McDonald's in Thailand

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: McDonald's in Thailand

Post by oakdale160 »

OK, Name Taken, they only serve the B'fast menu unti 11am, but at 11.01 tomorrow you can rush in and ordera DOUBLE CHEESEBURGER, please inform your coronary arteries that a big load of cholesterol is on its way.!!
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

YNWA
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ URL edited so it works.

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

VincentD wrote:A beef burger would work in Malaysia as it would be halal. Beef is not popular in Thailand so a lot of the burgers are pork based. So from a business point of view the choice is quite clear.
Either way they still taste like cardboard.

Sometimes on the motorway (Hwy 7) coming back from Chonburi, I'd park opposite the McD's, cross the overpass and get a decent burger from Burger King.
I have noticed that to, and I have never really understood why Beef is so unpopular here in Thailand.
In 7/11 they have a 'bacon cheeseburger' which is basically a pork patty and bacon(pork) and I think it's disgusting. Pork is a really fatty meat.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Could it be that much of the beef is from cows that were milkers and have outlived their ability to produce milk rather than cattle that was raised for their meat.
Pork in the west is much less fatty than before , but I have to say the Thai pork in the supermarkets looks very fatty.

My McDs favorite is a b'fast of Egg McMufin and hot tea; EM 300cals minimal fat -- tea with no sugar--- 89b for the two.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Up to about ten years ago, beef was very popular and you'd find beef ball kway tiao on almost every street corner. Then there was a scare about bad beef (not sure if Mad Cow's or something else) but it never came back to the same levels of consumption and stays that way.

So the only way to get your beef fix is to visit a steak house or do it yourself.
Burger outlets with a high tourist turnover still carry some but you have to specify beef.
วินเชนท์
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Where I live there is no McDonalds, anywhere in the country, so to visit a country with an outlet makes a pleasant change. On the other hand because here is an ex French protectorate they left a legacy of a lot of bakeries selling great bread, baguettes baked several times a day for around 7 pence, a variety of brown breads, olive, onion or pepper bread, maximum price 30 pence. What do we crave when we visit the UK? A sliced white bread sandwich. Makes no sense really.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

You are Sooooooooooooo right " Makes no sense really"
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

It's always been a mystery to me, this thing with McDonalds in Thailand. My wife's sisters kids always make us stop at a McDonalds when we're out and about.Any other food remotely western though, they shy. I can't see how the reconcile the two diets.
Someone talked about Ginza, Tokyo - I used to go there with my japanese employer many years ago and we had samurai burgers. In the early nineties we sat up a factory in Rojana Industrial Park, our company used to book us into Hotel Montien at the very entrance of Patpong, for the last night. They then took us out for a meal and a bit of R n R, I remember finding the Samurai burger at the McDOnalds by that very entrance to Patpong. I was told there were about 40' thousand japanese in BKK at the time fueling the demand for it. As far as I recall the thing was the sour creme whivh made it different. After umphteen beers is sure was a great night snack!
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.