Hua Hin Food Trivia

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Hua Hin Food Trivia

Post by HarryVardon »

I have been living in Hua Hin for quite a few years now and have tried many restaurants and many types of food here. Of course Thai Food is freely available and can be extremely delicious but as a European I also love some European Foods. Any food, whatever the nationality, is only as good as the cook that prepares it and the quality of the ingredients used. I have made a list here of some of my favourite foods (I have probably forgotten many). Some of these I can get in Hua Hin although the quality or taste is not always what I expect. Other items on the list I have never seen in Hua Hin (these I have marked with a *). Any suggestions or information concerning which restaurants offer the best versions of the items currently available or any restaurants offering items that I have never found in Hua Hin would be greatly appreciated.
Bouillabaisse (*)
Brown Bean or Lentil Soup (*)
Chilli Con Carne
Corned Beef Hash (*)
Fried Liver with Mashed Potatoes and Onions
Goulasch
Lancashire Hotpot (*)
Loempia (*)
Meat Balls
Moules Mariniere
Mousaka
Mullagatawny Soup (*)
Old English Faggots (*)
Oxtail Soup (*)
Paella
Pea Soup (Ertwen/Erbsen) (*)
Rabbit Pie or Stew (*)
Rhubarb Crumble
Roast Lamb with all the trimmings
Rosti
Sauerkraut
Steamed White Fish with Parsley Sauce & New Potatoes (*)
Taco’s & Burrito’s
Trout fried in Garlic Butter (*)
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Re: Food Trivia

Post by MDMK »

well you can get loempia's all over the place. They're called spring rolls in English. No idea what the Thai word is but they are very widely available. Loempia is The Dutch and (flemish) Belgian word ...lumpia is I think Indonesian and possibly Filipino. But they're just spring rolls.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Old English Faggots is the only thing on the list making my mouth water - I'd love to hear where they are available.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I can't say it's the best, as it's the only place I have eaten it, but I really enjoyed Roast Lamb with mint sauce at Palm Bistro.
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Corned beef is readily available. Hash is not difficult. I make it myself.
Several of the others are relatively easy to make at home.

My chilli is second to none!!
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

A new place is open in Cha Am. Second road parallel to the beach, right turn off the main drag going to the beach. It's just before Arroi on the opposite side of the street. I forget the name, street something? but he is making tacos, burritos and some other Mexican food. It's not up to Southern California standards but not bad. Owner is a Thai who lived in US and retired from the military there, nice guy.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

Loempia's are nothing like spring rolls. They contain a completely different filling, are much bigger and need to be served with a good sambal.
As for Palm bistro there I had the worst roast lunch I have ever had in my life! The meat was fine but the rest!!! When it was served I mentioned to the waitress that there was supposed to be Yorkshire pudding. She pointed to something that looked like a shrivalled unknown vegetable and said "That's Yorkshire pudding". When I tasted it, it tasted like a shrivelled unknown vegetable. The roast potatoes were absolute rubbish. I never went back again and never will!
Of course I also cook some of the things but it is nice sometimes to be served good food without having to do all the preparation and cleaning up!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

HarryVardon wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:07 pmI never went back again and never will!
Ah well, each to their own. I liked it and have visited a few times and they seem to do very well. I recently took a new neighbour, a Brit, who otherwise lives in Dubai, who really wanted a Sunday roast and he thought it was great.

Maybe in a thread where you are asking for assistance, you coud skip the vitriol, if the assistance isn't to your liking.
Talk is cheap
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

caller wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:21 pm
Maybe in a thread where you are asking for assistance, you coud skip the vitriol, if the assistance isn't to your liking.
Quite Caller. I got the same rude reply. I know where he can get his erwten ( ham & pea) soup in Hua Hin. But I can't be arsed with his attitude.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Loempia is a spring roll with a variety of different fillings.

A spring roll is a loempia with a variety of different fillings.
The ingredients are variable, and are often so similar as to be indistinguishable.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

HHTel wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:38 pm Loempia is a spring roll with a variety of different fillings.

A spring roll is a loempia with a variety of different fillings.
The ingredients are variable, and are often so similar as to be indistinguishable.
you're absolutely right HHtel, they are for all intents and purposes the same thing, just regional variations of the same thing

In the UK they're chips
in France they're frites

Both still potatoes cut into strips and deep fried.

No doubt though Happy Harry will be along to snipe otherwise at us. :thumb:
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

Sorry if it seemed vitriolic that was certainly not my intention. I have tried Sunday Roasts at at least 10 different restaurants in Hua Hin. Some are very good, some are OK and some are not so good. I just had a very bad experience at Palm Bistro. As for the Loempia's of course there are country variations of the same kind of thing but maybe I miss Indonesian food in general in Hua Hin. We are so close to Indonesia and have restaurants from almost every country except Indonesia. It's strange. Hua Hin also has a lack (shortage) of Arabian and Balkan restaurants.
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:29 pm Old English Faggots is the only thing on the list making my mouth water - I'd love to hear where they are available.
They now sell faggots at Nany's restaurant, Soi 88, near food court. Very good too!
Big Boy

Re: Hua Hin Food Trivia

Post by Big Boy »

Interesting, thank you.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Hua Hin Food Trivia

Post by HHTel »

I'm in Nany's almost every week and never seen them. I'll have a look tomorrow.
Did manage to get Ambrosia rice pudding with sultanas and nutmeg. My daughter has looked all over in the UK and nobody seems to have seen them for a while.
I do like their Lorne (Scottish) sausage. Mix of beef, pork and chicken as I understand. They are the exact same size as ARO sliced bread!

N.B. They don't have them now as I bought what was left! Rice pudding that is.