Cornwall and South Devon more European than English?

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
Bamboo Grove

Cornwall and South Devon more European than English?

Post by Bamboo Grove »

PeteC

Re: Cornwall and South Devon more European than English?

Post by PeteC »

There's a lot of this kind of thing depending upon how far back you go. The northwest Scottish highlands used to be part of North America as well. Pete :cheers:

https://www.earthmagazine.org/article/t ... s-scotland

http://www.discoveringfossils.co.uk/how ... formed.htm
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I have always understood that the UK was once part of mainland Europe. To what extent has I assume, been based on theory as much as fact. I think what's more interesting is the movement of people and how that characterised areas. Cornwall has a fascinating history and strong Celtic connections, as evidenced by the number of historical remains in the County. The Cornish language has been resurrected and is now officially recognised and it's a County very proud of it's differences to the rest of England and it's heritage. It's also one of my favourite places.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doggerland
Talk is cheap
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

The Cornish language has been resurrected and is now officially recognised and it's a County very proud of it's differences to the rest of England and it's heritage.
One of my colleagues here in Luxembourg drives around with a Kernow flag stuck on the back of his car which surprised me when I first saw it, and it surprised him when I knew what it was because he said no one else here had a clue. ( Kernow is Cornish for Cornwall and the flag is a white cross on a black background.)
I spent about seven years based out of there in the eighties and it's a wonderful place but like much of the region, has a miserable climate for much of the year consisting largely of what the locals call "mizzle", which is a cross between mist and drizzle.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Some years ago I bought a "Cornish Chunky" (thick woolen jumper) - always makes me laugh with the label saying "Made in Cornwall, Near England".... :D
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Back in the days when some pubs had a number plate above the bar saying "RU 18" to remind people about underage drinking, the Cornish version said "18 RE" !
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

STEVE G wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:02 pm Back in the days when some pubs had a number plate above the bar saying "RU 18" to remind people about underage drinking, the Cornish version said "18 RE" !
:lach:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The only thing that comes to mind when I think of Cornwall is 'Scrumpy' and that alone makes it a worthwhile place to visit. I remember in my younger days drinking Scrumpy at 10d a pint. Drank through closed teeth to filter out the 'foreign bodies'. Oh, happy days!.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

More Foo than Science in this one so put it back where it started. :laugh: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

HHTel wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:14 pm The only thing that comes to mind when I think of Cornwall is 'Scrumpy' and that alone makes it a worthwhile place to visit. I remember in my younger days drinking Scrumpy at 10d a pint. Drank through closed teeth to filter out the 'foreign bodies'. Oh, happy days!.
I'd always link Somerset with "Scrumpy" - although we also have some great "Still Ciders" in our part of Wales. As for Cornwall, CORNISH PASTIES!!

:cheers: :cheers:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Used to be based in Devonport many years ago. Scrumpy was prevalent on both sides of the bridge. But so what. After a few pints you don't care where it came from!!
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

pharvey wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:19 pm
HHTel wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:14 pm The only thing that comes to mind when I think of Cornwall is 'Scrumpy' and that alone makes it a worthwhile place to visit. I remember in my younger days drinking Scrumpy at 10d a pint. Drank through closed teeth to filter out the 'foreign bodies'. Oh, happy days!.
I'd always link Somerset with "Scrumpy" - although we also have some great "Still Ciders" in our part of Wales. As for Cornwall, CORNISH PASTIES!!

It`s been proved historically that pasties originated in DEVON
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

pharvey wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:19 pm

When in a Cornish pub my Australian friend asked for scrumpy, the landlord said Scrumpy comes from Devon we don`t sell it. To which my friend said, why then, do you sell Fosters?
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

I`m a Devonian and I don`t feel European in the slightest
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

HHTel wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:00 pm Used to be based in Devonport many years ago. Scrumpy was prevalent on both sides of the bridge. But so what. After a few pints you don't care where it came from!!
Fair comment :thumb: :D