The Beer Thread 2

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

The Beer Thread 2

Post by Dannie Boy »

Think yourself fortunate that you don’t have to drink Murree beer that is made in Pakistan and was at the time (mid 90’s) the only beer other than imported (which wasn’t always available)that you could buy (with a license). To say it had a chemical taste would be flattering!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: The Beer Thread 2

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:53 am I believe Carabao and CJ are linked.
I am sure you are right. CJ are a long established business, that goes slightly under the radar. They have several outlets in and around Hua Hin and a reasonably sized store in Thap Tai. I noticed when I first went there, some alternatives to the beers stocked elsewhere.
Talk is cheap
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

But still no-one can say what they mean by 'chemical' taste. The description makes me think of actual chemicals being used in the brewing which leave a clear and nasty residual taste, and that would be a definite turn-off, but I think that people saying it just mean metallic or acidic (probably the latter?). Beer from a can tastes slightly metallic to me, maybe just psychological, I don't know.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

caller wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:26 pm
Big Boy wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:53 am I believe Carabao and CJ are linked.
I am sure you are right. CJ are a long established business, that goes slightly under the radar. They have several outlets in and around Hua Hin and a reasonably sized store in Thap Tai. I noticed when I first went there, some alternatives to the beers stocked elsewhere.
Just annoying at Thap Thai you have to go to the supermarket next door to stock up on most brands of bottled water! I don't have the gall to ask the lad in CJ to transport several 6 packs to my car although I'm sure he will for a twenty. :D
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

404cameljockey wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:38 am But still no-one can say what they mean by 'chemical' taste. The description makes me think of actual chemicals being used in the brewing which leave a clear and nasty residual taste, and that would be a definite turn-off, but I think that people saying it just mean metallic or acidic (probably the latter?). Beer from a can tastes slightly metallic to me, maybe just psychological, I don't know.
I can only speak for myself, but if I’m in the UK and I go to a pub, I will always drink a draught pint of bitter such as Fullers London Pride, Green King Abbot, or whatever similar bitter is available. Drinking any of these it’s all about the malted barley and hop combination that produces a rounded pleasant taste. Here in Thailand it’s inevitably a bottle or can of Thai brewed lager and specifically something like Chang has what I would call a twang to the taste - not something I find particularly pleasant although if that was all that was available I’d drink it. Most (not necessarily all) similar lagers (Leo, Tiger, Singha etc) have a slightly less tangy taste but still not a rounded malted barley/hop combination.

I’ve not really tried the craft beers that are available so they may be “normal” in taste - I’m sure others will have different opinions but that’s understandable when it comes to food and drink.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

404cameljockey wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:38 am But still no-one can say what they mean by 'chemical' taste.
It is what I used to call a tinny taste with cheaper tinned beer in the UK. However, as most beer here comes out of bottles, it can't be 'tin'. Chemical? I've just followed what many others call it. Is it chemical? I don't know. What I know is that it is a taste I don't care for.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:42 am
404cameljockey wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:38 am But still no-one can say what they mean by 'chemical' taste.
It is what I used to call a tinny taste with cheaper tinned beer in the UK. However, as most beer here comes out of bottles, it can't be 'tin'. Chemical? I've just followed what many others call it. Is it chemical? I don't know. What I know is that it is a taste I don't care for.

Yes, taste is subjective and can be hard to describe, I get that. I just call it 'bite' and I enjoy it. But then again I like to sniff freshly painted creosote fences....

Although you've necked and enjoyed gallons of Singha, Leo and Chang in the past (often in a single session). :D

Not having a dig BB, but you say you enjoy then say you don't care for it. I guess the enjoyment doesn't come from the taste then! A wedge of lime can help. 555
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I can say it because it came after my stomach operation. Since 2012 I can not stomach more than a 1/4 pint of Thai beers with that chemical taste. Other beers are fine, although I've significantly restricted my consumption these days.

Points 48; Position 20
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:48 am
I can only speak for myself, but if I’m in the UK and I go to a pub, I will always drink a draught pint of bitter such as Fullers London Pride, Green King Abbot, or whatever similar bitter is available. Drinking any of these it’s all about the malted barley and hop combination that produces a rounded pleasant taste. Here in Thailand it’s inevitably a bottle or can of Thai brewed lager and specifically something like Chang has what I would call a twang to the taste - not something I find particularly pleasant although if that was all that was available I’d drink it. Most (not necessarily all) similar lagers (Leo, Tiger, Singha etc) have a slightly less tangy taste but still not a rounded malted barley/hop combination.

I’ve not really tried the craft beers that are available so they may be “normal” in taste - I’m sure others will have different opinions but that’s understandable when it comes to food and drink.

A 'twang', that's a good description. I wonder if the Carabao beers are different? I've yet to try them.

I'm with you all the way on British bitters being superior (different yeast/brewing method of course), Shepherd Neame is my all-time favourite although Belhaven used to tickle me a lot as did Everard.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:25 pm I can say it because it came after my stomach operation. Since 2012 I can not stomach more than a 1/4 pint of Thai beers with that chemical taste. Other beers are fine, although I've significantly restricted my consumption these days.
I understand, it's your stomach that doesn't care for it! :thumb:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

404cameljockey wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:29 pm A 'twang', that's a good description. I wonder if the Carabao beers are different? I've yet to try them.

I'm with you all the way on British bitters being superior (different yeast/brewing method of course), Shepherd Neame is my all-time favourite although Belhaven used to tickle me a lot as did Everard.
Unfortunately, i did detect the twang/tinny/chemical taste in the Carabao beers, but did only have tasters, so can't say if they would affect my stomach.

As for British bitters, I lived 8 years in the North East of England, and I believe we were blessed with the Rolls Royce of British bitters. You could not get them elsewhere in the UK. My favourites were Tetleys Imperial and John Smiths Magnet. They had to be special to compete with Federation Breweries. 8 years of heaven.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

404cameljockey wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:48 am

A 'twang', that's a good description. I wonder if the Carabao beers are different? I've yet to try them.

Coming from Kent, I’ve supped a few pints of Masterbrew over the years and another “local” favourite of mine was Youngs Special, although with all real ales, it has to be kept well for it to taste good - although it wouldn’t normally rank in my top 3 beers, I once had the privilege of a tour of the Bass Brewery which included a visit to their Taproom- only 30 minutes but long enough to down 3 pints of their nectar!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:46 pm
As for British bitters, I lived 8 years in the North East of England, and I believe we were blessed with the Rolls Royce of British bitters. You could not get them elsewhere in the UK. My favourites were Tetleys Imperial and John Smiths Magnet. They had to be special to compete with Federation Breweries. 8 years of heaven.
Well you would say that :mrgreen:

Long ago now I had favourites from all over, including Belhaven 80 Shilling, Felinfoel Double Dragon, Everards Tiger, and of course not a bitter but Theakstons Old Peculier (ouch). John Smiths bottled beers were high on the list (I loved the bottle shape too), but as a Kentish lad I loved the sheer hoppiness of Shep. I drank far more Youngs than any other beer due to my City of London watering hole, and am still a shareholder (their huge AGM was a total boozy bunfight for many years), but it was never the top of my list.

Great days, I don't miss much about the UK, but pine for early doors on a Sunday, sun streaming through the windows, sitting with the Torygraph crossword, waiting for my pals....
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:49 pm
Coming from Kent, I’ve supped a few pints of Masterbrew over the years and another “local” favourite of mine was Youngs Special, although with all real ales, it has to be kept well for it to taste good - although it wouldn’t normally rank in my top 3 beers, I once had the privilege of a tour of the Bass Brewery which included a visit to their Taproom- only 30 minutes but long enough to down 3 pints of their nectar!!
Bass was a taste I could never acquire. As Youngs regulars we always drank 'mixed' - half Ordinary/half Special. The Winter Warmer was a favourite too, seasonally. As you say, the cellar is the key, but a good publican could serve Winter Warmer gravity fed from a barrel on the bar perfectly, if demand is good!

For the Queen's Silver Jubilee 1977 I'd take onboard several pints of half a Winter Warmer with a bottle of the very punchy Silver Sovereign jubilee beer. Kept you warm...
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

404cameljockey wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:58 pm Bass was a taste I could never acquire.
:agree: I always thought if I had to drink diarrhoea, it would taste the same.

Points 48; Position 20