Direct from Grower leafy vegetables.

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Direct from Grower leafy vegetables.

Post by Bluesky »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (147.3 KiB) Viewed 4669 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (119.9 KiB) Viewed 4669 times
Stopped in at Dek Suan veggie farm located on Soi 112 today. It is a fairly new hydroponics business that grow and supply leafy veg direct.We had to pre order some items as they were not ready for harvest until Monday. No pesticides are used with fine mesh screening used to protect vulnerable plants. They are looking to increase varieties in the future. The owner speaks good English. Attached is their current range of produce and map for anyone interested.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Ericg
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Direct from Grower leafy vegetables.

Post by Ericg »

Great post
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've tried hydroponic grown vegetables and for me, apart from being expensive, much of the flavour is lost compared with conventionally grown produce. A good test is to try a tomato from each system. The tomato grown in soil is far more tasty then those grown in a hydroponics solution.
Furthermore there are questions about the nutritional value. It depends on what minerals are in the solution used and there are certain benefits of naturally grown produce that can't be reproduced in a solution.
A great system for farmers and for the environment but questionable advantages for the consumer. It's not for me but that's my personal opinion.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

HHTel wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:44 am
A great system for farmers and for the environment but questionable advantages for the consumer. It's not for me but that's my personal opinion.
Yes, I agree. I have given it a try in the past but was not very impressed at all.
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Assuming it’s the same business, about 6 years ago I lived on Soi 114 and used to buy lettuce from there which at the time was the only veg they sold. I don’t recall it being tasteless and I’m pretty sure that they didn’t use pesticides, so for me it was a healthier way of eating - price wise it was about the same as buying standard lettuce at Tesco or the markets, but picked fresh, in fact you were given a basket and you picked your own.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Hydroponic veggies are typically cheaper than that from the supermarkets. Remember buying a whole sack of lettuce for next to nothing in Kanchanaburi.
Have also tried my hand at home hydroponics, they mature at around the same time, so first you wait, then there's too much produce..
วินเชนท์
mikeonthai
Novice
Novice

Post by mikeonthai »

Thanks guys. Will have a look and try them. Worried about pesticides!!