Another alcohol clampdown

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Re: Another alcohol clampdown?

Post by usual suspect »

Well all the Binta-block square of bars will be almost 300m of the H.H. school building next to HH temple..
It's amazing, yet again the issue of alcohol sales to school-kids has to be curbed with such draconian meassures due to
the simple fact that it cannot be policed... :?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I wonder what the visa requirements are to move to Iran..... :cuss:

Better?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Alcohol sales curb wins nod
Alcoholic drinks may not be sold within 300 metres from a school or educational institution, according to an announcement to take effect soon.

The rule also applies to grocery stores and convenience stores but not wholesale facilities.

The exceptions are hotel compounds and shops in entertainment zones such as the Ratchada, Patpong and RCA areas in Bangkok.

The decision was made at Friday's meeting of the National Alcohol Drinks Policy Board, chaired by Deputy Prime Minister Yongyuth Yuthavong.

The announcement will from now be sent to the prime minister for final approval. It will take effect 30 days after being published in the Royal Gazette to give existing sellers time to adjust themselves.

Public Health Minister Rajata Rajatanavin said after the meeting the ban aimed to curb the number of establishments selling alcoholic drinks around educational institutions, which more than doubled in some areas.

"To make the rule more effective, educational institutions will be asked to instil in students conscience about the dangers of drinking. A panel will also be set up to steadily follow up on the effectiveness of the rule and evaluate impacts on sellers," he added.

Anti-drinking groups have been urging governments to adopt the measure for seven years, citing the rising number of young drinkers, said Singkran Pakchokedee, director of the StopDrink Network.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... b-wins-nod
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

"Alcoholic drinks may not be sold within 300 metres from a school or educational institution, according to an announcement to take effect soon."

My word that's a hell of a task... where I'm currently residing there must be a school every 100-200 meters, I kid you not. So essentially, the whole town will become an alcohol free zone.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

GLCQuantum wrote:"Alcoholic drinks may not be sold within 300 metres from a school or educational institution, according to an announcement to take effect soon."

My word that's a hell of a task... where I'm currently residing there must be a school every 100-200 meters, I kid you not. So essentially, the whole town will become an alcohol free zone.

You'll be alright though GLC :rasta:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

kendo wrote:
GLCQuantum wrote:"Alcoholic drinks may not be sold within 300 metres from a school or educational institution, according to an announcement to take effect soon."

You'll be alright though GLC :rasta:
That I will Kendo... that I will. :D
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Apparently this new restriction was signed off by the Junta yesterday and comes into force within 30 days. Are there any university or higher educational establishments around Hua Hin that would have any effect?
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

look at th map in bangkok:

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/07/23/b ... rohibition

as some have pointed out here, there is a school next to soi bintabaht. :)

a school next to Market Village... and schools all over the place.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Another alcohol clampdown?

Post by Henry 14th »

Although it doesn't affect me directly It seems very harsh on those it does affect.

Don't want schools kids buying booze? Demand ID at the point of sale and hit vendors hard that abuse the law.

It's the same old story of providing a solution but enforcing the act seems impossible to the point of absurd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkkghkc. Molk a
A

ZvV
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

JamesWest wrote:look at th map in bangkok:

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/07/23/b ... rohibition

as some have pointed out here, there is a school next to soi bintabaht. :)

a school next to Market Village... and schools all over the place.
If it was within 300m of any school there wouldn't be hardly any bars left in Thailand but it's not, it's tertiary or vocational educational establishments which, I suppose, is anything after normal schooling. Certainly in Bangkok there are many of those in the city but I can't think of any actually in Hua Hin itself, there are several outside the city but they probably don't have any bars or restaurants that near to them.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

"All sales of alcohol near schools nationwide, without exemption or exception, were banned yesterday under a vaguely worded order from the military government."

"The law includes all schools, not just high schools and universities. The law includes no exceptions or exemptions. The law went into immediate effect. Yesterday."

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/07/24/s ... now-effect
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

while i am sure this is not going to be enforced...
and there seems to be confusion about high schools and ALL TYPES of schools being included.
i made a map of bintabaht area... circle approx. 300 m from school.
Is this area considered an entertainment area? i guess so.
Attachments
bar vs school.jpg
bar vs school.jpg (90.52 KiB) Viewed 385 times
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

and I just read on aother forum that a restaurant owner in Loi Kroh Rd Chiang Mai has just being told no more alcohol sales effective august 19th because he is within 250 m of a school.

It looks like Saxaphone Club and all the bars near it are just within 300 m of a school to the North.

Thai TV saying high schools are included.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Thai TV saying high schools are included.
This Junta seems intent on turning Thailand into a pretty boring place for no real good reason as I've spent many an hour in Thai bars and I don't remember ever seeing them being exactly a magnet for high school children.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

STEVE G wrote:I don't remember ever seeing them being exactly a magnet for high school children.
Unless they're selling flowers, or some other useless piece of tat.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20