British home comfort food?

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: British home comfort food?

Post by HHTel »

Today, the main ingredients of Marmite are glutamic acid-rich yeast extract, with lesser quantities of sodium chloride, vegetable extract, spice extracts and celery extracts, although the precise composition is a trade secret.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:45 am
Today, the main ingredients of Marmite are glutamic acid-rich yeast extract, with lesser quantities of sodium chloride, vegetable extract, spice extracts and celery extracts, although the precise composition is a trade secret.
Although your quote is correct, it is only a brief extract of the full composition of what Marmite contains and how it is made - the fact is that it contains a variety of beer yeast extracts - more in the attached. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It was really in response to Takieb's question regarding anchovy paste.

However, the quote I used is exactly the same quote as at your link in Wiki. The only extra info Wiki gives is that the yeast used is a byproduct of brewing.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

That means that Marmite is a good beer substitute. How much Marmite would it take to get a good buzz?
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

handdrummer wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:24 pm That means that Marmite is a good beer substitute. How much Marmite would it take to get a good buzz?
350 jars!

Enjoy! :D
Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

caller wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:01 pm
handdrummer wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:24 pm That means that Marmite is a good beer substitute. How much Marmite would it take to get a good buzz?
350 jars!

Enjoy! :D
Cheaper and tastier to buy beer. :bow:
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

HHTel wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:54 pm It was really in response to Takieb's question regarding anchovy paste.

However, the quote I used is exactly the same quote as at your link in Wiki. The only extra info Wiki gives is that the yeast used is a byproduct of brewing.
I think you will find that Marmite and anchovy paste have nothing in common apart from a great taste. :D
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Is the Achovy paste sold under the brand name--Gentleman's Relish?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Takiap wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:40 am
HHTel wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:54 pm It was really in response to Takieb's question regarding anchovy paste.

I think you will find that Marmite and anchovy paste have nothing in common apart from a great taste. :D
That was my intention. They are nothing like each other.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

oakdale160 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:56 am Is the Achovy paste sold under the brand name--Gentleman's Relish?
This was covered on page 2 - the answer is yes
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:07 am
oakdale160 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:56 am Is the Achovy paste sold under the brand name--Gentleman's Relish?
This was covered on page 2 - the answer is yes
I think the question was supposed to be humorous. 'Gentlemen's Relish' is a name that has recently been coined for a certain fluid issued from the male anatomy. I think Jeremy Clarkson on TV may have something to do with that usage becoming widespread.
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

For any lovers of heinz baked beans they are currently on offer at villa market next to san paulo at 75 baht a can..
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Thistle wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:18 am For any lovers of heinz baked beans they are currently on offer at villa market next to san paulo at 75 baht a can..
I guess this is a reasonable discount on their normal price, but still almost 4 times the cost in the UK - But the “cheap” brands at about 40 Baht don’t compare.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I think they're only 80 baht at Nany's 'normal price'. However, having been a lifetime disciple for Heinz Beanz, a while ago I tried Branston's Beans from Nany's. For the first time, I've found some beans better than Heinz, (in my opinion).
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Post by nanyang »

Agree entirely - please direct me to Nanys.