The Beer Thread

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Ham & Bacon : The Palm Bistro
Post Reply
handdrummer
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1315
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:58 am

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by handdrummer » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:26 am

In the US, the major breweries, Bud, Miller, Coors, are buying up all the craft breweries they can get their slimy hands on.

Pleng
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2708
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:04 am
Location: Hua Hin

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by Pleng » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:29 am

caller wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:25 pm
Pleng wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:07 pm
caller wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:07 pm
Other Thai / Cambodian low volume micro brewery beers are now widely available.
Are any of them brewed locally? Or are all of them brewed abroad an imported?
I'm no expert, but it's my understanding the corporate interests of Singha and Chang are protected by law and the tax imposed on small independents, so some have crossed the border to brew their beer then import it back in. Happy to be corrected on that.
Yes, that's how I understand the situation, too. Most of the "Thai" craft beers I've seen have been brewed in Australia! :)

User avatar
caller
Addict
Addict
Posts: 9190
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:05 pm
Location: Bangkok

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by caller » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:03 pm

Now this is what you call a micro-brewery - Butts in Great Shefford, West Berks.

Image
Talk is cheap

JWWhite
Specialist
Specialist
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:38 pm

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by JWWhite » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:54 am

The World’s 50 Best Beers for 2018 Ranking
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/foodanddrink/ ... spartandhp
“When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.” Stephen Jay Gould

oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3651
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:51 pm

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by oakdale160 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:01 am

In the US, the major breweries, Bud, Miller, Coors, are buying up all the craft breweries they can get their slimy hands on.
[/quote]

If they leave the breweries to brew as they wish and provide distrubution and marketing services, that is OK. But I did say IF

User avatar
Dannie Boy
Addict
Addict
Posts: 5199
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:12 pm
Location: Closer to Cha Am than Hua Hin

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by Dannie Boy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:52 am

JWWhite wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:54 am
The World’s 50 Best Beers for 2018 Ranking
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/foodanddrink/ ... spartandhp
I wasn’t particularly surprised, but I’d only heard of 1 or 2 of those top 50 and most of them are high alcohol beers - some as much as 15-16% so definitely headache material. Surprising (to me) how many of them are brewed in the USA!!

HHTel
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3791
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:44 pm

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by HHTel » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:15 am

Dannie Boy wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:52 am
JWWhite wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:54 am
The World’s 50 Best Beers for 2018 Ranking
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/foodanddrink/ ... spartandhp
I wasn’t particularly surprised, but I’d only heard of 1 or 2 of those top 50 and most of them are high alcohol beers - some as much as 15-16% so definitely headache material. Surprising (to me) how many of them are brewed in the USA!!
RateBeer is an American site run by an American. What would you expect!

User avatar
STEVE G
Hero
Hero
Posts: 12155
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:50 am
Location: HUA HIN/EUROPE

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by STEVE G » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:21 am

Dannie Boy wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:52 am
JWWhite wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:54 am
The World’s 50 Best Beers for 2018 Ranking
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/foodanddrink/ ... spartandhp
I wasn’t particularly surprised, but I’d only heard of 1 or 2 of those top 50 and most of them are high alcohol beers - some as much as 15-16% so definitely headache material. Surprising (to me) how many of them are brewed in the USA!!
I think that list should be the best beers available in the US and if a "chocolate cupcake stout" is one of them, I'm never going to America again!

HHTel
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3791
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:44 pm

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by HHTel » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:25 am

Look up the top ales as published by CAMRA. I'm sure you'll recognise some of them. The difference being they are all real ales as opposed to lager. The list from RateBeer are mostly lagers.

User avatar
Dannie Boy
Addict
Addict
Posts: 5199
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:12 pm
Location: Closer to Cha Am than Hua Hin

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by Dannie Boy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:34 am

HHTel wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:15 am
Dannie Boy wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:52 am
JWWhite wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:54 am
The World’s 50 Best Beers for 2018 Ranking
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/foodanddrink/ ... spartandhp
I wasn’t particularly surprised, but I’d only heard of 1 or 2 of those top 50 and most of them are high alcohol beers - some as much as 15-16% so definitely headache material. Surprising (to me) how many of them are brewed in the USA!!
RateBeer is an American site run by an American. What would you expect!
Yes I recognized that, although there were quite a few from Belgium - anyway I’m sure that I would appreciate the CAMRA top 50 more!!
:cheers:

handdrummer
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1315
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:58 am

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by handdrummer » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:16 am

Morning Wood? Sounds like a bottle of piss.

User avatar
caller
Addict
Addict
Posts: 9190
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:05 pm
Location: Bangkok

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by caller » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:23 pm

That list is a load of rubbish. Limited Edition beers at staggering alcohol content and prices. What a load of pretentious nonsense - 'a beer that really tastes like apricot jam' - yuk! Hardly everyday beers, bar a few exceptions and clearly very US centric.

But talking of beer, has anyone else tried Rogers beer? Supply is a bit hit and miss in Hua Hin, but when in stock it's sold by VM and Gourmet market, as well as Wishbeer (but expensive via them). A very enjoyable quite complex tipple, at just 3.8%.

https://littlecreatures.com.au/beers/rogers-beer/
Talk is cheap

oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3651
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:51 pm

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by oakdale160 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:49 am

The number of micro/craft brewers in western countries has risen to ridiculous levels. In Canada, there are now 820. However, the amount of craft beer selling has remained constant so that they are dividing the market into smaller and smaller sales. Now for every 2 that open one goes bankrupt and closes. Eventually, it will sort out and the best will survive, but the monster chemical brewers must be so pleased to see them in such disarray.

GroveHillWanderer
Specialist
Specialist
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 10:48 am
Location: Nong Kae

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by GroveHillWanderer » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:41 am

Pleng wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:17 pm
I tried a can of Snowy last night. Tasted ok; a watered-down Hoegarten clone for 55bt can't be considered bad. I just wish that they'd priced it at 80bt and given it a bit of a fuller flavour - it'd still be a lot cheaper than any of the competition.

I kind of hope it does well; then perhaps Tiger will consider brewing their white beer over here. It amazes me it's taken this long for one of the big breweries to start producing white beer, considering the relative popularity of Hoegarten; despite the very high price.
I tried this and didn't notice any great difference from Hoegaarden. To me it tastes very similar and is obviously much cheaper. A very decent tipple for the price, as far as I'm concerned.

Pleng
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2708
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:04 am
Location: Hua Hin

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by Pleng » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:30 pm

GroveHillWanderer wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:41 am
Pleng wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:17 pm
I tried a can of Snowy last night. Tasted ok; a watered-down Hoegarten clone for 55bt can't be considered bad. I just wish that they'd priced it at 80bt and given it a bit of a fuller flavour - it'd still be a lot cheaper than any of the competition.

I kind of hope it does well; then perhaps Tiger will consider brewing their white beer over here. It amazes me it's taken this long for one of the big breweries to start producing white beer, considering the relative popularity of Hoegarten; despite the very high price.
I tried this and didn't notice any great difference from Hoegaarden. To me it tastes very similar and is obviously much cheaper. A very decent tipple for the price, as far as I'm concerned.
I tried it again, having let a can settle for a couple of days in the fridge - the first can I had tried shortly after bringing it home so it may not have been a fair test. I, however, stick by my original conclusions; it tastes like Hoegaarden, but too watered down to be seriously enjoyable. Considering I rarely have a white beer, and when I do I only ever have the one before moving on to larger, I'd rather just pony up for the real deal to start the day off. That being said, I'm sure I'll always keep a can of Snowy in the fridge for, like, emergencies :)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests