Thai Food of the Moment

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Thai Food of the Moment

Post by GLCQuantum »

In England, I used to go through phases with chocolate bars. I went through a Dime Bar phase, a Galaxy Caramel phase, a Mars Bar phase, a Crunchie phase and a Creme Egg phase (when they started selling them all year round). These 'phases' never happened with dinnertime meals though. In Thailand it most certainly has.

If I could afford to, I wouldn't eat Thai food and would stick to Western food every day but, unfortunately, that's the reality - I can't afford to go out for a good steak and chips every day.

When I first came to Thailand, I always ate fried rice (khao phat) as it was all I could order in Thai. Then came the noodle soup phase (Kuay Teaw) as it was all I could afford. After this came a papaya salad (som tam)/grilled chicken (gai yang) with sticky rice (khao niao) phase. Then came a pork leg phase (Khao Kha Moo).

11 years later and I find myself at another phase... spicy thai chicken/duck salad (larb gai/bpet) with sticky rice. I've eaten this every day now for over two weeks and I'm a thinkin' this one's gonna be a long phase. Goes great with a beer. You need to make sure the shop gets your spice levels right as too much or too little spice can spoil the dish.

:cheers:

Pleng
Legend
Legend

Re: Thai Food of the Moment

Post by Pleng »

I prefer Nak Tok. Essentially the same dish but with real slices of meat. VERY difficult to find it with Duck here in Hua Hin, but can be found with pork in all the normal SomTammaries.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

I prefer Nak Tok. Essentially the same dish but with real slices of meat. VERY difficult to find it with Duck here in Hua Hin, but can be found with pork in all the normal SomTammaries.
I too like that, (I think you had a small typo - 'Nam Tok') and also had a short phase on it back in 2012-13, which I'd forgotten about. :D

'Nam Tok' - Thai waterfall beef salad.

Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

As a Laab fan have you ever tried Laab Tood? Deep fried balls of Larb; a very nice with-beer snack (if you can find a restaurant over 300Km from a school, that is...)
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

^
I have not eaten them nor heard of them before your post. I'm now looking forward to trying them...

Fried spicy salad pork ball (Larb Tod). Looks and sounds good to me.

Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Used to eat a lot of Khao Man Kai in my early years in Thailand (early 90's) when going out to the bars. In my last years in Hua Hin, khao kha muu and khao naa pet where my favourites. Bamii kiao also one that I would devour every now and then.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

^

Red roast duck on rice served with broth (khao naa pet) sounds good.

Wonton noodles (bami kiao) just looks like noodle soup with wontons thrown in. Still good though, I'm sure.

hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I pretty much tired of Thai food over the years but when the missus asks me if I want her to cook some (she's an excellent Issan style cook) I always ask for one of two dishes, either larb gai (as pictured in the op) or a spicy salad with either seafood, pork or my personal favorite beef.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I've pretty much gone off Thai food, probably because it was all I ate for around ten years. I suddenly remembered/got a craving for mashed potatoes one day, and I've been eating home cooked Farang food ever since. I do still enjoy Thai chicken soup but the kind Thais make at home. I've never seen it at any restaurant here, probably because it takes quite long to prepare, and not the sort of dish you could or would make just for one or two people.
I also still enjoy all coconut milk based dishes, but I rarely order them. Instead I make Indian style curry with coconut milk which in my opinion is just as nice, if not better.

GLC, "nam tok" can also refer to the addition of blood with certain dishes such as noodles.

Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Thai Food of the Moment

Post by Henry 14th »

GLCQuantum wrote:^
I have not eaten them nor heard of them before your post. I'm now looking forward to trying them...

Fried spicy salad pork ball (Larb Tod). Looks and sounds good to me.

Yeah these things are awesome, easily my favourite Thai snack. Spicy, meaty, crispy and full of the Thai herby flavours.

Be warned, the morning after could be uncomfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkkghkc. Molk a
A

ZvV
ImageImage
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Khao na ped (sorry to mix the spellings... but khao na pet sounds like 'rice under spicy' to me) is also one of my favourites - I usually have it once or twice a week.

Had a spicy beef salad (Yam Nua) for lunch today - had been craving that for a couple of days.

I'm also heavily into my Khao Soi (Northern curry/soup with boiled noodles and crisp deep fried noodles) these days.

One dish I find interesting (in the way I tend to consume it) is paad krapraow... meat stir friend in chilli and holy basil. I always used to describe it as the Thai equivalent of a cone of chips... in that it's what you often plump for when you're out and hungry but can't decide what you really want to eat. I used to eat it a lot when I came here holidaying but 3 years after moving here I still hadn't had it a single time. Then, at the end of one beer filled evening, my girlfriend and I both decided we really fancied a plate of it - the following week we probably had it 3 or 4 times. Since then I tend to go a couple of weeks without it then have it two or three times within a short period.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Very much of the moment, I've just finished a plate of Phat si-io, and jolly tasty it was too!
phat si-io.JPG
phat si-io.JPG (12.75 KiB) Viewed 1258 times
This is the way
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Pleng wrote: Had a spicy beef salad (Yam Nua) for lunch today - had been craving that for a couple of days.

I'm also heavily into my Khao Soi (Northern curry/soup with boiled noodles and crisp deep fried noodles) these days.

Spicy Salad ( Yam nua/talay...) is always a good one.

But I'd never heard of 'Khao soi' before today. A rich Thai coconut-curry noodle soup with a Burmese influence. Different recipies everywhere you try it apparently.

Will give that a whirl soon once I've finished my laarb phase.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ For those lovers of Yam Nua (spicy beef salad); for years I went to the Sirin Hotel restaurant for this dish as it was the best I could find in Hua Hin, then discovered Yellow House who had an equally good one but bigger so more for the money. Both of those rival the one my wife makes at home although occasionally the beef was tougher at Yellow House so less consistent.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Thai Food of the Moment

Post by Henry 14th »

I agree here hhfarang. I found the Yam Nua at yellow house to be the best in HH.

They seem to get the balance of the sauce spot on, whereas many others catering for the foreigners tend to make it too sweet for my taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkkghkc. Molk a
A

ZvV