McDonald's in Thailand

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

McDonald's in Thailand

Post by Name Taken »

I have for years been curious as to why McDonald's offers the quarter pounder with cheese in their Malaysian fast food restaurants but does not offer the quarter pounder with cheese in their Thailand fast food restaurants. Does anyone know why this is? Let's try to get to the bottom of this. :)
I have to say this is one of my most intelligent and best posts yet!
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: McDonald's in Thailand

Post by oakdale160 »

540 calories, 28g of fat!!!!
I think they are doing their customers a favor by not carrying it.
Seriously, if you go to McDonalds Nutritional tables you will see the huge number of products that they have. No franchise carries them all.
Last month they had a great temporary offering--A Salmon burger at 69b, really delicious.
And I have to congratulate you on you most intelligent post yet!!!!!
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

Name Taken wrote:I have for years been curious as to why McDonald's offers the quarter pounder with cheese in their Malaysian fast food restaurants but does not offer the quarter pounder with cheese in their Thailand fast food restaurants.
I'm with oakdale, I mean why would you even want it!!

It never ceases to amaze me the people that eat that stuff, particularly in countries where they have fabulous local cusine. When I lived in Tokyo it had the McD outlet that sold the most burgers daily of anywhere in the world, downtown on the swank Ginza of all places and then when I lived in Rome, I used to really struggle to understand why people would queue out the door at the McD outlet on the Piazza di Spagna at the weekends and no, they weren't all tourists, in fact they were very predominantly Italian!!! :banghead: :banghead:
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I don't think I've ever had a McDonalds in Thailand but I've just looked at their website and they have this which surely has enough calories for any appetite!

http://www.mcthai.co.th/menu_content.ph ... &menuid=12
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Its easy to eat and kids love it. Their marketing is superb although in the US thay are struggling. A series of chains that are Mcds plus have evolved with a little better tasting food at only slightly higher prices. I find Starbucks more difficult to understand--Coffee is no better than OK at hugely inflated prices. I remember one of my early days in BKK, I had a great meal on the street--Chicken with rice and a bowl of chicken soup followed by Mango/sticky rice ---all for 70b. Then i went to SB and had a coffee for 80b--I thought, there is something wrong here.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Not that I would advocate eating at McDs but you just might be better off eating a quarter pounder than the aveage serving of Pad Thai which is geneally heavy on refined carbs, loaded with oil and fat and high in sodium
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

There is only one word to describe McDonalds - anywhere.............SHITE :roll:
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Not a McDonalds fan. A large, heavy fat and calorie burger does hit the spot sometimes though. I always prefer a less mass produced burger when I do want one, damn the calories! Luckily Bang Saphan has a great place for a burger (Thanks Country Road!!).

Menus vary at McD's. When I lived in Maine they offered a lobster roll, and, in winter, soups. Have to admit I did get their lobster roll a few times. Not a bad quick fix!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

I used to drive to work every day from West of London to Loughton, in Essex, which meant an early morning crawl on the M25. On arrival, there was a McDs very close to my office and an egg and bacon Mcmuffin, with coffee, was the only the only saviour of my morning.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

A beef burger would work in Malaysia as it would be halal. Beef is not popular in Thailand so a lot of the burgers are pork based. So from a business point of view the choice is quite clear.
Either way they still taste like cardboard.

Sometimes on the motorway (Hwy 7) coming back from Chonburi, I'd park opposite the McD's, cross the overpass and get a decent burger from Burger King.
วินเชนท์
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I dont get your point, presumably in Malaysia burgers and 1/4 pounders are beef based and in Thai both would be pork based.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

They took down my post but lets Terry's stand?

He pays and I don't. 555
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

centermid7 wrote:They took down my post but lets Terry's stand?

He pays and I don't. 555
I've just checked the logs, and nothing has been taken down. Are you sure that you didn't simply cross another post? I've done it many times, and yes, it's annoying.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Yes migrant, in the Eastern provinces of Canada including your neigbour New Brunswick, they have lobster rolls in the summer. When we drove east and crossed the Quebec/NB border we would stop at the first McDs and eat Atlantic lobster--I'm drooling as I type this post.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Name Taken wrote:I have for years been curious as to why McDonald's offers the quarter pounder with cheese in their Malaysian fast food restaurants but does not offer the quarter pounder with cheese in their Thailand fast food restaurants.
They do. It's called a double cheeseburger.
Talk is cheap