New food court at MV

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

New food court at MV

Post by oakdale160 »

I have been away for several weeks. This evening I was in the basement at MV and see that there isa new food court at least twice as big as the one on the ground floor. On looking at the offerings i noticed that there were several vendors with very chinese friendly offerings. I wonder if the management at MV is being smart. Some places in Thai, Chiang Mai for instance, are over run with hoards of Chinese who travel in big groups, somertimes 200 together. No restaurant can handle this and mall food courts are ideal. I dont know when the Chinese hoards will descend on HH but am sure that it is WHEN not IF.
And by the way before they come , it is a given that that they will be noisy , rude and pushy, get ready.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Re: New food court at MV

Post by huahin4ever »

I've tested this food court on a few occasions, and wouldn't say I'm overly impressed. On two occasions what I wanted to order was not available, and this was at two different stalls and both stalls listed the course as one of their main courses. On another occasion what I ate was on average not any better than what is served in the food court on 1st floor. My wife though, says that the chicken/roasted pork stall in the basement is better than the chicken/rice stall on 1st. floor.

Anyway, from time to time, I like the possibility to go to these food courts since they provide easy, quick, inexpensive food when you want a quick bite.
YNWA
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

I really wish there were more beef(cattle) meat products available in Thailand, instead of just pork and chicken.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

??There's enough beef around.

Most mid-range places (dishes 1-200bt sort of places) have a couple of beef dishes on there menu. Usual suspects are beef in black pepper (nua pad prink thai dum), paneang curry(paneang nua) or spricy beef salad (yam nua).

There are a few places in the new food court that have beef based dishes, if I remember correctly.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The main issue is that good quality beef is normally imported (usually Australia) and the price is at least 3-4 times the cost of pork or chicken, so most Thais (and a lot of farangs) won't pay the going rate. Local beef Is more competitive price wise, (although still more expensive than pork/chicken) but the quality can be suspect.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Local beef can be of decent quality (take Chokchai Farm for instance) but needs to be cooked medium-rare at the most or it will become too tough. As I am mostly in Bangkok I get my meats from Foodland. Villa market is too far away. ..
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Re:

Post by Name Taken »

VincentD wrote:Local beef can be of decent quality (take Chokchai Farm for instance) but needs to be cooked medium-rare at the most or it will become too tough. As I am mostly in Bangkok I get my meats from Foodland. Villa market is too far away. ..
Is Chokchai Farm the only beef producer/cattle farm in Thailand?
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

^^ Thai french Beef also produce their own cattle
http://www.thaifrenchbeef.com/PYK_ENG.html
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Bristolian -

Do the Thaifrench beef company supply any stores in the Hua HIn vicinity? I tried to email from your link but the email 'bounced back'!
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

The French butcher on 88 :munch:
This is the way
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

dtaai-maai wrote:The French butcher on 88 :munch:
and he has some cuts you dont get in makro, market village or local market to a good price in my opinion :munch:

:cheers: :cheers:
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Villa will also often sell Thai French beef at their stores in BKK but I have never checked Villa in HH. We are having a BBQ on Saturday and I will go to Villa tomorrow and check. I'll let you know if it's available here.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain