Chinese tourists (and their habits) surge into Thailand

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Chinese tourists (and their habits) surge into Thailand

Post by Nereus »

handdrummer wrote:Your quote is at the top of the page. I don't see why you find my comment offensive enough to call me "stupid". Be that as it may if you don't like it, stick it.
It is obvious tat you cannot read or understand English. For a start I was referring to Chinese girls NOT Thai. Secondly, I have CLEARY written above the photo that the example is NOT what I am referring to. And finally, I have not written that YOU are stupid, but that your comment is. However if the cap fits, then wear it. :roll:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
buksida

Post by buksida »

More ass kissing for the Chinese ...

Tourism minister backs double-entry visa for Chinese tourists

Tourism and Sports Minister Weerasak Kowsurat has expressed support for the idea of granting double-entry visas for Chinese tourists to encourage them to return to the Kingdom.

Weerasak said on Thursday that he agreed with the proposal of the Tourism Council of Thailand Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA) to allow Chinese tourists to visit Thailand twice after being granted an entry visa. Weerasak said he would coordinate with the Foreign Ministry and other government agencies concerned to have the proposal approved and implemented. The number of Chinese tourists has sharply dropped after a boat full of Chinese tourists capsized in Phuket in early June.

Deputy Prime Minister Gen Prawit Wongsuwan then blamed it on the illegal Chinese operator of the tour boat service. His comment infuriated Chinese tourists who called for a boycott, prompting Prawit to issue a public apology.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30355385
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

The ass kissing continues - I guess Thailand has given up on every other nationality.

China outreach aims to rescue tourism
Thai travel agencies are mobilising efforts to woo back Chinese travellers in the wake of July's deadly Phuket boat disaster and amid rising competition from neighbouring countries by promoting second-tier provinces and appealing to authorities to ease visa requirements.

Members of the Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA) last month conducted roadshows in Tianjing, Quingdao, Hefei and Nanjing to draw Chinese tourists to 55 secondary provinces in Thailand.

The roadshows in the four Chinese cities attracted as many as 400 Chinese travel agents to various events.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/to ... ue-tourism
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

The Thai-Chinese who have always been powerful politically and economically will do very well with this new China relationship, including trade and tourism. . Beware, the neo-colonialism that is so apparent in Laos may spread. I am told that Thai-Chinese who have always tried to have their children bilingual, sending them to US/UK/Aus for some schooling are now sending their children to the prestigious Chinese Language Institute in Beijing.
And as for Chinese tourists, we in HH have no appreciation of the volume of Chinese tourists in Thai--I was staggered when I went to Chiang Mai at the numbers.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

oakdale160 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:23 pm I am told that Thai-Chinese who have always tried to have their children bilingual, sending them to US/UK/Aus for some schooling are now sending their children to the prestigious Chinese Language Institute in Beijing.
Frankly, if I were Thai I'd have been doing that about 10 years ago.
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:20 am
oakdale160 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:23 pm I am told that Thai-Chinese who have always tried to have their children bilingual, sending them to US/UK/Aus for some schooling are now sending their children to the prestigious Chinese Language Institute in Beijing.
Frankly, if I were Thai I'd have been doing that about 10 years ago.
Not too sure. The LHG is a qualified teacher (in Chinese obviously), but is very anti the way things work in China (as I am with teaching).
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

^^What I meant was simply that I'd have had my children learning Chinese.
This is the way
buksida

Post by buksida »

Ministry backtracks on visa fee waiver plan

The government's plans to exempt tourists from visa-on-arrival fees to attract foreign travellers is unlikely to happen this year, according to Tourism and Sports Minister Weerasak Kowsurat.

He said at a meeting with the private sector on Thursday that Chinese tourists have already finished their travel planning for the high season this year and will resume their overseas trips during Chinese New Year, which falls in early February.

On Wednesday, Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak instructed the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) to discuss plans with the Immigration Office to exempt tourists from 21 nations from visa-on-arrival fees in the remaining two months of this year.

The idea is to exempt Chinese visitors from the 2,000-baht visa fee in a bid to stem falling numbers after the July boat accident off Phuket that killed 47 Chinese tourists.

Attracting visitors with an exemption during this period might not help reclaim visitors from the mainland, Mr Weerasak said.

"We still have time to think about the visa issue, but maybe not for this year," he said.

Although Chinese arrivals were down nearly 15% in September, Mr Weerasak voiced satisfaction that tourism from the mainland remains in good health and that Thailand continues to be the top destination for Chinese visitors.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/to ... aiver-plan
buksida

Post by buksida »

Chinese will be first to get access to Thai e-visa service

The Consular Affairs Department will launch its first e-visa service in February, starting with it being available in Beijing with a plan to gradually expand to other countries over three years.

The department annpounced on Monday it had joined with Kasikornbank, which will handle the payments side, in making the service available.

