The Beer Thread

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Ham & Bacon : The Palm Bistro
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by 404cameljockey » Sun May 20, 2018 3:27 pm

I'm not a craft beer drinker but fancied trying this. Just over 200 Baht for 12 fluid oz. at Makro so it's a one-off for me because even when I try to sip and savour it's still gone inside a minute. From Rogue Ales, Newport, Oregon (Oregon Brewing Company) .
Really nice malty, nutty taste, and head smells slightly stouty (not stoaty as I first typed, that would not be attractive). Doesn't taste like 5.6 pct by volume, nice balanced flavour.

hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang » Sun May 20, 2018 9:55 pm

^ I've tried almost all the Rogue ales and beers produced starting back in the 80's and most are really good. Very surprised to hear that they are a Makro.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?

404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey » Mon May 21, 2018 8:53 am

hhfarang wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:55 pm
^ I've tried almost all the Rogue ales and beers produced starting back in the 80's and most are really good. Very surprised to hear that they are a Makro.
Makro usually have a very small selection of different craft beers, but I can't say whether they keep the same brands from month to month. Doesn't seem so to me, but I don't often look at that shelf.

laser

Post by laser » Mon May 21, 2018 12:55 pm

Chazz14 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 11:44 pm
Snowy made a brief appearance in our local 7-11 - and then was gone.
It's available in the 7-11 opposite of the Market Village, and also under the Rocco condo (~opposite of BKK Hospital). In the latter shop there was another (new to me) can that I will try tonight.
Attachments
tapper.jpg

handdrummer
Ace
Ace

Post by handdrummer » Mon May 21, 2018 6:34 pm

Laser, I've tried several times, unsuccessfully, to kill that "bug" on your post.

Peroni
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Peroni » Mon May 21, 2018 7:48 pm

Wow 6.5%, does that incur additional tax/expense?

404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey » Mon May 21, 2018 9:54 pm

Thistle wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 1:17 pm
7,Eleven,beginning of Soi112,,,,,,,,two rows in the beer fridge,full:55 Baht a can
I looked there today. Not a sausage.

Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark » Mon May 21, 2018 11:42 pm

Getting back to our local brew. My local wholesaler ran out of my preferred Archa so I was drinking Chang last week. I felt awful: tired, aching legs, and a little bit woosy during the day. I put it down to dehydration, but my colleague said that he felt the same. He bought some Changs from the local 7/11 and had to pour them down the drain as they smelt and tasted so bad.

Anyone else noticed a difference in the taste?

VS :?
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G » Tue May 22, 2018 4:01 am

I like the way that on that Tapper Lager above, they've put "since 2016" in Roman numerals to make it look older!

404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey » Tue May 22, 2018 11:52 am

Vital Spark wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 11:42 pm
Getting back to our local brew. My local wholesaler ran out of my preferred Archa so I was drinking Chang last week. I felt awful: tired, aching legs, and a little bit woosy during the day. I put it down to dehydration, but my colleague said that he felt the same. He bought some Changs from the local 7/11 and had to pour them down the drain as they smelt and tasted so bad.

Anyone else noticed a difference in the taste?

VS :?
I drink Chang all the time for going on two years and not noticed any change recently. I almost dislike the taste of Leo, Singa is OK, not sure about Archa. Maybe the complaints about Chang are a psychological effect? Tiredness and aching legs sounds strange to put down too the effects of a beer (tiredness due to too many, OK! :D)! So many people have complained about chemicals and recipe changes in Chang over the years it's might just be suggestibility? Or maybe I'm impervious, I've been drinking beer for almost 40 years and tried most varieties. :)

PeteC

Post by PeteC » Tue May 22, 2018 12:09 pm

It's normal for shops to move their older stock to the front of the shelves or cooler. I avoid any beer older than 3 months from bottling date. Absolutely ( to me) older than that has a very stale taste but it's never been so bad as to make me ill. Bouncing truck transport and heat here play hell with beer no matter the bottled date.

When back in the UK VS please don't be one of those out and about shopping for Thai beer! :laugh: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source

404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey » Tue May 22, 2018 12:16 pm

Pete, do you think beer goes stale more quickly in can or bottle? The taste is different anyway, I know. And beer in cans probably suffers worse temperature variations in shipping, or maybe I'm talking rubbish there?

PeteC

Post by PeteC » Tue May 22, 2018 12:29 pm

I'd have to do a more scientific test than I've done so far. I'm an Asahi fan as it's the best tasting beer I can get where I am that is usually under a 1 month bottle date. However, this applies to their cans only so I like the cans best. Where I am there are hordes of Japanese and Korean engineer types and I believe Asahi is the only Japanese beer brewed here, and it goes fast, especially the cans. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source

Peroni
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Peroni » Tue May 22, 2018 2:50 pm

While a can is quicker to chill the inside of a can has a layer of lacquer or some other surface covering to prevent the contents from reacting with the aluminum. Glass on the other hand has no additional coatings. Some people say they can taste the difference, I for one think, all beer is a good beer, especially after the first one, nobody cares about minor taste variations. Beer-o-clock time here.

John :cheers:

Dannie Boy
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Dannie Boy » Tue May 22, 2018 5:45 pm

buksida wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:42 pm
snowy.jpg

Last time I was in Bangkok a few weeks ago I found this stuff which is apparently made by Singha. Snowy Weizen, its a great drop, slightly hoppy and far better than the chemical lagers you get here - cheap too at 55 baht a tin.

Sadly it doesn't seem to be available in Hua Hin yet, none of the regular places (makro, villa, bluport, tescos, sevens or family marts) had it.
I’ve just drunk my first can of Snowy Weizen and it wasn’t too bad, certainly a different taste to the mainstream Thai lagers and at 55 Baht a cheap alternative to a Leo or a Singha. My brother in law had a couple of Bulmers Apple cider which he also enjoyed - both bought from our local 7-11.