Has Your Food Shopping Increased?

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
buksida

Re: Has Your Food Shopping Increased?

Post by buksida »

The thread asked whether food shopping costs had increased, and my answer is a resounding yes, sparking the comparison with other countries (would be interesting to see how grocery prices in the US or Oz compare.) We don't eat out that often because we don't like all the sugar that goes into local restaurant/takeaway food, which is also often cooked with msg and nasty palm oil (but that's all food for another thread.)
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:35 am Our Makro shop is always over 5,000 baht and we get very little here for that. In Aldi or Lidl in the UK, you'd get two trolley's worth of food for a hundred plus quid.
I've been reading this thread, and the thing that really surprises me is that you can actually spend 5,000฿ on just food in a single domestic shop regularly here in Thailand. I'd be very hard pushed to find 5,000฿ worth of food that I'd buy in a single shop. Yes, we have 'exceptional' shops when we might buy a huge joint of beef for example, but that is far from an every shop occurrence.

I'm not doubting your findings, but could you give a few examples of the expensive stuff to put this thread into perspective? Please take my question as curiosity, rather doubt.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Its just general food and household supplies, possibly a bit of cheese and some meat, definitely fish, lots of pak, dairy, coffee/tea, and usually pet food. If you want to add a bottle of wine or two, that bill will surge. Our monthly grocery/household expenditure here (for a family, not an individual) is higher than the national average wage ... I never get out of Makro spending less than a hundred quid so it does irk when people keep harping on about how cheap Thailand is.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

What ever it costs, all youse heathens should be eating fish today; it being Good Friday! :thumb:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you.

Cheese is something we gave up on a long time ago as too expensive. We had a period of buying it for our dogs, but even that stopped just over a year ago. Definitely a luxury item in the BB household these days.

We buy very little fish, and when we do, that would usually be market bought, so that wouldn't affect a supermarket shop.

Coffee - definitely not cheap, and a major contributor, as is pet food/treats.

Most definitely, we spend way over the national Thai average - I'd estimate about 7K to 8K per week, although we do eat out a fair bit. Mrs BB has been complaining that she needs more, and I've agreed to give her 1K/week more following my annual pension rise next month.

I think my biggest problem when considering price rises here is if e.g. we think of the recent 8฿ rise on a bottle of milk, my brain thinks 8 pence, not 17 pence as it really is. To an old fogey like me, that is a 3 shillings and 5d price rise on a bottle of milk - outrageous.

The answer to the OP has to be yes - inflation is worldwide. As for an answer to the subsequent question UK vs Thailand - I've been away too long to even consider that one, but as UK inflation has risen a fair bit again over the last year, I'd guess % wise, UK prices have risen more, but I don't remember a comparable base point.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nereus wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:47 pm What ever it costs, all youse heathens should be eating fish today; it being Good Friday! :thumb:
I had my Hot X Buns this morning :run:

At 180฿ for 4, I guess much more expensive than the UK.

Points 48; Position 20
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:16 pm
Nereus wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:47 pm What ever it costs, all youse heathens should be eating fish today; it being Good Friday! :thumb:
I had my Hot X Buns this morning :run:

At 180฿ for 4, I guess much more expensive than the UK.
Just bought some yesterday here in UK they were 69 pence for a pack of 6 which would be about 31 baht
🐰🐰🐰 Happy Easter 🐣
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:14 pm but as UK inflation has risen a fair bit again over the last year, I'd guess % wise, UK prices have risen more
Its actually reduced. I understand with a noticeable effect on supermarket food prices.

The nonsense here, of course, is that they are basically saying there is zero inflation. God knows where there checking.

Buksi, don't ask about Oz prices, you might be in for a shock! The days when Oz, apart from flights and hotels, was a value destination, have long gone!
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I can't believe that. Why are ex-Civil Servants getting a 6.7% pension increase if prices have fallen?

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

There’s a time lag - you won’t be getting 6-7% next year!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, but the question, 'Has your' infers what has happened, not what will be happening. In the last 12 months, inflation must have averaged a similar number over the period. If inflation falls over the next 12 months, they could take money off us - it has happened before. Sh*t happens.

Any reduction now, must be based on a number that has happened over the last 12 months, probably when inflation was running well over 6.7%.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I really don’t know but I suspect that people are saying that (some) food prices have recently reduced which is/will be contributing to a reduction in inflation. Over the past year, many food prices had increased significantly - in many instances by greater than inflation.

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It's really not worth arguing about - they only give us pension rises based on facts, in the same way as they take it away. From a few days into April, my pension is increasing, and it isn't increasing because of zero inflation.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’m not sure who mentioned zero inflation - certainly not me!!

Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

caller wrote:Buksi, don't ask about Oz prices, you might be in for a shock! The days when Oz, apart from flights and hotels, was a value destination, have long gone!
$4 for 6 pk = 95 Baht

A cooked chicken each, not by weight: $12 = 275 Baht
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!