April 30

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
PeteC

April 30

Post by PeteC »

Today is the 30th anniversary of the fall of Saigon and the end of the Vietnam War. The day my country abandoned the Vietnamese people and dishonored me and every other soldier who fought in that war and died in that war. Hang your head in shame fellow Americans and pause for a moment of silence. Pete
larry70dj

Post by larry70dj »

Pete, I was only 7 when the war ended and to my shame I have never read or reserched about the subject which took place in an area of the world which I visit so often.I am not an educated man, but I will procede to find out more about the history of the war and its consequences and not the popular mythology spawned by Hollywood.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Good for you Larry and I wish more younger generation Americans would do the same. Focus on Nixon's promise to the Vietnamese people, and then after his resignation, the refusal of the US Congress to rescue or even provide further support for them. Pete
Heebio
Professional
Professional

Post by Heebio »

I too was only seven when the Vietnam war ended but I'm deeply interested in the subject and plan to visit Vietnam on my next trip.

I've seen first hand the devastating effects of first four years of the Khmer Rouge then 15 years of civil war has had on the Cambodian people. Interestingly the 30th anniversary of the Khmer Rouge entering, then proceeding to empty the population of Phnom Penh, passed without too much publicity two weeks ago.

Nixon, but more significantly, Henry Kissinger, have a lot to answer for.
Never trust a hippy....
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Johnson and Macnamara have the most to answer for. Total mismanagement by not allowing their generals to fight the war properly. Did you know Johnson from the comfort of the oval office would personally select bombing targets without asking advice from anyone!? Anyway, don't want my BP to get too high over this once again. See below link which will give you some basic reading on a daily/diary type basis concerning the war. Link is large and you may need to cut and paste. Pete

http://www.historychannel.com/cgi-bin/t ... m&x=27&y=4