YOBT - Big Boy review

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Big Boy

YOBT - Big Boy review

Post by Big Boy »

Several months ago on a thread about Buffalo Bills I stated that I had experienced such bad service about 7 years ago, that I had vowed never to return again. After a bit of banter with Bill, I agreed to give it another go. I suggested that I turn up unannounced, and would post my experience. However, he was uneasy with that suggestion, and I agreed to make myself known to him. As things have turned out, Bill is away, so he has had no input to this report :? .

Last night was the big night. My wife, granddaughter and I decided it was time to put Bill to the test. As a huge fan of Bill, I also asked Richard :D to join us.

Before I went, I re-read Bill’s web page about 6 times.

We arrived early. My first impression from the outside was that I thought this was an air conditioned bar. The windows were open, and I could see a lot of fans working overtime :cry: .

We entered the place, and to my delight there were substantial furnishings – more than adequate to support my substantial frame :D . We said that we would be joined by Richard later, and were lead to the big table in the corner. Even with the fans working overtime, the heat was considerable 8) . We said that we wouldn’t order food until Richard arrived, but we ordered drinks. Mine was a cool Singha (no condom or ice) – obviously it didn’t stay cool very long :cry: .

When Richard arrived he managed to pick me out (obviously my new disguise is not working as this was the first time we had met). Almost immediately after his arrival, the windows were closed and the air conditioning went on – it was going to pay being in the company of a VIP. Once the formalities were out of the way, it was straight down to business – food.

My wife and granddaughter decided to order Thai food. It should be known that my wife was originally refusing (before Richard arrived) to pay Bill’s prices for Thai food :shock: . I explained the obvious overheads etc, and she agreed to eat with us. I’m pleased to say that she and my granddaughter didn’t hold back, and ordered enough food to satisfy both of them. They both said that the food was good - didn’t leave a thing :D .

Me? I couldn’t decide what to order. Richard suggested the Ribs n’ Chicken combo with crinkle cut chips was suited to somebody with a larger appetite (it should be known that I am a very lazy eater, and will not normally select anything with bones). I went with Richard’s suggestion.

When my meal arrived, the presentation was poor. A rack of ribs dumped on top of half a chicken with a few (non-crinkle cut) chips – at least they were real chips. There had been no attempt to make it look nice, and this must be the first meal I’ve ever had in Thailand where they haven’t put a lettuce leaf, 2 slices of tomato and 4 slices of cucumber on the plate for decoration – just as well, I don’t like it anyway.

The meat was nicely cooked and tasted lovely :P . I could have used a lot more chips, or a selection of vegetables. I noticed that Richard had a jacket potato with his food. It would have been nice to have had the same choice – the menu did not make the offer.

My granddaughter and I decided to have a sweet. Having read Bill’s web page, selection was a no brainer – Brownies – to die for. All that I can say is that life must be cheap in Thailand. Nice – yes; to die for – hardly. At the end of the day, it was just chocolate cake and ice cream :? .

Overall, the food experience was good. On a rating of 1 to 10, with 10 being excellent, I would score YOBT as a 7.

The prices were a little high, but I know that I could have eaten on the Temple Wall at a fraction of the price, sweating and worried that the plastic chair wouldn’t last the length of my meal. The service charge was also a bit of surprise (although I had read about it on other threads before). 10% seemed a bit excessive. I know that when I explained the service charge theory to my wife, she was a bit put out – she wouldn’t have ever given a tip of 186 Baht to anybody, regardless of how good the service was :? .

The staff were very attentive, but that was probably to eliminate the boredom factor. We did do a count at one stage – there were 8 staff and 7 customers.

Finally, I have to make a comment on Bill’s toilets (after his recent thread). Yes, they were clean and smelt very nice. Not so sure about the door – seemed more like a prison door once you were locked in. I found it a bit of a distraction having to look Tommy Cooper in the eye whilst peeing. Having thought about the urinal, I have been wondering whether it was a joke, and maybe I shouldn’t have been using it at all – hence the picture of Tommy Cooper. I am 6’ 5” and could just reach it. I would love to have seen a Thai man trying to use it. Unless he had a fire hose inside his trousers, he’d stand no chance :mrgreen: .

Overall, not a bad experience this time. Would I return? On my own, probably the answer would be yes. However, I’m probably always out with my wife, and I don’t think she’d want to pay the price – especially the service charge.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Is it okay to add my experience here?

I think the place looks terrific inside - really very nicely done out.

I recollect having a pint of Chang for 100 baht - is that right? The wife had a cocktail she really enjoyed. That seemed good!

But the heat! As BB says, the windows were open and some fans were idling around, but didn't have much effect.

And as my wife and I don't smoke, and in view of the new rules, it came as a surprise that people were - the guy sitting behind us, the couple by the bar and at the tables around the side.

I saw a farang lady deliver food from the kitchen to a table she was sitting at near the 'sea front' entrance, so I guess that was the owners wife?

Anyway, we had the drink and left simply because we wouldn't enjoy eating in a smoky atmosphere (not an anti-smoke rant, I grew up in smoky UK pubs)

I guess that's a no-win situation for the owner?

Will return on next visit - if it hasn't already had another makeover! :)
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Regarding smoking last night, it was not permitted in the restaurant area, but was permitted in the bar area.

I too prefer a smoke free atmosphere, but both Richard and my wife smoke, so at least they could still their fix and stay within the building. We moved to to the bar area after food.

