Nescafe

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Big Boy

Re: Nescafe

Post by Big Boy »

Tesco Gold is going to be my Plan C, but if that fails, it could well be Plan E.

I've still got 3 boxes of Moccona to get through first. I dumped a load of the Nescafe, it's getting too expensive to dump any more.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

handdrummer wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:10 pm
HHTel wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:25 pm Where do these executives learn their maths skills?
Thailand's overall coffee market amounts to 18 billion baht a year.

Of the total, some 14 billion bahtt is captured by 3-in-1 coffee, 4 billion baht by instant coffee and 12 billion baht by ready-to-drink coffee.
The same place hey learned their English.
And of course nobody drinks filter coffee. :laugh:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

I got these 2 ,and grind hole beans for a week, taste much better than the instant crap :duck:

https://shop11399.hstatic.dk/upload_dir ... 913-01.jpg

https://shop11399.hstatic.dk/upload_dir ... 9_5220.jpg

:cheers: :cheers: in coffe
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I'm a strange beast - I prefer the instant crap, but I hate this scum, which is being introduced.

Points 41; Position 18
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

:mrgreen: I know and each to their own, i use instant in my Irish coffe :shock:

:cheers: :cheers:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I don’t drink instant coffee these days, but we had a visitor recently who was drinking these instant sachets available from Makro as either a 2 in 1 (coffee and whitener) or 3 in 1 (with added sugar). He reckons they were the best he had tasted of this type of coffee
71D32C49-1D0A-4381-9DAA-A4874416432A.jpeg
71D32C49-1D0A-4381-9DAA-A4874416432A.jpeg (99.95 KiB) Viewed 660 times
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I would never suggest that people should prefer the taste of fresh ground coffee over instant, personal choice is paramount, but I would like to ask what's preferred in the taste of instant to beans ground at the moment of infusing, which I think must be a more intense flavour?

Is it just a more familiar taste, or is there something that actually makes it taste better?

Really curious. :)
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

I much prefer ground coffee to instant coffee, for my first cup of the day. My perception is that there are just more aromatic oils in the ground coffee, but also it’s what you get used to – I’ve got used to enjoying instant coffee (after a few days) when ground coffee was not available.

I’ve bought several cheap drip filter machines over the years but usually left them behind when moving. I even carried a plastic conical filter for a while – they can be bought in Daiso (to sit on top of cup with paper filter) but the coffee is not so hot unless you warm the cup first and the filter papers are a nuisance.

Now I just put a large spoon of ground coffee into a tall cup, pour on boiling water and let it settle for a minute. Remove any grains floating on top with same spoon and coffee is ready to drink. There is an inch of ground coffee in the bottom which can be flushed down the sink later. The coffee is good, but not yet worked out if it’s better to use coarse grain or fine grain for less ‘flotation’. If you like Turkish coffee, a few floaters are harmless. I remember a ground coffee in Indonesia called “Bali Dancer”, I think it was finely ground and the grounds quickly sank to the bottom.

From what I’ve read, ground coffee has the better taste as inferior beans are used for instant coffee, plus oil flavours are lost in the instant coffee processing. Apparently, there are good instant coffees around – made with better beans and more expensive processing – maybe some as mentioned above.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

JohnD wrote:I much prefer ground coffee to instant coffee, for my first cup of the day. My perception is that there are just more aromatic oils in the ground coffee, but also it’s what you get used to – I’ve got used to enjoying instant coffee (after a few days) when ground coffee was not available.

I’ve bought several cheap drip filter machines over the years but usually left them behind when moving. I even carried a plastic conical filter for a while – they can be bought in Daiso (to sit on top of cup with paper filter) but the coffee is not so hot unless you warm the cup first and the filter papers are a nuisance.

Now I just put a large spoon of ground coffee into a tall cup, pour on boiling water and let it settle for a minute. Remove any grains floating on top with same spoon and coffee is ready to drink. There is an inch of ground coffee in the bottom which can be flushed down the sink later. The coffee is good, but not yet worked out if it’s better to use coarse grain or fine grain for less ‘flotation’. If you like Turkish coffee, a few floaters are harmless. I remember a ground coffee in Indonesia called “Bali Dancer”, I think it was finely ground and the grounds quickly sank to the bottom.

From what I’ve read, ground coffee has the better taste as inferior beans are used for instant coffee, plus oil flavours are lost in the instant coffee processing. Apparently, there are good instant coffees around – made with better beans and more expensive processing – maybe some as mentioned above.
I’m sure you’re correct as the image I posted above shows the instant coffee is made with 100% Arabica beans which are generally regarded as superior to Robusta beans, but the same goes for freshly brewed coffee - Arabica beans will produce a better tasting coffee to those made from Robusta beans ( to most people’s taste).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

John D. I think you would like a 1 person (1 cup) sized cafetiere for travelling, or just for one cup of ground coffee at home. They're great taste wise and take in no space/weight in your suitcase.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:03 pm
I’m sure you’re correct as the image I posted above shows the instant coffee is made with 100% Arabica beans which are generally regarded as superior to Robusta beans, but the same goes for freshly brewed coffee - Arabica beans will produce a better tasting coffee to those made from Robusta beans ( to most people’s taste)
Arabica beans come predominently from S. America whilst Robusta are mainly from East Africa. Kenya coffee is very highly rated and commands high prices in Europe.
I personally use Moccona Royal Gold which is from Arabica beans but there are many other types of Moccona which have a totally different taste. Actually DANNY I think it was you who recommended this to me some 4/5 years ago when I asked on the Forum what was considered the best instant coffee!!! -
Big Boy says he is going to change from Moccona - so what type was he buying as they have about 5 and very different in taste too.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

PET wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:21 pm Big Boy says he is going to change from Moccona - so what type was he buying as they have about 5 and very different in taste too.
HaHa, you've got me wondering now. I'd noticed what I thought was a new design on the box. Have I bought a different variety?

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You can give this instant a try if so inclined. About 25 Baht per cup, box of 12 around 300 Baht + - Pete :cheers:

phpKe99U8AM.jpg
phpKe99U8AM.jpg (133 KiB) Viewed 485 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

I’ve just bought the “ESSENSO” instant coffee (see second photo above).

It has similar description to the Starbucks instant coffee (see first photo above) i.e. the Arabica coffee is a mix of instant and microground coffee.

The “ESSENSO” coffee is sold as a 2-in-1 mix, or a 3-in-1 mix, this may not suit some.

The price was cheap at 85 Baht for 15 sticks, plus a free china cup in Tesco today, but I’ll finish all my Tesco ground coffee first before trialling this instant coffee mix.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:03 pm I’m sure you’re correct as the image I posted above shows the instant coffee is made with 100% Arabica beans which are generally regarded as superior to Robusta beans, but the same goes for freshly brewed coffee - Arabica beans will produce a better tasting coffee to those made from Robusta beans ( to most people’s taste).
Based on discussing coffee while traveling, I think which tastes better depends on which bean you had while first forming opinions about coffee. Those from Robusta countries, especially low quality Robusta, describe Arabica with words like weak, bland, watered down, and the like. My favorite is 'hot bean water'. Those from Arabica countries describe Robusta, especially low quality Robusta, with words like harsh, too strong (taste, not caffeine), bitter, and 'more sugar!'.

Traveling in Portugal I found most tourists liked the coffee, though often describing it as 'different'. The coffee blend is mostly Arabica beans from Brazil, with both types of beans from their former African colonies. It's wonderful stuff.