Where does all of the lost phone credit go.

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Big Boy

Where does all of the lost phone credit go.

Post by Big Boy »

I'd better point out before I start that although the following story involved a mini-rant, I accept that this entire episode was of my own doing, and was my own fault.

I have a Samsung Tablet, which has a SIM card that I use for emergencies only (never actually used it as a phone). To keep it valid, I stand at the top up machine every 6 months and feed the machine 20 Baht at a time. I'd guess it had about 500 Baht credit on it.

I was sat in the car a few days ago waiting for my son, when I thought I'd check the expiry date - I receive the message, no registered SIM.

I tried to top up yesterday, but the machine told me I was trying to top up on the wrong network. I knew I wasn't, so asked the assistant who said I would have to take my tablet to them.

I went back today and was told I was too late, it was more than 45 days since it had expired. I could keep my number, but my credit was lost............ time for my mini-rant, which as usual had not effect other than to make me feel a little better, My number was re-enabled, and I've topped up until Christmas. Despite my obligatory rant, the assistant was lovely, and very helpful.

This got me thinking, what happens to all of this lost credit? How many people forget like me? How many visitors go home with credit still on their phone? I would guess this amounts to hundreds of thousands, if not millions each year. Are we funding the annual staff party? Is it legal to just take people's money i.e. if my number was still there, I'm sure some record of the credit was there as well.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Where does all of the lost phone credit go.

Post by Dannie Boy »

I doubt that there’s anybody in a room counting the unused credit from the likes of yourself BB, it will just be a case of the phone companies marginally increasing their profit, every time an account holder doesn’t use the full credit they’ve paid for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

For those that don't know, if knowing you'll have credit, you may lose, you can transfer that to another phone number, w/small transfer fee.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HaHa, not if it expires first.

Points 41; Position 18
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

You can extend your expiry date for just a few baht, at the moment my expiry date is sitting at February next year. I have done this quite a few times.
Have a read here...... http://help.mobiletopup.com/knowledge-b ... of-my-sim/ . I am with True Move, to extend it for 12 months it's just 24 baht.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I thought some time ago, there was a court case about this and the result was the government issuing an order that prevented mobile companies from confiscating unused credit.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well, they confiscated mine :laugh:

Points 41; Position 18
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

HHTel wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:15 pm I thought some time ago, there was a court case about this and the result was the government issuing an order that prevented mobile companies from confiscating unused credit.
You are correct, and they did stop for a while, but they are back to their old ways again. As usual, nothing comes before the baht. :twisted:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact