Soi 94 - More changes

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
buksida

Re: Soi 94 - More changes

Post by buksida »

Yep, battered fish, chips were the frozen packet ones but no worries.

Take the turning with Bar Tender on the corner, follow that road for a couple of hundred meters and its on your left ... cant post a map as all of those sterile housing developments look the same to me.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Been last 2 days, pasta dishes are great value, Burger is excellent. Have to try the fish and chips! :)
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Thank Buksi. I may try their other dishes but I won't bother with their F & C as 2 other places already mentioned do good F & C with real chips for a similar price. :cheers:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Again!!!! Hours please... are they open for lunch (and breadfast) or only dinner?
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Also, has anyone been to the "Maxican" (yes, that's how they spell it on their sign), European, and Thai food place directly beside Korat kitchen? It's been open about a year but I haven't heard any reviews. I tried to get someone who lives in the neighborhood and has some fine looking sons (or is in only one) to try it and let me know but he ignored my request. :|
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've seen the sign pointing to Korat Kitchen, and we're going to try it soon. So you're saying there's more than one place down there - my son loves Mexican (not sure about Maxican), so maybe he'll review it for you.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Big Boy wrote:
buksida wrote:Went to a great little newly opened place last night on soi 94 called Khorat Kitchen.
Where on Soi 94 please?
It's not on 94. There is a sign on 94 but it's easy to miss.

Heading inland on 94 (that's West for those who can read a compass) take the first left after the building containing the gym and Bar Tender. Khorat Kitchen is about 100m ahead on the left. Maxican is next door.
HHADFan
Professional
Professional

Post by HHADFan »

Recent experiences on Soi 94, going east to west:

Japanese food stall in the parking lot near the new mall:
The missus and I dropped in tonight and had tonkatsu, gyoza, and miso soup. The food stall serves sushi, but I passed. The tonkatsu arrived first and it was okay. Not great, but okay, I'd eat it again. Then the miso soup arrived. I don't know what it was, but it wasn't miso soup. I don't think there was any miso in it. I like Japanese food, I've eaten tons of it, and I'm not hard to please. I buy those little packets of miso soup at Villa Market. The gyoza was recognizable as gyoza, and the sauce was correct, but the gyoza wasn't very good. All that said, we're going back if they're still there in a few weeks - they had a teppanyaki griddle, so maybe that's what they do well. Service was friendly and efficient and it was cheap. 160 baht for what we ordered, including bottled water and ice.

Casa Ae Tapas, Grill, and Thai food:
I'm not extremely familiar with tapas or paella, though I've eaten both on occasion, even in Spain, but that was very long ago. I can't speak about authenticity, but Casa Ae's food tasted good to me. I had baked potatoes with red sauce, calamari, and Spanish omelet the first night and the missus had a salad with (canned from what I could see) tuna, but we both liked our meals, and I had a lot of leftovers. I liked the leftovers so much that we went back for paella a couple of nights later and enjoyed that as well. The owner is from the Canary Islands and stresses that his food is in that style, not in the style of mainland Spain. I thought the leftover paella seemed a little oily the next day, but I enjoyed it. We haven't tried anything from the grill. Portions are big and the prices are reasonable.

There was a For Sale on the restaurant and the owner says he has to sell ASAP and move to Bangkok, even though it's only been open a few weeks. He didn't give a reason and I won't speculate. This is sad, because I think this could have become a regular - reasonable prices, good food, and guaranteed leftovers - the kind of place you go because you don't feel like cooking.

Olivo:
We've had the same thing both times because we enjoyed it so much. I had the Parma ham pizza and the missus had the Caesar salad. We've decided to try something different next time. The owner/chef and his wife are really nice people and it's a quiet, relaxed place. This will probably become a regular restaurant, every two weeks or so.
"We're all living proof nothing lasts" - Jay Farrar
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

Great to hear that Soi 94 is getting more developed. It used to be pretty peaceful walking up that soi from the main drag. I am still likely to stay at the south end of HH when I visit, so nicde to see more places to eat and drink at near by.
Stargeezer
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

We just had a late afternoon lunch at a new(ish) place on Soi 94 called Eat@HuaHin. It is mid range price wise and has an extensive menu including a page of appetizers (western and Thai), 2 pages of soups and salads, a page of Italian pastas and lasagna, 2 or 3 pages of other western mains (mostly German), several pages of Thai food, plus a page of desserts and 2 of drinks.

We thought the food was very good from what we ordered and comparing with other places at or near the same price point. We had 2 glasses of wine, 2 ice teas, 2 appetizers which were baked spinach covered with cheese and chicken satay, 2 main dishes; jaeger schnitzel (2 nice pork fillets smothered in mushroom gravy with sides of a small salad and fried potatoes) and duck curry as well as a good sized dessert consisting of a crepe filled with baked apples with ice cream and whipped cream. The bill came to 855 baht and included no added tax or gratuity.

They have 2 adjacent seating areas, the covered one you see from the street and a nice raised beer garden type of uncovered wooden deck out back (Thai beers were 90 to 100 baht for large sizes, and if memory serves 60 to 70 for small). The decor and surroundings while simple is very clean, functional and really enjoyable in this weather on the deck out back.

And Big Boy, they have chairs that cater to us larger fellas, indoor chairs were hardwood with padded seats and outdoor was steel framed, wooden seat and back also with seat cushions.

Nice lunch and we will go back soon.

They are on Soi 94 about 150 meters west of the railroad track on the south side (street parking only); open 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., closed Mondays. BTW, it was empty at 3 in the afternoon but they told us that so far during this high season you need reservations for dinner as they are usually full evenings. Reservations can be made at 092 939 3402.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

hhfarang wrote:Big Boy, they have chairs that cater to us larger fellas, indoor chairs were hardwood with padded seats and outdoor was steel framed, wooden seat and back also with seat cushions.
I was the one looking in with mouth drooling and clip board in hand getting detail for the Soi 94 map. :wink:

Points 51; Position 21
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Really, did you see us? I would have loved to buy you a beer!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

hhfarang wrote:Really, did you see us? I would have loved to buy you a beer!
:lach: No, I was only looking at the restaurant and bar names. I can't dink beer anyway - it's why I get sent on these missions - no temptation :wink:

Points 51; Position 21
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

hhfarang wrote:We just had a late afternoon lunch at a new(ish) place on Soi 94 called Eat@HuaHin.
We thought the food was very good from what we ordered and comparing with other places at or near the same price point.
And Big Boy, they have chairs that cater to us larger fellas, indoor chairs were hardwood with padded seats and outdoor was steel framed, wooden seat and back also with seat cushions.
Also had a late afternoon lunch there today. Agree the food was very good for the price. Good service with good English skills. The seats? They cater to anyone with a normal back. The backs of most chairs in HH restaurants seem to be designed with low cost as the prime criterion. These seats were designed to fit one's back.
blue05
Guru
Guru

Post by blue05 »

hhfarang wrote:We just had a late afternoon lunch at a new(ish) place on Soi 94 called Eat@HuaHin. It is mid range price wise and has an extensive menu including a page of appetizers (western and Thai), 2 pages of soups and salads, a page of Italian pastas and lasagna, 2 or 3 pages of other western mains (mostly German), several pages of Thai food, plus a page of desserts and 2 of drinks.

We thought the food was very good from what we ordered and comparing with other places at or near the same price point. We had 2 glasses of wine, 2 ice teas, 2 appetizers which were baked spinach covered with cheese and chicken satay, 2 main dishes; jaeger schnitzel (2 nice pork fillets smothered in mushroom gravy with sides of a small salad and fried potatoes) and duck curry as well as a good sized dessert consisting of a crepe filled with baked apples with ice cream and whipped cream. The bill came to 855 baht and included no added tax or gratuity.

They have 2 adjacent seating areas, the covered one you see from the street and a nice raised beer garden type of uncovered wooden deck out back (Thai beers were 90 to 100 baht for large sizes, and if memory serves 60 to 70 for small). The decor and surroundings while simple is very clean, functional and really enjoyable in this weather on the deck out back.

Nice lunch and we will go back soon.

They are on Soi 94 about 150 meters west of the railroad track on the south side (street parking only); open 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., closed Mondays. BTW, it was empty at 3 in the afternoon but they told us that so far during this high season you need reservations for dinner as they are usually full evenings. Reservations can be made at 092 939 3402.
been here a few times and was impressed, however had a tomato soup there last week which was bad

you may think tomato soup could not be bad but these guys serve it with a lump of creme fraise which must had had something wrong with it. As soon as i had finished the soup the watery mouthfuls were starting and I just made it to the bathroom before it all came up

sad really as it was looking like a favourite