Do you have a Bucket List

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Do you have a Bucket List

Post by Nereus »

pharvey wrote: - scares me a bit where some of the guys on this thread have been!!
Yes indeed. Back in the 1970's there was an old Doctor that was the appointed Port Medical Officer responsible for all shipping related medical matters where I worked for a time. He use to say: "you bloody seamen put your old fella where I wouldn't put my walking stick"! Fits well with a couple of posters on another thread! :shock:

I really should make the effort to go and see where Grandma came from. She evidently didn't stay home, but wandered down to Liverpool and got mixed up with a lad from across the warter, hence the Irish connection. :cheers:

Did you happen to visit Durty Nelly's Restaurant and Bar? It is actually County Clare I think, but close to Limerick and famous. It has been there for around 300 years. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I used to go to Dirty Nelly's pub quite often when I was working at Shannon airport some years ago, it's in Bunratty, next to the castle and only a few km from where I used to stay in Shannon. There was another place nearby called the Creamery that had live music and also a hotel with a nice bar in it.
We used to drink in Bunratty because the pubs in Shannon were a bit on the rough side!
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Bucket list

Post by dtaai-maai »

There are a few things on my unwritten bucket list that I never got round to, including skiing and skydiving. Take a look at this amazing video.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... e-66226551
A new record has been made by a group of skydivers in Nottinghamshire.

The team of 41 jumpers combined above Skydive Langar to create the largest ever sequential formation dive to take place in the UK.

Formation skydiving involves participants taking hold of one another to create shapes while falling at speeds of about 120mph (193km/h) for up to one minute, Skydive Langar said.

They set the record by making two consecutive shapes in the sky involving all 41 people - the largest number of British jumpers ever to complete a sequential formation dive.

Shortly afterwards, they broke their own record by forming three consecutive formations.
This is the way
buksida

Re: Bucket list

Post by buksida »

Skydiving is on mine also, did the training for it years ago but the weather was too shite to take the plane up on the day. Don't think I'd trust going in Thailand, they can barely keep a bridge up! Been snowboarding (which was better than skiing), done the bungee jump, and plenty of scuba diving.

There are plenty of places still on the bucket list that I need to fit in before I get too old, set in my ways, and can't be arsed to do anything. Patagonia, Kashmir, Cuba, Iceland, New Zealand, South Africa ... its a big bucket!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Most of mine revolve around travel, places to visit. Did the skydiving, scuba, skiing, bungee, rappelling but at this age easy travel is called for.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Kashmir, 1981 on a houseboat on Lake Dal in Srinagar.

Heaven in those days but I missed out on so much - ie the trekking up north to Leh and Ladakh because I was a lazy git.

Shikaras - sort of canoes - that came by all the time. "Hey, English, you want Campa Cola, water, Mars bars, ciggies etc etc?", let alone what was stashed away under the floorboards.

Kashmir, get there Buks and hopefully there won't be any strife between India and Pakistan??

I'm going to put some Led Zep on now.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

I was one of the first groups from the UK to visit Cuba 3 times in the mid nineties. I stayed in the beach resort of Varadero which previously served as a holiday retreat for the USSR soldiers. No doubt things have changed there now but when I was there it was quite limiting food and drink wise. Highlights was Al Capones and the Du Pont mansions in Varadero.
Havana had just been granted World Heritage status and it was sad to see all the mansions in various stages of disrepair.
Highlights included the obligatory cigar factory, the old American cars, Bar La Bodega where Hemmingway used to go for his Mojito's, pictures and signature all over the walls of the Rat Pack and Mafiosi. La Floridita, another watering hole favoured by EH for the famous Daquiri .

Have recently considered going back to see how much things have changed but I did like the simplicity in those early days.
2023-07-04.jpg
2023-07-04.jpg (269.73 KiB) Viewed 423 times
2023-05-12.jpg
2023-05-12.jpg (343.68 KiB) Viewed 423 times
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

I think my bucket list nowadays is more historical and geographical.
Earlier this year I did Rome,(Coloseum etc), Pompei ruins, in particular the amphitheatre were Pink Floyd staged an audienceless concert in 1972(Echoes playing in my earbuds :rasta: ), Mt Vesuvius and Herculaneum. Athens Acropolis and Temple of Zeus, then over to Lindos,Rhodes for their Acropolis( and even though we rarely saw eye to eye I did raise a glass of ouzo to Lindosfan RIP).
Already booked next years trip, Lake Como, Pompeii again and then over to Taormina, Sicily for The Godfather movie locations tour and of course Mt Etna. Also Season 2 of The White Lotus was filmed in Taormina but I won't be staying at the location hotel at 3,700 quid a night :laugh:.

download.jpg
download.jpg (11.55 KiB) Viewed 414 times
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

....before I get too old, set in my ways, and can't be arsed to do anything
I'm getting a bit like that, after over 40 years of working away from home, when I get back I just like to sit in the garden with the dogs, a walk on the beach and then wander down the pub for a couple in the evening!
buksida

Post by buksida »

STEVE G wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:40 pm
....before I get too old, set in my ways, and can't be arsed to do anything
I'm getting a bit like that, after over 40 years of working away from home, when I get back I just like to sit in the garden with the dogs, a walk on the beach and then wander down the pub for a couple in the evening!
Its a common theme mate, from what I've observed, once people hit 60 they dont seem to want to do much anymore. I need to squeeze in a lot of road trips over the next few years!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson