Vote-buying biggest problem for Sunday's Thai election

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Vote-buying biggest problem for Sunday's Thai election

Post by Lev »

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) - Candidates in Thailand's general election Sunday will spend nearly 10 billion baht (US$260 million, euro201.4 million) to buy their way to victory in a campaign marked by corruption, gambling and vote-buying, according to two surveys seen Friday.

One of two polls by Bangkok's Assumption University showed that more than one in three respondents believed massive vote buying was among the greatest concerns for the election.

Vote-buying and other corrupt practices have marred past balloting in Thailand despite efforts in recent years to curb such tactics by an Election Commission and non-government organizations.

"Only a buffalo would spend (billions of baht) for an election. My party has the advantage and there is no need to buy votes,'' said Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra last week.

Full Story

The BBC's Kylie Morris says the result is a devastating blow for the opposition, who had hoped to win at least 201 seats to be able to censure the government in parliament.

"I was shocked when I saw the exit polls, that Thai Rak Thai managed to win 399 (seats) and the Democrats won only 80," Democrat party chief Banyat Bantadtan said.

Mr Banyat also alleged that vote-buying had increased on the eve of the poll.

"There was a huge vote-buying effort last night," in southern provinces, which are seen as Democrat strongholds, Mr Banyat told Thai television.

Full Story from the BBC