Cookin Corner

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
buksida

Re: Cookin Corner

Post by buksida »

Got a good line of salsas going ... its a lot of fun experimenting with the recipes and then getting one that hits the spot with some obscure ingredient you throw into the mix!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote:some obscure ingredient you throw into the mix!
Kryptonite? :twisted:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

buksida wrote:Got a good line of salsas going ... its a lot of fun experimenting with the recipes and then getting one that hits the spot with some obscure ingredient you throw into the mix!
I've done a lot of different mixes over the years and every now and again I get a really good one. Trouble is I never document the ingredients and process and can never reproduce it again.

Anyway...Life is like a jar of jalapeno peppers. What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow. :)
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

CHRISTMAS is COMING

Talk about getting the bird in the oven early for the Chrissy feed. Well that lot in Lancashire are a rum lot

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/soci ... 4120293422
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Re: Cooking in Hua Hin ~ Rick Stein

Post by Siani »

Today on the Food Channel HD there is a showing (probably repeat) of Rick Stein cooking in Hua Hin.

Thailand and Cornwall

The fish enthusiast takes a visit to the coastline resort of Hua Hin in Thailand, where Rick enjoys the sensual pleasures of the hot and bustling local market.

These are UK showing times....

Other Airings:-
Wed 21 Jan, 4pm
Good Food +1

Record
Wed 21 Jan, 7pm
Good Food

Record
Wed 21 Jan, 8pm
Good Food +1

Record
Thu 22 Jan, 12am
Good Food

Record
Thu 22 Jan, 1am
Good Food +
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

My thanks to the kind forum member who first posted about the "Turbo Ovens" which are sold at Makro, Tesco and etc. I think the recommendation first came from that horrid fellow from down under, the one who drives a fuel guzzling Landrover. :laugh:

Anyway, I recently bought one and I think it is awesome. I haven't got around to making bread yet as I had planned to, but everything I've cooked in it has turned out great, including a a few roasted chicken quarters which are busy cooling right now.

I must admit, I really had my doubts, but it has now become clear that this little oven can compete with big brother any day. What an absolute bargain at only 999.00 baht.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

...................... the one who drives a fuel guzzling Landrover
It was exactly that piece of junk that caused it, as I cannot afford to run both an inbuilt oven and the green monster. :mrgreen:

Just a hint: be careful just what you use as a bowl or dish inside the thing. Try and find a "Pyrex" piece if you can. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Thanks. So far only used foil when doing cookies for the girls, and the supplied racks for the chicken yesterday.

I still cannot believe just how well the oven works because I've tried two toaster ovens in the past and both were useless.

Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

Takiap wrote:Thanks. So far only used foil when doing cookies for the girls, and the supplied racks for the chicken yesterday.

I still cannot believe just how well the oven works because I've tried two toaster ovens in the past and both were useless.

How much are these Turbo Ovens ? I see they are in Pure Plaza ranging from 6,000 to 11,000 BHT which seems high. However a Canadian friend did mention something about getting and electric oven from Makro sometime ago which cooked without using any fat be it chicken thighs of French Fries and the cost was less than 1,000 BHT so I am not sure if I am comparing like with like .
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

musungu wrote:
Takiap wrote:Thanks. So far only used foil when doing cookies for the girls, and the supplied racks for the chicken yesterday.

How much are these Turbo Ovens ? I see they are in Pure Plaza ranging from 6,000 to 11,000 BHT which seems high. However a Canadian friend did mention something about getting and electric oven from Makro sometime ago which cooked without using any fat be it chicken thighs of French Fries and the cost was less than 1,000 BHT so I am not sure if I am comparing like with like .
You only have to look four posts up and see the price quoted at 999 baht which is the price at Makro!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I noticed last week that Tesco were even cheaper, but it was one of their specials, and may have ended by now.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Still haven't got around to baking any bread, but baked a cake and it turning out perfect. A touch burned on the top but cut that off prior to decorating. My first cake ever and a wonderful success. Also, so much better than the average store bought cake, or at least that was what my girls told me. :D

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Takiap wrote:Still haven't got around to baking any bread, but baked a cake and it turning out perfect. A touch burned on the top but cut that off prior to decorating. My first cake ever and a wonderful success. Also, so much better than the average store bought cake, or at least that was what my girls told me. :D

Can I ask at what temperature you baked the Cake?
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I can't remember what temperature the original recipe called for, but I used the temperature recommendation in the little booklet that came with the oven (175 Celsius).

I did turn the temperature down to around 140 about have way through because the top of the cake was getting very dark since it rose quite a lot. Although the top never actually burned, I decided to trim it off prior to icing the cake. This was my first attempt so will make a few changes next time, using the same recipe. Instead of 175 degrees, I try 140 throughout, and I'll also use slightly less baking powder.

BTW, the recipe I used called for All Purpose flour rather than cake flour.

I must have done something right because between five kids, the entire cake was finished within an hour, although a few adults indulged as well. :laugh:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

When I bake a cake in a conventional fan oven, I do it at 150C so 175 does sound a bit high. Whatever, you must have done something right if it went so quick - all purpose flour plus baking powder = self raising flour, which is what you would normally make a cake with. :cheers: