Big C, Pre Cooked Chickens

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Ham & Bacon : The Palm Bistro
HHTel
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3800
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:44 pm

Re: Big C, Pre Cooked Chickens

Post by HHTel » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:32 pm

Of course it is, along with all the other websites/authorities that say the same.
You're right and everyone else is wrong!

handdrummer
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1331
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:58 am

Re: Big C, Pre Cooked Chickens

Post by handdrummer » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:17 pm

HHTel wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:32 pm
Of course it is, along with all the other websites/authorities that say the same.
You're right and everyone else is wrong!
We must have sympathy for Europessimist, after all, can you just imagine how difficult life must be when you have to be right all the time?

HHTel
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3800
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:44 pm

Re: Big C, Pre Cooked Chickens

Post by HHTel » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:57 pm

:cheers:

europtimiste
Guru
Guru
Posts: 830
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: Big C, Pre Cooked Chickens

Post by europtimiste » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:05 pm

handdrummer wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:17 pm
HHTel wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:32 pm
Of course it is, along with all the other websites/authorities that say the same.
You're right and everyone else is wrong!
We must have sympathy for Europessimist, after all, can you just imagine how difficult life must be when you have to be right all the time?
Life is difficult if you don't have a frank reply from this bunch to some of my remarks.

NOKYAI
Guru
Guru
Posts: 914
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 1:38 am
Location: Hua hin
Contact:

Re: Big C, Pre Cooked Chickens

Post by NOKYAI » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:05 pm

And so difficult to stray more than 10 feet from a toilet!
Now semi retired 60:40 Thailand: UK ( seems to be working well)

Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3535
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:55 pm
Location: Bo Fai

Re: Big C, Pre Cooked Chickens

Post by Takiap » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:17 am

europtimiste wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:46 pm
Takiap wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:33 am


At the end of the day, food poisoning and/or runny stomachs are no less common today than they were 100 years ago. I have lived in three countries, and I have seen no difference in the number of times I have had the runs, whether in South Africa, Scotland, or Thailand. I have only had REAL food poisoning twice in my life, once in the UK and once after visiting a Japanese restaurant in Bangkok.


What do you consider a food poisoning ???? For me it means hospitalization and pump your stomach.
A stomach upset or an indigestion is something that can happens anytime and anywhere.
In Europa they have the obsession to keep nearly everything in fridge as ex. eggs. Here eggs are carried on pick ups and motobikes under hot sun and kept in room temperature. Did you or anybody else had a poisoning ?
An upset stomach is not food poisoning. However, not all cases of food poisoning require hospitalization, and you do not always have to have your stomach pumped. On both occasions when I have had food poisoning, I had a serious fever, continual throwing up, and etc. VERY VERY unpleasant.

I'm not quite sure why you have mentioned eggs in your reply to my post? I have myself said that eggs do not, and actually should not, be kept in a fridge. However, if eggs have been washed, either along the production line, or once they get to your home, then it is better to keep them in a fridge because the natural protective coating will have been removed. Eggs in Thailand are typically not cleaned and therefore do not need to be kept in a fridge.

If you have read and understood my posts in this thread, I'm sure you will realize that I am not one of those who are meticulous about food hygiene. If I was, I would never eat out regardless of whether at side of the road stalls or at fancy restaurants.

I have often eaten with a group of Thais where spoons are shared, and where everyone is digging their hands into a bamboo basket full of sticky rice. Did everyone wash their hands first? I seriously doubt it, but it certainly has never made me sick or given me an upset stomach. What doesn't kill, fattens. :laugh:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact

Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3535
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:55 pm
Location: Bo Fai

Re: Big C, Pre Cooked Chickens

Post by Takiap » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:46 am

europtimiste wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:28 pm
HHTel wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:05 pm
In Europa they have the obsession to keep nearly everything in fridge as ex. eggs.
I suggest you read this:
Why Europeans Don't Refrigerate Eggs But Americans Do
Source: http://uk.businessinsider.com/why-europ ... gs-2014-12
All this is bullshit.

Okay, allow me to assist you in really determining whether it is all bullshit or not. Just think about this...........we'll do a little experiment, and you will be able to see the results, and then nobody on the forum will be able to argue with you.

Just to be clear, the article in question has said that if eggs are washed, they should be refrigerated because washing makes them vulnerable to contamination.

You disagree and you say it is bullshit?

Right, so let's do an experiment. I will give you 2 chicken eggs and 2 duck eggs collected fresh from my yard here in Borfai. We will thoroughly wash and clean 1 chicken egg and 1 duck egg, and then we will leave all 4 eggs (the washed and unwashed) sitting on a shelf in the yard, preferably in an area where they can get a nice bit of afternoon sun. Let's leave them for 14 days, or maybe even 21 days if you like.

When the time is up, you and I both sit down and we enjoy our eggs. I have the 2 unwashed eggs, and you have the 2 that were washed. To make this more fun, I think we should both be blindfolded because I seriously double you will want to eat 2 green eggs.

