Hua Hin farang food prices

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Ham & Bacon : The Palm Bistro
User avatar
migrant
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 4271
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:15 am
Location: California is now in the past hello Thailand!!

Re: Hua Hin Farang- food prices

Post by migrant » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:14 pm

europtimiste wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:34 pm
dundrillin wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:25 pm
europtimiste wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:33 pm
Farang restaurant owners want to make quick money. They overcharge because they know that many farangs want to have their food as they don't dare to try Thai food.
What restaurants overcharge give an example please.
No need to name restaurants, but try same food as a steak, a fish, a tom yam or even a pizza in a Thai owned restaurant and in a farang owned one. You will see the difference.
Generally you will also notice the difference in quality
The essence of life lies with the dispensing with of formalities

europtimiste
Guru
Guru
Posts: 865
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: Hua Hin Farang- food prices

Post by europtimiste » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:44 pm

migrant wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:14 pm
europtimiste wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:34 pm
dundrillin wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:25 pm


What restaurants overcharge give an example please.
No need to name restaurants, but try same food as a steak, a fish, a tom yam or even a pizza in a Thai owned restaurant and in a farang owned one. You will see the difference.
Generally you will also notice the difference in quality
Yes in a real Thai owned restaurant a fish, a khao pad or a tom yum will be much better and testier.....and cheaper.

Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3535
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:55 pm
Location: Bo Fai

Re: Hua Hin Farang- food prices

Post by Takiap » Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:25 am

europtimiste wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:34 pm
dundrillin wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:25 pm
europtimiste wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:33 pm
Farang restaurant owners want to make quick money. They overcharge because they know that many farangs want to have their food as they don't dare to try Thai food.
What restaurants overcharge give an example please.
No need to name restaurants, but try same food as a steak, a fish, a tom yam or even a pizza in a Thai owned restaurant and in a farang owned one. You will see the difference.

Yes, but at a Farang restaurant a steak is a steak, not a pork cutlet or a piece of gumboot, and a pizza is generally a pizza, not a round piece of bread smothered with sweet mayo which cost about 60 baht per bucket.

A bit off topic, but a week or two ago one of my daughters bought a cup French fries from one of the vendors (Thai) that prey on school children here. I asked her how much does a cup of cold and leathery French fries cost. 10 baht . Yes, that's correct, 10 baht for 13 cold French fries served in a small plastic cup with no seating available, no air-con, no nothing. Of course, my daughter could have chosen to have a plate (ceramic) of French fries (about 100) at a rip off Farang restaurant, but with air-con and etc. she would probably have had to pay about 50 baht.



:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact

Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3535
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:55 pm
Location: Bo Fai

Re: Hua Hin farang food prices

Post by Takiap » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:11 am

For anyone who is interested, Makro once again have frozen cod fillets in stock. 145 Baht per bag which is +/- 1kg.
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact

HHTel
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3856
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:44 pm

Re: Hua Hin farang food prices

Post by HHTel » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:24 am

I've had them and I don't believe they're cod. Everything's wrong about them being cod.

Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3535
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:55 pm
Location: Bo Fai

Re: Hua Hin farang food prices

Post by Takiap » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:09 pm

It would be interesting to know what makes you think they are not cod? This latest batch appears to be from a different supplier so I will have to wait and see what the fillets are like, but the ones which I bought originally were fine, bearing in mind that they were raw frozen fillets which of course are never the same as fresh fillets.

