expensive cables but goes on to point out that cables supporting the newer standards (HDMI 2.0 / 2.1) can give you higher resolution on UHD/4K/HDR content.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/televis ... dmi-cables

I think the bottom line may be that it's the specifications of the cable (what HDMI standard it supports) that counts, rather than the price.
PeteC

Re: HDMI Cables

Post by PeteC »

I think in my case the "4K" designation of the TV and cable is the key. It has to do with HD, and the new HDMI cable is 4K compliant whereas the older cables I have are not. That's where the huge improvement in the picture quality between old and new cable is coming from IMO. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source