Favourite International DIshes with a Story to Go

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Favourite International DIshes with a Story to Go

Post by Frank La Rue »

INTRO (bear with me, I am going somewhere with this - or maybe I should say "I am going somehwere with dish" )

There are four countries which cuisine has made an impact on me:

1. United Kingdom:

a. Liver with mash in onion gravy
b. Bangers and mash
c. Fish & Chips
d. Sunday Roast with honey glazed parsnips and Grand Ma's roast potatoes & Yorkshire Pudding
e. Veal Milanese in an Italian staffed restaurant in the UK - you find them all over the place

2. Japan

a. Snacky Teppanyaki
b, Yakatori
c. Korean Barbeque - but in a Korean restaurant in Japan ( I have had Korean BBQ in Seoul, but note same,
same, different)

3. Thailand

a. Fried fish, Tum Yum, Chicken Cashew nuts, and everything else not too spicey or too spicey

4. Switzerland

a. Zurcher geschnetzteles mit Roesti - preferrably at Peter und Paul oben auf dem Huegel in St. Gallen
b- Kalbsleber
b. Rachlette
d. Chaese Fondue

I have previously been of good fortune to get exellent advice on where to get a good Sunday Roast in HH - see separate thread. I will subsquently proceed to discuss the other dishes on the above country - menu.

Next: Cheese Fondue
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Re: Swiss Cheese Fondue

Post by Frank La Rue »

Swiss Cheese Fondue

I unexpectedly got an email from the left - well, actually from Switzerland, about 8 months ago. It was from the son of a man whith whom I shared a flat 40 years ago.

We were both young and new to the town of St. Gallen in Switzerland, I was there to commence my studies and he was there as a young "Hochbauzeichner" to commence his first job.

We both rented at an old lady who rented out rooms, he had a guitar and some bread and cheese, we played and sung into the night with cheese and bread in between and agreed to rent a flat together. His girlfried at the time stayed with him/us occassionally and eventually gave birth to their son a couple of years after our ways parted, upon my graduation and his relocation to Zurich.

Our cohabitation was quite friendly and without conflicts - now his son was on the line inviting me to join them for his father's 60th birthday. Intuitively I enthusiastically endorsed the idea and booked tickets for myself, wife and young La Rue.
I found a hotel in walking distance from the venue and we settled in. Memories came back and I enjoyed food I have not had for 35 years.

Time did not permit us to try everything, so my friend gave me a pack of Cheese Fondue to make at home. In Norway over Christmas I followed the receipt on the packadge, got advice on white wine suitable for fondue, what kirsh to add, pepper and garlic, I bought the equipment for heating it on the table at home and cranked it up.

My wife did not really take to it, but I made it 4 times in 2 months. I enjoy it very much in the winter and will eat from time to time. Now obviously comes the 10K baht question - Where to find Cheese fondue in Hua Hin?
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Re: Swiss Cheese Fondue

Post by Pagey »

There was a place called Larry's Fondue on Naresdami (sp?) but as I very rarely go down there I don't know if it still exists.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Re: Favourite International DIshes with a Story to Go

Post by Frank La Rue »

All - the idea is that you can all comment on dishes you are fond of with a story to go - usually there are personal experiences associated with our favourite foods - and then we can see if it is to be had in HH