Fish and Chips

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Fish and Chips

Post by richard »

petercr wrote:
Our quest continues :(
Try Lins
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

:tsk: I asked at Korat Kitchen Friday night if they do real chips with their fish and they said no but I already had plan B in my head which was Lin's. So I ordered takeaway F & C without asking about chips and soooo disappointing when I got home as they also use frozen french fries. :banghead: :banghead: If they can deep fry fish in batter they can fry chips. :cuss:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Did you try the 99 Baht (or whatever it's called these days) cafe? They definitely do real batter and real chips.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

No BB, I went soon after it opened but I opted for Chili Con Carne as it's another dish not widely available and I was hoping my wife would choose F & C so I could eat what she left :munch: but as usual she let me down and chose Bratwurst in Curry Sauce. Not been back since. :offtopic:

Edit : As this topic is now 28 pages who has chosen F & C as their fave food on the newish thread....... :thumb:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Big Boy wrote:Did you try the 99 Baht (or whatever it's called these days) cafe? They definitely do real batter and real chips.
Unfortunately, very little fish!
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My personal stomach capacity, I admit, is not a good yardstick to go by. I cannot manage a whole fish :oops: If we go there, I have to rely upon my son to eat half, which makes his meal more than adequate.

The price is cheap, so if one meal does not satisfy, have 2. I think it would still work out as cheap as other places, and you'd get real chips with your battered fish. They also do mushies if you're that way inclined :munch:

Points 48; Position 20
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Pagey wrote::tsk: I asked at Korat Kitchen Friday night if they do real chips with their fish and they said no but I already had plan B in my head which was Lin's. So I ordered takeaway F & C without asking about chips and soooo disappointing when I got home as they also use frozen french fries. :banghead: :banghead: If they can deep fry fish in batter they can fry chips. :cuss:

The problem stems from the blatantly obvious........

Real chips:

1. Buy potatoes
2. Rinse potatoes
3. Peel potatoes
4. Slice potatoes
5. Rinse sliced potatoes
6. Dry with some paper towel
7. Fry
8. Serve

Frozen chips:

1. Buy
2. Open packet and add some to hot oil
3. Serve

Far less work involved, and less room for error as well.

Most importantly of all.............If McDs use frozen fries, then of course they must be the best option.

Interestingly, I think you might find most Thais love French fries but not chips as we know them.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

I thought the reason restaurants use imported frozen chips is because the local thai potato is not the right type of potato to make chips from ,some potatoes are better for boiling others for roasting and others for French fries,thais potatoes aren't suitable for chips..not because they are too lazy to wash clean,and cut them.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/pohskitchen/st ... 914278.htm

not sure which type is grown in thailand
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Mrs BB manages to make chips with Thai potatoes, and she's had no special training :?

I think Takiap's explanation probably closer to the mark.

Points 48; Position 20
blue05
Guru
Guru

Post by blue05 »

Takiap wrote:
Pagey wrote::tsk: I asked at Korat Kitchen Friday night if they do real chips with their fish and they said no but I already had plan B in my head which was Lin's. So I ordered takeaway F & C without asking about chips and soooo disappointing when I got home as they also use frozen french fries. :banghead: :banghead: If they can deep fry fish in batter they can fry chips. :cuss:

The problem stems from the blatantly obvious........

Real chips:

1. Buy potatoes
2. Rinse potatoes
3. Peel potatoes
4. Slice potatoes
5. Rinse sliced potatoes
6. Dry with some paper towel
7. Fry
8. Serve

Frozen chips:

1. Buy
2. Open packet and add some to hot oil
3. Serve

Far less work involved, and less room for error as well.

Most importantly of all.............If McDs use frozen fries, then of course they must be the best option.

Interestingly, I think you might find most Thais love French fries but not chips as we know them.

:cheers:

there needs to be a 6.5- at this point you boil the potato for a few minutes to remove starch

if you fry straight away you will have hard chips
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

We're still perfecting this triple-cooked method (mainly because it's a bit fiddly and I'm not supposed to eat chips often :oops: ), but it produces the best crispy chips I've ever had. If you like soggy chip-shop chips, leave well alone!

This is the way
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Spot on DTM. Double or triple fry.

Easy but preparation tedious and guaranteed ongoing customers a must

Restaurants are too lazy to do 'em and anyway most customers will accept french fries

Regarding Barry (Victoria) he informs me he is soon to reopen in the evenings but knowing Barry don't hold your breath
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

richard wrote:Regarding Barry (Victoria) he informs me he is soon to reopen in the evenings but knowing Barry don't hold your breath
From what he told me from one Barry to another - he'll be open again as soon as he can find some staff!
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

dtaai-maai wrote:We're still perfecting this triple-cooked method (mainly because it's a bit fiddly and I'm not supposed to eat chips often :oops: ), but it produces the best crispy chips I've ever had. If you like soggy chip-shop chips, leave well alone!

Where to get Maris Piper ( or similar non wet ) potatoes, that's the main problem? I buy mine at the main market in town but sometimes I get floury but it is guess work because the sellers do not know the difference - we need the Irish on this subject to guide us!!
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Well my search is over

Finally found a place that does them to my liking although not thoroughly tested by me personally yet

La Maison Christopher located some kms up Pala U road

Local fish and locally bought potatoes from the local market up there. The fish is deep fried in Chang beer batter and the chips and scraps are triple fried. Mushie peas are available but need 24 hours notice as preparation of correct mushies is a lengthy process
F&C (360 x 475).jpg
F&C (360 x 475).jpg (56.98 KiB) Viewed 334 times
Please note the chips are so good that 'chip nickers' will flock to scavenge (one shown in the picture is the greater spotted horny Bill)
RICHARD OF LOXLEY