Good, reasonably priced wine

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Good, reasonably priced wine

Post by Vital Spark »

Yes, I know, wine's a bit like art (or comedy) - what hits someone's spot doesn't necessarily suit another person. However, I will recommend a bottle of red that we picked up from Makro the other day. It's called Five Friends, and it's an Australian Shiraz (14%). It cost 250 baht, which is extremely reasonable considering the recent price increases of other wines, and is infinitely better than some more expensive ones that we've bought.

I think it tastes better at fridge temperature rather than Thai room temperature.

VS :cheers:
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
brianks
Guru
Guru

Re: Good, reasonably priced wine

Post by brianks »

Too bad we can get Two buck Chuck wine over here. That is wine from Trader Joe's that is good and very cheap. Now it is $2.50 (80 baht) a bottle in California and $3+ in T.J. stores outside California.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

The boxed wine is good value, each box holds 4L or 5+ bottles and sell for 700b or a little more. I buy it from Tesco added bonus the head lady of the wime dept is a really attractive woman.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Really? The 3ltr boxes that were selling for 999 Baht a couple of weeks ago, is now selling at over 1100 Baht. Methinks time to take those wine goggles off, and maybe the head lady might look a little different also :wink:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Vital Spark wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:33 pm Yes, I know, wine's a bit like art (or comedy) - what hits someone's spot doesn't necessarily suit another person. However, I will recommend a bottle of red that we picked up from Makro the other day. It's called Five Friends, and it's an Australian Shiraz (14%). It cost 250 baht, which is extremely reasonable considering the recent price increases of other wines, and is infinitely better than some more expensive ones that we've bought.

I think it tastes better at fridge temperature rather than Thai room temperature.

VS :cheers:
Wine imported from Australia receives preferential trade treatment based on the Free Trade Agreement(FTA) between Australia and Thailand which provides considerable advantage over other wine producing countries exporting into Thailand.
Quite a number of products other than wine are covered by this agreement. :cheers:

https://www.austrade.gov.au/Australian/ ... tries/Wine
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

I bought a bottle of 5 friends wine from the Macro today and have just tried it. Two sips were enough, the rest went down the sink. It is worse than Mon Clair and that is saying something! I still have a bad taste in my mouth!
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Bit of a waste. If I don't like the taste of a wine, I'll use it for cooking.

VS :wink:
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

I think it was Floyd that said: If a wine is not good enough to drink then it is not good enough to cook with!
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

That would be classic Floyd. Loved that man. Bit of a player and slightly louche, but always charming and funny on the box.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

You are correct BB, I have not bought the boxes of wine for some time as a mate of mine goes to Cambodia twice a month and brings really cheap wine back. The 4l at 799 is no more and when I asked about it, the usual blank looks. All boxes 1000+
buksida

Post by buksida »

The boxed wine in Thailand is overpriced fruit juice.

You can get reasonable bottled wines in Villa Market, 2 litre bottles from 500-800 baht. My favourite is the Italian Rosso at 599.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson