The Profits of Fast Food Restaurants in Thailand

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

The Profits of Fast Food Restaurants in Thailand

Post by GLCQuantum »

Feel free to move this Mods as I wasn't too sure where to put it. It's a topic which comes up a lot between expats and Pleng's 'Market Village Burger King' post just jogged my memory of it.

Using a Western brand's name and opening up a fast food restaurant here must be a mega money spinner - a guaranteed cash cow.

We live in a country where slave labour is still accepted as normal. The fast food restaurants here (with a 'borrowed' name, if you will) surely take in a fortune. They charge the same costs for their food but their staffing outgoings are a tenth (guesstimation) of the cost in comparison to developed countries. Let's say that to cover one shift in McDonalds they need 4 people on the tills and 8 people out back (I did my stint in McDonalds when I was 16). Back in old blighty the costs of that shift would be...

* 12 people on minimum hourly salary (approx. 5.05 pounds per hour) = 60.60 pounds an hour cost to the restaurant.

* Give those 12 an 8 hour shift each. = 484.80 pounds a shift.

* Ya gonna need two shifts to maintain the restaurant = 969.60 pounds a day. In Thai Baht this is...51,757.96 a day cost for the staff alone

Now lets put all those figures above into a Thai McDonalds, while giving the staff a generous 320 baht for a 12 hour shift plus 120 baht for 4 hours overtime (give or take a few baht, this is gonna be quite close to the mark)

* 12 staff including overtime = 5280 baht - For the WHOLE day!

So the question that tickles my curiosity is...

Just how much does one need to open up a KFC, McD's or BK? I'm thinking maybe 4-5 million plus ongoing rent, but with the massive profit margin, the Thai's growing love for anything that allows them to flaunt their wealth and the fact slave labour is still alive and kicking here surely ensures that you're going to make back your initial investment rather quickly and then get fairly wealthy following that. It's just the initial outlay; one that has no risks of going tits up as long as the location is right.

It doesn't seem possible to lose on it with the cheap labour, same prices and popularity of these western fast food chains.

What are your thoughts on this? :D

:cheers:
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: The Profits of Fast Food Restaurants in Thailand

Post by caller »

The only thought I have is that from recollection, prices of the fast food outlets in Thailand are cheaper than of those in the UK, at least.
Talk is cheap
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

If that's true Caller, that surprises me. Granted it's been 10 years since I've had anything from the UK but I can't remember the prices being that different...(below are just off the internet but they seem about right)

KFC - Zinger Burger - 59 baht (approx. 1 pound 10 pence)

BK - Whopper - 185 baht (approx. 3 pounds 46 pence)

McD's - Big Mac - 80 baht (approx 1 pound something... currency converter just crapped out on me :wink: )

When staffing the place is insultingly (for the Thais) cheaper than back home, there has to be massive profits compared to the restaurants in, say, the U.K. or U.S., I would have thought.

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

What are your thoughts on this?
Why would you want Thais to eat that crap?
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

UK prices as follows-

KFC Zinger.......4.29............229baht

Burger King Whopper...5.29......282 baht

Big Mac......4.19.........224 baht
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

GLCQuantum wrote:80 baht (approx 1 pound something... currency converter just crapped out on me :wink: )
Yes, it's not easy multiplying 8 by 2 without a calculator... :laugh:
This is the way
charlesh
Ace
Ace

Post by charlesh »

What's the bet that the hi so's that dole out the overpriced franchises get the largest piece of cake!!
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

I'd like to know the source of the meat offal they use for the burger patties. Dead buffalos?
Then again - I won't.
:duck:
A friend is only one click away
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

Theories concerning the relative price of fast food to GDP have become mainstream in the past decade as emerging markets have become more developed. 'Burgonomics' has been used to determine whether currencies are generally under or over valued using a common reference point: the Big Mac.

http://www.economist.com/content/big-mac-index

Here you will find Big Mac prices v GDP per person in various currencies and an interactive tool that allows you to critically test the theory that burgers are cheaper in countries with lower labour costs. It's not as clear-cut as a simple comparison of relative labour rates.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I don't know about in Thailand but to get a McDonalds franchise in the US, apparently you first have to go to "hamburger university" which basically seems to consist of working in one of their restaurants for free for a year!
Chromeman
Professional
Professional

Post by Chromeman »

usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Please bear in mind that a burger from 1 of these outlets on say Pet'buri Rd in BKK is 30% cheaper than the very same item in HH.
Chromeman
Professional
Professional

Post by Chromeman »

usual suspect wrote:Please bear in mind that a burger from 1 of these outlets on say Pet'buri Rd in BKK is 30% cheaper than the very same item in HH.
And the burger in HH is probably cheeper than one in Pattaya.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

dtaai-maai wrote:
GLCQuantum wrote:80 baht (approx 1 pound something... currency converter just crapped out on me :wink: )
Yes, it's not easy multiplying 8 by 2 without a calculator... :laugh:
I had no idea what the exchange rate was as the English pound niether concerns me nor ever will in the future. Now that I've looked at it... yes, it's fairly easy to do the (it's about this much) math.

Sorry about that then...

GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

sateeb wrote:UK prices as follows-

KFC Zinger.......4.29............229baht

Burger King Whopper...5.29......282 baht

Big Mac......4.19.........224 baht
Wow...

Are you sure these prices are just for the burger and not the set (I understand the sets are only slightly different, much like a return flight ticket in comparison to a one-way) as they seem very high. The last time I was at McDonalds in the UK (10 years ago) you could buy two cheeseburgers for a pound on special.

Even with those prices, they are still not in line with the profit margin that the Thai fast food restaurants have due to slave labour.