How many car-related acronyms and symbols do you know?

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
JWWhite
Professional
Professional

Post by JWWhite »

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/car-tech ... spartanntp
MY in BS full of BS.
“When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.” Stephen Jay Gould
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: How many car-related acronyms and symbols do you know?

Post by STEVE G »

One of the Ford's that I use at work has a warning that goes off for "Low outside air temperature". Aside from the fact that I already know that because before I was in the car, I was outside it, what am I supposed to do with that information? Lower the windows and drive around in circles with the heater full on?
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

I've impressed myself with this one, am normally shit with everything car related but got 13 out of 14.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

STEVE G wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:49 pm One of the Ford's that I use at work has a warning that goes off for "Low outside air temperature". Aside from the fact that I already know that because before I was in the car, I was outside it, what am I supposed to do with that information? Lower the windows and drive around in circles with the heater full on?
Maybe consider that if it’s near freezing there could be ice on the road so drive more carefully. If you’re on a long journey, the temperature may have dropped considerably since your journey commenced - particularly likely if you started before it was dark and it’s now dark so temperatures will have dropped.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

STEVE G wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:49 pm One of the Ford's that I use at work has a warning that goes off for "Low outside air temperature". Aside from the fact that I already know that because before I was in the car, I was outside it, what am I supposed to do with that information? Lower the windows and drive around in circles with the heater full on?
I get that in my car when the outside temp falls to ... I think it's 3 celsius and the book explains it's so that you can be aware of the chance of black ice.

if you're getting it in Thailand maybe to warn you to put a sweater on???? :laugh:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:53 pm
Maybe consider that if it’s near freezing there could be ice on the road so drive more carefully. If you’re on a long journey, the temperature may have dropped considerably since your journey commenced - particularly likely if you started before it was dark and it’s now dark so temperatures will have dropped.
I appreciate that but I was driving cars before they had such things and I don't remember ever being caught out by the onset of winter. I once had a 1952 Austin that managed quite well without that kind of thing but I will admit that the heater left you with no doubt that it was cold out!
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

STEVE G wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:14 pm I don't remember ever being caught out by the onset of winter
but it's not warning you about the onset of winter, it's warning you that ice could be forming on the road surface. The onset of winter happens once a year. The temp can dip under 3 degrees 10 times in one single day. Or like dannyboy said, you could start driving in winter sunshine temps of 12 degrees at 4pm and within an hour and darkness creeping in it could be down to 2 or 3.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

At least you don't have these problems in Thailand, I've had my Toyota truck for over ten years and I don't even know where the switch for the heated rear window is, or the fog lights!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

STEVE G wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:14 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:53 pm
I appreciate that but I was driving cars before they had such things and I don't remember ever being caught out by the onset of winter. I once had a 1952 Austin that managed quite well without that kind of thing but I will admit that the heater left you with no doubt that it was cold out!
Well I’m sure there are a lot of Forum members who were driving cars before they introduced seat belts, disc brakes, ABS, and all the latest safety devices on modern cars and survive to this day - the simple fact is that it’s another safety feature to try to ensure that you start and finish your journey in one piece.