From Feb 15, applicants in the Chinese capital would have no need to visit the embassy to fill out a form and have it processed. They would be able to do it online at www.thaievisa.go.th.. The service would be made available in other Chinese cities later.

The e-visa service would be expanded to the United Kingdom in March and France a month later, the announcement said. All Thai embassies and consuls-general would offer the service within three years.

Department director-general Chatri Archjananun said China was chosen as the launch pad because Chinese made up the single largest group of foreign nationals seeking visas to enter the kingdom.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/to ... sa-service
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

10 millionth Chinese tourist this year arrives in Thailand (but the big question is: how many returned home? :twisted: )

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/to ... recent_box

When He Wei Xin planned a trip to Thailand, she had no idea she was destined to become the 10 millionth visitor from China this year.

The tourist arriving on Thai Airways International flight TG613 from Kunming on Wednesday was intercepted by officials after going through the immigration process at Suvarnabhumi airport -- not because she was suspected of some heinous crime, but because she was the 10 millionth tourist arriving from the Middle Kingdom this year.

Miss Xe received souvenirs from Tourism and Sports Minister Weerasak Kowsurat and Suvarnabhumi airport general manager Sutheerawat Suwannwat -- and a free ride in an Airports of Thailand limousine to her hotel.

The THAI Airways flight from Kunming touched down in Bangkok at 4.35pm.

The Chinese top the roster of foreign arrivals to Thailand, with 8.37 million visitors in the first nine months of this year.

Officials previously targeted an even larger number of visitors from China in 2018. Arrivals dropped after the July Phoenix boat tragedy in Phuket that claimed the lives of 47 Chinese tourists.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Visa on arrival fee waiver extended
The cabinet on Tuesday agreed to extend the waiver on the 2,000-baht visa-on-arrival fee for nationals of particular countries until the end of April to boost tourism, according to Tourism and Sports Minister Veerasak Kowsurat.

The minister said the waiver for nationals of 20 countries, including China, was set to end on Sunday.

The cabinet however granted an extension which will benefit foreign tourists and draw them to Thailand during the Chinese New Year early next month and the Songkran festival in the middle of April.

Tourist arrivals from mainland China have dropped in the past few months because of multiple factors, including the economic slowdown in China and a boat capsizing off Phuket in July killing dozens of Chinese tourists.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... r-extended
buksida

Post by buksida »

Chinese owners turning condos into ‘hotels’
Local residents are getting sick of the parade of travellers using their condominiums as de facto hotels by renting rooms out from Chinese owners.

Tenants at Condo C Ekkamai (Sukhumvit Soi 63), for instance, are at the end of their tether, complaining that Chinese owners are renting their rooms out to their compatriots. Many of the rentals are on a daily basis – which is illegal under Thai law.

“The condo was like Beijing during Songkran,” one of the tenants complained. “The owners had set up check-in, check-out facilities and even offered space to store baggage. There was also a team of maids on hand to do the cleaning.” This problem has been the subject of many complaints to the condo’s management, who incorrectly claim they are powerless to stop it.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30369692

And these are the people the junta are bending over backwards to let in to Thailand while constantly cracking down on farang expats, the majority of which are well behaved and spend ten times more... :banghead:

Trade spat hands Thailand chance to lure more Chinese
Thailand's tourism sector is expected to get a windfall from the growing tension between the US and China as tourists from the mainland shorten their long-haul journeys to visit closer destinations instead.

Thailand will monitor whether the Chinese government will issue a travel ban to the US for its residents, similar to those issued prohibiting visits to South Korea and Japan during growing conflict with those two countries.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/to ... re-chinese
buksida

Post by buksida »

TAT, Alipay sign deal to lure more Chinese visitors
The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has signed a letter of intent with Alipay (Hangzhou) Technology Co to cooperate with the world's largest online payment platform to lure visitors from China.

The one-year cooperation began yesterday and aims at increasing the number of high-quality visitors from the mainland, said TAT governor Yuthasak Supasorn.

Mr Yuthasak said he estimated many of the 10.5 million Chinese tourists who visited Thailand last year used Alipay to pay for their transactions.

Chattan Kunjara Na Ayudhya, the TAT's deputy governor for marketing in Asia and the South Pacific, said under the cooperation, the tourism authority will help support Chinese tourists who use this financial tool to more easily access services at restaurants, spas, hospitals, department stores and theme parks while travelling in Thailand.

In turn, Alipay will create promotions for Chinese, especially high spenders, in the form of "Thank You Rewards", which they hope will lure them to spend more here.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/to ... e-visitors

The junta just cant get enough of these 'high quality visitors' that abuse their religious monuments, kill their marine life, and rent out their buildings to each other.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

The big stores in Bkk and no doubt other places already cater for Unique Chinese payment methods.
Talk is cheap
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

(Racist Rant)

[Mod Edit] Remainder of your post removed. Racist remarks are not permitted - you have been your own judge and jury.