When I thawed out the first batch and cooked them I was not very impressed, but then I visited good old Google and as a result, the next batch was as good as I have ever had in Thailand. I used batter rather than breading, but will try breading with the next batch.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact

Thistle
Professional
Professional
Posts: 273
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:15 pm
Location: Hua Hin

Re: Hua Hin farang food prices

Post by Thistle » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:50 pm

Agree with HHtel on this one.
I also bought a packet of the last batch after hearing the unbelievable price for frozen cod,[there is another forum link regarding this].
I found the packet states ,Origin China,,,,,,,,now unless their fishing fleet,along with the rest of the worlds are fishing way beyond their boundaries i can not see how they are catching COD ,and selling it at this ridiculous cheap price.
On further investigation,there are several articles last year in English printed Chinese newspapers stating that the word "COD " for fish can be used to describe many different species,pollock,sable to mention a couple,,,,,,,,,,,,.
I have bought cod from Ham & Bacon and also Villa Market,the look,texture and taste are nothing like what you get from Makro.
If it tastes good,battered,or breaded,then for the price its okay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but i do not believe its actual "COD",the fish you would get in Europe/North America.

europtimiste
Guru
Guru
Posts: 865
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: Hua Hin Farang- food prices

Post by europtimiste » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:40 pm

Takiap wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:25 am
europtimiste wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:34 pm
dundrillin wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:25 pm


What restaurants overcharge give an example please.
No need to name restaurants, but try same food as a steak, a fish, a tom yam or even a pizza in a Thai owned restaurant and in a farang owned one. You will see the difference.

Yes, but at a Farang restaurant a steak is a steak, not a pork cutlet or a piece of gumboot, and a pizza is generally a pizza, not a round piece of bread smothered with sweet mayo which cost about 60 baht per bucket.

A bit off topic, but a week or two ago one of my daughters bought a cup French fries from one of the vendors (Thai) that prey on school children here. I asked her how much does a cup of cold and leathery French fries cost. 10 baht . Yes, that's correct, 10 baht for 13 cold French fries served in a small plastic cup with no seating available, no air-con, no nothing. Of course, my daughter could have chosen to have a plate (ceramic) of French fries (about 100) at a rip off Farang restaurant, but with air-con and etc. she would probably have had to pay about 50 baht.



:cheers:
WOW, interesting to read all those comments of fish and chips eaters (specially cod). They are all gastronomy critics,
Not knowing the difference between a steak and pork cutlet or comparing a pizza with a bread with sweet mayo shows the knowledge of this folk. Probably you are a customer of Pizza Hut or Pizza Co. This is not a pizza, but appreciated by Thais, UK and US gourmets.

dundrillin
Guru
Guru
Posts: 683
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:06 am
Location: huahin

Re: Hua Hin farang food prices

Post by dundrillin » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:54 pm

Europtimiste,

Once when walking down Union Street in Aberdeen I spied a poster on a church notice board which stated " if you argue with a fool the fool is doing the same thing" Bearing that in mind I wish you a Happy New Year and hope that it brings you enlightenment.

europtimiste
Guru
Guru
Posts: 865
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: Hua Hin farang food prices

Post by europtimiste » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:27 pm

dundrillin wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:54 pm
Europtimiste,

Once when walking down Union Street in Aberdeen I spied a poster on a church notice board which stated " if you argue with a fool the fool is doing the same thing" Bearing that in mind I wish you a Happy New Year and hope that it brings you enlightenment.
I wish you too a Happy New Year and hope makes you more open minded and all those pretended chefs less stubborn.

Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3535
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:55 pm
Location: Bo Fai

Re: Hua Hin farang food prices

Post by Takiap » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:44 am

Europtimiste, my comments about steak, pork cutlets, pizza and bread with sweet mayo were simply me being sarcastic. However, since you appear to miss such thing, let me be more clear......


Go to a Farang restaurant and pay decent money for a decent steak; go to a cheap Thai restaurant and pay 79 baht, but don't complain if you get a pork cutlet.

If you want a pizza, then the same principle applies. Places like Pizza Company and so on do not sell pizzas. They sell thing which sometimes resemble a pizza, and occasionally it can even be eaten if you are hungry enough or drunk enough. At the pizzas from these establishments don't usually come with sweet mayo.


You mentioned that these pizzas are appreciated by the locals, but that has absolutely nothing to do with this thread because this is about the price of Farang foods (including fish), not about Thai taste buds.

