Thailand to introduce compulsory travel insurance/tourist tax

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Thailand to introduce compulsory travel insurance/tourist tax

Post by handdrummer »

it seems that this means that soon, no one without health insurance will be able to travel. I wonder what will happen when a person who has a retirement visa in Thailand takes a vacation to another country. will said person have to show proof of insurance before being readmitted to Thailand? if so, I'm trapped here forever.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

handdrummer-- In whichever country you are visiting, buy a short-term Travel insurance before leaving and show at IMM,
But don't worry its never going to happen.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

So far the following countries require proof of Med Ins
Russia, Cuba, Malaysia, Dubai.
The Schengen countries need proof of Insurance in your own country, but that will all change with Brexit.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

And do you remember, there used to be machines in airports where you could buy, not med Ins, but life insurance just for your flights. you bought it, then mailed the policy to a loved one, otherwise when you perished so did the policy.
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

When I went to Malaysia as tourist I never needed an insurance certificate.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

oakdale160 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:15 am The Schengen countries need proof of Insurance in your own country, but that will all change with Brexit.
Why? the UK is not part of Schengen!
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Do note that up to about 1991, any tourist who stayed more than 90 days had to have a tax stamp in the back of their passports. Those who didn't obviously missed their flights, were hauled off to the tax department in Sanam Luang, and though they ended up not having to pay anything in most cases, it was a very lucrative sideline for the travel agencies around the area. The then elected prime minister, Anan Panyacharun, managed to put a stop to that.
วินเชนท์
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ A typo I'm sure, but Anand was unelected.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Perhaps, but he made a lot of changes that made life easier for some of us.
วินเชนท์
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ No argument there. He was much better at the job than any PM since, whether elected or otherwise.
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

pitsch wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:50 am When I went to Malaysia as tourist I never needed an insurance certificate.
Same here and I currently visit Dubai regularly and have never been asked to provide proof of medical insurance.
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
buksida

Post by buksida »

THAILAND has been in the press a lot recently, and not always for the best reasons.

Following the heroic rescue of 12 young Thai boys and their coach earlier this month from the Tham Luang cave in the Chiang Rai province, Thailand has been caught up in a series of adverse events.

One of these being the tragic boat accident on the southern Thai island of Phuket which left 47 people dead; all of whom were Chinese nationals.

The incident led to thousands of hotel bookings being canceled and caused a drastic fall in Chinese visitor numbers to the country.

But Thailand’s National Legislative Assembly committee on religion, culture, and tourism are refusing to let this accident damage the nation’s reputation as a number one vacation spot among Chinese travellers.

A specially organised seminar, held last week in Bangkok, discussed proposals on how to entice Chinese tourists back to the country and how to ensure their safety.

One initiative, in particular, piqued the interest of Tourism and Sports Minister Weerasak Kowsurat. The idea was to make travel insurance compulsory for all foreign visitors.

The seminar heard how the boat accident cost Thailand THB64 million (US$1.9 million) in compensation, which was paid to the victim’s families.

This payout has led to Thailand’s tourist protection fund being just one major incident away from going bust.

However, this isn’t the first time Thailand has floated the idea of obligatory travel insurance.

Back in June, Thailand’s tourism officials submitted proposals to make travel insurance compulsory after an estimated TBH3,000,000,000 (US$9.2 million) in unpaid hospital bills were racked up by foreign visitors.

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2018/08/ ... ECO2ehz.97
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

And what use will travel insurance be when you are dead. Droning in a boat trip, crushed by a bus/truck, trampled by an elephant etc.

This does not solve a basic problem in Thailand which is lawlessness, with a large portion of the population not complying with even the most basic laws.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

One initiative, in particular, piqued the interest of Tourism and Sports Minister Weerasak Kowsurat. The idea was to make travel insurance compulsory for all foreign visitors.
And this was a way to entice the Chinese back. Am I missing something?
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Nearly every country has compulsory travel/health insurance. They don't want people to use the medical facilities then skip out. I don't like it and can't afford it so I no longer travel, but I can understand the purpose.