Experiment number 2:

We always have at least one or two hens laying on some eggs. We wait for one of them to leave their nest and then we quickly wet all her eggs. Then we wait to see how many go on to hatch. I can guarantee you, you will be lucky if any of them hatch.

What I have written in this post is nothing to do with anything I have read. It is what I have seen time and time again in my own yard.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact

User avatar
laphanphon
Professional
Professional
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:15 am
Location: PKK

Re: Big C, Pre Cooked Chickens

Post by laphanphon » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:24 am

My eggs don't last a week (10 pack). 2-3 weeks, no thanks, prefer 'fresh'. If past a week, then they become hard boiled.

Along with me making eggnog, with fresh raw eggs quite often, along with ice-cream, but that don't count, since frozen. I like my scrambled eggs 'loose', so far from cooked entirely through. People eat soft boiled, over easy, so yolks far from 'cooked'.

Always read if bought refrigerated, keep so, if not, keep out. Haven't got a clue why people wash eggs, well I do, but seems overkill. Can't remember last time I even rinsed one off, though I don't have chickens.

Fresh eggs, no problem. To verify if good / bad, submerge in water, if float, cook thoroughly, or discard. Latter would be my choice.

Eggs are the least of my hygiene concerns about food.
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness ... Mark Twain

Thank God for Atheists

europtimiste
Guru
Guru
Posts: 830
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: Big C, Pre Cooked Chickens

Post by europtimiste » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:19 am

I mentioned eggs only as an example, because in Europe imported eggs, let's say from Romania, are transported by refrigerated trucks.In Thailand on pick ups and bikes under hot sun and nobody has been poisoned. By the way I never washed eggs bought at market or shops.
But I still don't have a reply from the person (StevePIraq) who initiated this topic on this forum ! !
Why didn't he reported the incident immediately to the manager of BigC ? ? ? NO PRESENCE OF MIND ? ?
I am still waiting for his reply.

User avatar
StevePIraq
Legend
Legend
Posts: 2675
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:21 pm
Location: Ting Tong Land

Re: Big C, Pre Cooked Chickens

Post by StevePIraq » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:40 pm

europtimiste wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:19 am
I mentioned eggs only as an example, because in Europe imported eggs, let's say from Romania, are transported by refrigerated trucks.In Thailand on pick ups and bikes under hot sun and nobody has been poisoned. By the way I never washed eggs bought at market or shops.
But I still don't have a reply from the person (StevePIraq) who initiated this topic on this forum ! !
Why didn't he reported the incident immediately to the manager of BigC ? ? ? NO PRESENCE OF MIND ? ?
I am still waiting for his reply.
Very simple,
1. I advised the issue to the person in charge of that section.

2. Most important. I do not have to respond to you.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali

europtimiste
Guru
Guru
Posts: 830
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: Big C, Pre Cooked Chickens

Post by europtimiste » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:24 pm

StevePIraq wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:40 pm
europtimiste wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:19 am
I mentioned eggs only as an example, because in Europe imported eggs, let's say from Romania, are transported by refrigerated trucks.In Thailand on pick ups and bikes under hot sun and nobody has been poisoned. By the way I never washed eggs bought at market or shops.
But I still don't have a reply from the person (StevePIraq) who initiated this topic on this forum ! !
Why didn't he reported the incident immediately to the manager of BigC ? ? ? NO PRESENCE OF MIND ? ?
I am still waiting for his reply.
Very simple,
1. I advised the issue to the person in charge of that section.

2. Most important. I do not have to respond to you.
1-The person in charge of the section is not the manager, and how did you know that this person is the responsible of that section ?
2-Now I know and we know the kind of person you are.

HHTel
Rock Star
Rock Star
Posts: 3800
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:44 pm

Re: Big C, Pre Cooked Chickens

Post by HHTel » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:23 pm

And everyone knows the kind of person you are!!!

handdrummer
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1331
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:58 am

Re: Big C, Pre Cooked Chickens

Post by handdrummer » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:40 pm

europtimiste wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:05 pm
handdrummer wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:17 pm
HHTel wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:32 pm
Of course it is, along with all the other websites/authorities that say the same.
You're right and everyone else is wrong!
We must have sympathy for Europessimist, after all, can you just imagine how difficult life must be when you have to be right all the time?
Life is difficult if you don't have a frank reply from this bunch to some of my remarks.
If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

User avatar
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace
Posts: 1360
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:14 am

Re: Big C, Pre Cooked Chickens

Post by 404cameljockey » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:30 am

London Boy wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:19 am
I may be wrong but i think that a few people think you are a troll Mr 404
I'l give you that shot free

User avatar
laphanphon
Professional
Professional
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:15 am
Location: PKK

Re: Big C, Pre Cooked Chickens

Post by laphanphon » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:19 pm

Free shots .... where, when .... I'm there. Crown please ... :cheers:
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness ... Mark Twain

Thank God for Atheists

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests