Indian restaurants in Hua Hin

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: New Indian Soi 80 / Railway Road

Post by oakdale160 »

Guess there could be British India food --the food in India under the British or British, Indian Food--indian food in the UK
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Of course there is British Indian food....kedgeree and coronation chicken.....I think Balti came from Birmingham?
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

^^ And Mulligatawny soup.
This is the way
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

All Indian restaurants in GB serve a bastardised version of what is called curry. If you watched the fairly recent series featuring Rick Stein touring India, he was cooking food with local people who said that the word "curry" didn't really exist in their vocabulary!!

Anyway, :offtopic: and more of what appears to be a restaurant here in HH serving great British style Indian food!!
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Went there for lunch today

In it's favour, it has Kheema Naan, which is difficult to come by in Hua Hin! We had the mixed non-veg platter which was an assortment of tandoori meats, which was absolutely fantastic. I don't have a reference point compared to other restaurants in HH as we don't normally order tandoori, but it was really good.

On the downside.... we ordered a Vindaloo. We weren't asked about the level of spiciness so when you order a Vindaloo you expect to be able to feel the burn somewhat. What came couldn't even be described as mildly spicy... I don't think a single slice of Chilli made it in.

The food was absolutely delicious, don't get me wrong. And can't fault value, it was just a shame that the curry was so lacking in pep.
blue05
Guru
Guru

Post by blue05 »

Pleng wrote:Went there for lunch today

In it's favour, it has Kheema Naan, which is difficult to come by in Hua Hin! We had the mixed non-veg platter which was an assortment of tandoori meats, which was absolutely fantastic. I don't have a reference point compared to other restaurants in HH as we don't normally order tandoori, but it was really good.

On the downside.... we ordered a Vindaloo. We weren't asked about the level of spiciness so when you order a Vindaloo you expect to be able to feel the burn somewhat. What came couldn't even be described as mildly spicy... I don't think a single slice of Chilli made it in.

The food was absolutely delicious, don't get me wrong. And can't fault value, it was just a shame that the curry was so lacking in pep.
I may have been partly to blame for your lack of spices

I ordered a chicken tikka massala which is traditionally a milld dish and it was packed with chillies, so they changed it. Usually the Indian woman taking the order has asked if spicy or not but this time no ask it it was way too spicy

so for those that like spicy just ask as I know the chef can make it spicy!
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

blue05 wrote: I may have been partly to blame for your lack of spices

I ordered a chicken tikka massala which is traditionally a milld dish and it was packed with chillies, so they changed it. Usually the Indian woman taking the order has asked if spicy or not but this time no ask it it was way too spicy

so for those that like spicy just ask as I know the chef can make it spicy!
Understood but the point is you really shouldn't *have* to ask for a Vindaloo to be spicy! Nor should you have to ask for a tikka massala to be mild :S
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I'm certainly not an Indian food expert, but I went to this restaurant today for lunch with someone who is and we both agreed the food was excellent and the service was wonderful from the friendly Indian lady. My friend wanted a dish that is on the menu with chicken, but he wanted it with mutton instead. He asked the server who asked the cook and no problem, he got his mutton substituted for the chicken. Prices are certainly reasonable as well. We had enough food for three people (I had to bring home a doggie bag), three large beers and a bottle of water and the bill was between 600 and 700 baht.

Excellent place not to be missed imho. By the way, the chef is from Nepal so maybe that is why the spiciness is different than expected by some of you Indian food (or British Indian food) experts.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Sampled the establishment this evening and must say it is one of the best Indian meals I've had in Hua Hin. Efficient and quick service, my Vindaloo was potent as requested, and the other dishes were all very good indeed. A definite +1.

Only thing I will say is that there is no sign in English indicating it is an Indian restaurant (but it does say it on the Thai sign).
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

I went looking for this place the other day on one of my now rare visits to HH but couldn't find it.
Is it actually in soi 80? How is it recognisable?
buksida

Post by buksida »

As you come up Soi 80 towards the railway its on the right-hand corner at the end of the soi, big blue and white awning. Took me a while to find it as there are no English signs, had to stop and read the Thai one.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Thanks buksi, might give it another try tomorrow.
So is it the very last place on the right with a fairly substantial covered outside seating area?
blue05
Guru
Guru

Post by blue05 »

barrys wrote:Thanks buksi, might give it another try tomorrow.
So is it the very last place on the right with a fairly substantial covered outside seating area?
thats it
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

blue05 wrote:
barrys wrote:Thanks buksi, might give it another try tomorrow.
thats it

Thanks a lot, blue05 - will give it a look tomorrow :cheers:
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

I have only heard VERY good comments about this new Indian, and from serious curry lovers too.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.