Guilty

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Jim
Guru
Guru

Guilty

Post by Jim »

tuktukmike
Guru
Guru

Post by tuktukmike »

Unreal.

This policeman pleaded not guilty in court and tried to say the killings were done by someone else.

He said his statement to police was given under duress and denied the account given.

Yet the judge says as he confessed to police he will not get the death penalty.

I can only think that as he was one of the boys in brown they let him off lightly.

And how many people really think he will serve a life sentence, as i read it in Thaivisa forum he has stated if found guilty he will appeal and probably be let out on bail.

Does this sound like the kind of actions of a man who the court say confessed ???????

Mike.
tonychang

Post by tonychang »

Rider
Ace
Ace

Post by Rider »

Lets hope his ass is kept in the slammer for a looooooong time! :guns:
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

Rider wrote:Lets hope his ass is kept in the slammer for a looooooong time! :guns:
If he ever is put away he'll be out as soon as public outcry is over and nobody is watching any more.
Currently his friends in the police are fabricating new evidence, destroying current and valid existing evidence,
threatening and/or bribing the judge and generally behaving as is expected of them.

This is a country where a prominent politician's son shot a man in a nightclub, in full sight of many people.
Of course he was released, his father is a powerfull man.

This also is a country where the prime minister has promised to stamp out corruption.

Yeah, right!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

A number of us have had this conversation before on this forum board regarding jurisprudence in Thailand. It's certainly a very highly charged subject, particularly when a Westerner is involved.
The question I would like answered is this :
Somchai got away with the death penalty by confessing in the first instance, despite his squirmings afterwards. If he appeals and the original verdict is upheld, will the sentence handed down by The Appeal Court be more harsh than he already has?
I'm pretty sure that the Appelate Court can't raise the verdict to the death penalty, but I'm sure it'll take a very dim view of the waste of court's time. That would only further ensure that he serves his proper sentence - ie 25 years, I believe. I would reckon his lawyers would be advising him not to appeal.
As far as his getting out in 8-10 years is concerned, I reckon this case has attracted too much international coverage for the Thai authorities to release him at their earliest opportunity.
After all, he was only a little sergeant, not a high ranking politician.
Everyone needs to save face here and it won't be Somchai's.
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

lomuamart wrote: I reckon this case has attracted too much international coverage for the Thai authorities to release him at their earliest opportunity.
The case did not even get a mention on the 10 O'clock BBC evening news here in the UK on the day the verdict was announced (26 May 2005). It is old news now - this is the sad reality.