By the way, you will be pleased to know that Makro also stock frozen frog meat, but since fresh is always better than frozen, I would recommend buying your frogs from the wet market in town.


Now, I hope and trust that you will have a wonderful New Year :thumb: :thumb: :cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact

Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3535
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:55 pm
Location: Bo Fai

Re: Hua Hin farang food prices

Post by Takiap » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:39 am

Thistle wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:50 pm
Agree with HHtel on this one.
I also bought a packet of the last batch after hearing the unbelievable price for frozen cod,[there is another forum link regarding this].
I found the packet states ,Origin China,,,,,,,,now unless their fishing fleet,along with the rest of the worlds are fishing way beyond their boundaries i can not see how they are catching COD ,and selling it at this ridiculous cheap price.
On further investigation,there are several articles last year in English printed Chinese newspapers stating that the word "COD " for fish can be used to describe many different species,pollock,sable to mention a couple,,,,,,,,,,,,.
I have bought cod from Ham & Bacon and also Villa Market,the look,texture and taste are nothing like what you get from Makro.
If it tastes good,battered,or breaded,then for the price its okay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but i do not believe its actual "COD",the fish you would get in Europe/North America.

Well, as you say, if it tastes good, then for the price, it is okay, so I will probably continue buying it in the hope that is wild caught fish rather than farmed fresh water fish.


Admittedly, when it comes to telling the difference between one type of fish and another, I am no expert, but it is comforting to know that even top class chefs are often in the same boat as me. It would seem that seafood fraud is very common indeed. In fact, the next time you order a red snapper at a restaurant, there is a strong possibility that you will be served tilapia instead. You can read more here.........

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/20 ... -be-fooled


:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact

europtimiste
Guru
Guru
Posts: 865
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: Hua Hin farang food prices

Post by europtimiste » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:11 am

Takiap wrote:
Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:44 am
Europtimiste, my comments about steak, pork cutlets, pizza and bread with sweet mayo were simply me being sarcastic. However, since you appear to miss such thing, let me be more clear......


Go to a Farang restaurant and pay decent money for a decent steak; go to a cheap Thai restaurant and pay 79 baht, but don't complain if you get a pork cutlet.

If you want a pizza, then the same principle applies. Places like Pizza Company and so on do not sell pizzas. They sell thing which sometimes resemble a pizza, and occasionally it can even be eaten if you are hungry enough or drunk enough. At the pizzas from these establishments don't usually come with sweet mayo.


You mentioned that these pizzas are appreciated by the locals, but that has absolutely nothing to do with this thread because this is about the price of Farang foods (including fish), not about Thai taste buds.

By the way, you will be pleased to know that Makro also stock frozen frog meat, but since fresh is always better than frozen, I would recommend buying your frogs from the wet market in town.


Now, I hope and trust that you will have a wonderful New Year :thumb: :thumb: :cheers:
I always buy my frogs from market, never frozen.
About a steak at 79 baht cannot be beef, but in a Thai restaurant a beef steak with pepper sauce and salad and french fries will be 179 baht.
A Pizza in a Thai owned restaurant will start at 220 baht ( and it's a real Italian Pizza) and in other places at 300 baht.
For any other Thai dishes same.

europtimiste
Guru
Guru
Posts: 865
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: Hua Hin farang food prices

Post by europtimiste » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:43 pm

Since I live in Thailand except a pizzeria owned by a farang (long time ago), I never ate in a farang owned restaurant.
You can praise quality in a farang restaurant, up to you, but how many of those people are cooks ? Any assh. coming here pretend to be a CHEF...ha..ha..ha, open a restaurant to make quick money. Luckily they disappear as quickly as they came.

HHTel
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3856
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:44 pm

Re: Hua Hin farang food prices

Post by HHTel » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:53 pm

I know a few restaurants with a farang chef. And I mean qualified having gone to catering college etc. I agree that opening a restaurant on a wim and knowing nothing about the trade is doomed to failure.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests