Thai Food of the Moment

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Thai Food of the Moment

Post by hhinner »

^ I wonder if the sweetness is a regional thing. When we lived in Bangkok and would come to Hua Hin for a break my wife often remarked that yams (including Som Tam) were sweeter than she usually found in Bangkok. To my taste, I think that also applies to some other dishes as well, such as paneng, pad siew and kuay tiao.
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Thai Food of the Moment

Post by Henry 14th »

Perhaps you are right, I think the further south you go the sweeter the foods seems to get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkkghkc. Molk a
A

ZvV
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Pleng wrote:As a Laab fan have you ever tried Laab Tood? Deep fried balls of Larb; a very nice with-beer snack (if you can find a restaurant over 300Km from a school, that is...)
Just tried to order it at my local larb shop and they uttered the infamous Thai phrase - "mai mii". Will go on a search to try it somewhere else.

:cheers:
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Re Yam Nua

I've never tried it at yellow house, but for me the best one I've had by far is the one at Rom Mai.

Re Laab Tood; it's not something you'll probably find at most som tam stalls; you need to look towards the slightly bigger restaurants. It's available at some of the Thai style bars, too. The only place I know by name that does it in Hua Hin (I know that's not very useful for you, GLC) is Yok Krok, near Market Village.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Not Thai food I know, but how nice it was to able to buy 10 freshly made and generously filled vegetarian samosas in Burma yesterday, and that for just 30 baht. At 3 baht each, I bought 10, and then decided I might as well take all the remaining ones as well. :D

Surely samosas in Hua-Hin should be far cheaper than they currently are.

Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Takiap wrote: Surely samosas in Hua-Hin should be far cheaper than they currently are.
Hua Hin = Expensive
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Not trying to antagonise, but I've no idea where to buy samosas in Hua Hin, or how much they cost. Maybe it depends upon where you buy them.

Assuming its Indian food, I was with a friend a couple of nights ago, and he bought Chicken Masala with yellow rice, 2 Onion Bagees (excuse spelling please :oops: ), a Nan Bread plus a spinach & potato side dish - cost 120 Baht, which I considered very reasonable. So Indian food doesn't have to be expensive.

[Edit] Moderating myself :D . This thread is of course about Thai Food so :offtopic: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Any of the many Indian restaurants (some good and some bad) will sell samosas. The best I've had was at the top of soi 80 but I gather that's gone down hill since it changed hands.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I've just been eating khai mott deng (ไข่มดแดง), red ant eggs. Apparently it's a seasonal 'delicacy'. Jolly tasty it is too.
It's obviously not just the eggs, so I asked what it was cooked with. The rest of the ant, apparently. Fair enough, but I'm glad I asked afterwards.
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Not had this dish for quite some time and cannot remember the name.. :oops:

It was an appetizer/snack and basically it was a spicy (not too spicy) pork mince, with chopped chilies, lemongrass etc. and you wrapped it in a lettuce leaf (or similar) before munching away - anyone have a clue to what this dish is called?
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Laa(r)b, I think.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

lomuamart wrote:Laa(r)b, I think.
Cheers Lomu - certainly sounds like it! :thumb:

Found this on the Net - http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/16894/thai+pork+larb

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

dtaai-maai wrote:I've just been eating khai mott deng (ไข่มดแดง), red ant eggs. Apparently it's a seasonal 'delicacy'. Jolly tasty it is too.
It's obviously not just the eggs, so I asked what it was cooked with. The rest of the ant, apparently. Fair enough, but I'm glad I asked afterwards.

I think you get two different variants. I've had a dish where only the eggs are used, collected from pod-like leaf nests found in some trees. The other day I also noticed packets of eggs and ants, and I was amazed to discover it costs more than imported beef or lamb. A tiny packet, about 6 or 7 tbsp, 50 baht. :shock:

Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

When I lived in Bangkok, Ekamai Soi 63, there was a small Thai restaurant that sold "Japanese style fried pork" it was called "muu iipun". It was really tasty and I've never found this kind of pork dish elsewhere. It was like your ordinary Japanese style deep fried pork but the pork itself was much moisterer that what you get in deep fried Japanese pork. Has anybody come across this dish? They fried the pork first and then rolled it in the batter before deep frying it but it must be the batter that made it special, I guess.