Points 48; Position 20
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Me and friends who eat there now and then all rate the food, service and the new decor's great.
Our ONLY gripe is about the air-con not being on too. Obviously we've got no right to expect it, but we would eat there more often if it was on. We may choose one of the similar places for the air-con even though we like YOBT food better.
Might be something worth Bill considering, only needs to be lunchand dinner hours, if you go there at odd hours you can't really expect it.
But then I understand that having it on in a big open plan bar/restaurant is expensive and a waste if you're not busy at the time.

Can't win can they. How many computer screens have you gone through Bill ?

SJ
Last edited by Super Joe on Fri May 23, 2008 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Maybe you should invite Richard along. :D

Their reaction to his arrival was special.

Points 48; Position 20
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Thanks BB but I'm not a VIP or special. I'm a mere HHAD 'ace' talking to an HHAD 'legend'

Bar or restaurant they just know if I don't like or if something is missing I'll ask for it politely

Bill is a friend now but I did give him sh1t to start with and that has formed a bond. He listens and corrects. Ask HHS

The forum is a powerful tool and can make or break a place

BB----i really enjoyed the evening and look forward to our next meet up

Guys and Gals if you have not met him and his charming wife you have to.

Made my day. Always nice to put a face and Figure to a poster :)
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

richard wrote:Always nice to put a face and Figure to a poster :)
BigBoy says hes got one hell of a figure. :mrgreen:
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Interesting report Big Boy.

Quite frankly I tend to be rather black and white on eateries and prices. If they're going to charge 10% service and perhaps higher than normal prices then I would expect air conditioning and top-class service/food.

If the prices are lower then my expectations are lowered accordingly.

I really don't like eating in places with service charges. Tips should be at the discretion of the customer.

To quote you Richard, you had to give him sh1t before you could form a bond. I find that quite sad. :(

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

YOBT Big Boy Review

Post by margaretcarnes »

If you can smoke and theres no aircon blasting out it sounds fine by me! (OK - maybe a minority view.)
Have to agree wih Vital Spark though on the issue of Service Charges. Its not a practice I like anywhere. And as for the 'trimmings' - what happened to the obligatory corn cob served with meals? Used to enjoy that.
Overall, on the earlier thread the concensus was that its always worth the extra now and then to satisfy the farang food cravings. I will still pay a visit and take pot luck :cheers:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

This thread shows how it's near impossible for places to be right for everyone.
Some of us want a/c, some don't
Some want smoking, some don't
Some want dressing on plate, some of don't gets in the way and I usually leave it. You shouldn't eat green food anyway, it's got bits of iron in it apparently!?!?
Come on Bill sort it oooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuut

Serious suggestions though:
Air-con during main lunch and dinner times - That'd suit us, we all know when to go then
Corn-on-cob as side - That'd suit us lovely
Smoking/service charge/music/what's on tv - up to the owner for me

Cheers,
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

richard wrote:
Thanks BB but I'm not a VIP or special. I'm a mere HHAD 'ace' talking to an HHAD 'legend'
Don't underestimate yourself - Bill wasn't there to influence things. However, just your presence got things done. Even down to when the waitress didn't know what special sauce you wanted, and you politely told them not to bother - they still pulled out all of the stops, and the sauce was there when your meal arrived :D

:oops: Thanks for the kind words :oops:

BaaBaa wrote:
BigBoy says hes got one hell of a figure. :mrgreen:
:lach: Oh so true

Vital Spark wrote:
Quite frankly I tend to be rather black and white on eateries and prices. If they're going to charge 10% service and perhaps higher than normal prices then I would expect air conditioning and top-class service/food.
I agree on the service charge bit - that is probably the one thing which will negate a return visit. When in Thailand my wife looks after the cash - yes she was a working girl, and knows how much the staff rely on their tips. However, on the night in question she would have probably given up to 50 Baht as a tip. She was disgusted at 186 Baht. This is a discretionary thing, and she likes to be in control.

Further to the service charge, it was not just for food. I believe it would apply if you simply went in for a drink. While we have been here this time my wife does not like paying more than 70 Baht for a bottle of Singha - she has made a point of not returning to those bars which charge 80 Baht plus. In this case, Bill is charging 77 Baht for a 70 Baht product.

I can assure you, it is not the money with my wife, it is the principle. In the same way that she would walk on if a market trader is trying to charge too much because he/she has seen a Farang, she will not walk in to bar that she believes is charging too much.

Regarding the air conditioning bit, that was me having a bit of fun with Richard. Richard is quite right when he says that you only have to ask.

margaretcarnes wrote:
I will still pay a visit and take pot luck :cheers:
The experience was a good one, and well worth a visit. All that I have tried to do do is give a balanced review, combined with why I will probably not return in the future (we often hear about Thais not worrying about return business - maybe Bill will be the same, or maybe he will react to the comments favourably).

It is a shame that Bill is away at the moment, I would have gladly sat down and discussed this with him. I am definitely not trying to get a free meal out of him, in fact, the food was good.

I hope my comments are received in the constructive manner they were posted in :cheers:

Points 48; Position 20
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

richard wrote: The forum is a powerful tool and can make or break a place
With all due respect to HHAD and the many wonderful services it provides :bow: :bow: I think you may be overestimating its influence just a tad, Richard.
This is the way
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

DM Sorry I disagree

I've had preferential service because I've posted good reports about their places. Even free and discounted meals which I've refused out of principle. When they serve crap I will say so.When it's good I'll post so. That;s my nature

The forum is powerful.
There are are a number of places I've been to based on site postings because of recommendations from posters

The site is not about word of mouth it's about telling the globe

:cheers:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

I agree the 10% is over the top and I'll cross swords with Bill when he returns
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

Richard - would you say you give Bill free 'powerful' advertising by continually praising his restaurant (after originally giving it an absolute slating) and by doing so you get preferential treatment?