Thailand to introduce compulsory travel insurance/tourist tax

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Thailand to introduce compulsory travel insurance/tourist tax

Post by HHTel »

europtimiste wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:56 am
HHTel wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:09 am
It is idiotic to add ill health etc to everyone who is in their advanced years. I know people 20 years younger who is nowhere near as fit as some.
Will happen soon or later, it's not idiotic to say, one day it's the end.
My mother (92) has been reading your comments. She's still here on her annual holiday. She would love to meet you "I'll give him a moment to remember!!"
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

HHTel wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:13 pm
europtimiste wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:56 am
HHTel wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:09 am
It is idiotic to add ill health etc to everyone who is in their advanced years. I know people 20 years younger who is nowhere near as fit as some.
Will happen soon or later, it's not idiotic to say, one day it's the end.
My mother (92) has been reading your comments. She's still here on her annual holiday. She would love to meet you "I'll give him a moment to remember!!"
Hello to your mother and I wish her nice holidays.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

we havve wandered away from discussing whether this will be implemented. Apparently several countries have discussed this but only a couple have implemented it. I expect that with Brexit it will be more important for UK visitors to Europe to have private coverage.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Compulsory travel health insurance merely forces people to do what they should be doing. Why should the Thai taxpayer pick up the bill for irresponsible foreigners. This is obviously unfortunate for people with health problems who can't get insurance. Perhaps this could be got round by them providing some form of guarantee that they could pay their bills. However some scenarios would be totally unaffordable.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

dundrillin wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:49 pm Compulsory travel health insurance merely forces people to do what they should be doing. Why should the Thai taxpayer pick up the bill for irresponsible foreigners. This is obviously unfortunate for people with health problems who can't get insurance. Perhaps this could be got round by them providing some form of guarantee that they could pay their bills. However some scenarios would be totally unaffordable.
Totally agree,
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

dundrillin wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:49 pm Compulsory travel health insurance merely forces people to do what they should be doing. Why should the Thai taxpayer pick up the bill for irresponsible foreigners. This is obviously unfortunate for people with health problems who can't get insurance. Perhaps this could be got round by them providing some form of guarantee that they could pay their bills. However some scenarios would be totally unaffordable.
As far as I know Thai people don't pay taxes. There are no property taxes and no income tax and no sales tax here in Thailand.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Sales tax (VAT) is 7% but only on major businesses most small shops etc pay no VAT. True that most Thais pay no income tax, that's why so many have lots of cash. There is property tax.

http://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html
Last edited by StevePIraq on Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Name Taken wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:01 pm
As far as I know Thai people don't pay taxes. There are no property taxes and no income tax and no sales tax here in Thailand.
Apart from being wrong in every aspect, an interesting comment. I presume that what you mean is that a lot of people avoid paying tax, but certainly not everybody. Property tax for Thai's is very low but more for foreigners. Income tax is payable for higher earners. All of the big hotels and big shopping outlets charge VAT
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:11 pm
Name Taken wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:01 pm
Apart from being wrong in every aspect, an interesting comment. I presume that what you mean is that a lot of people avoid paying tax, but certainly not everybody. Property tax for Thai's is very low but more for foreigners. Income tax is payable for higher earners. All of the big hotels and big shopping outlets charge VAT
Read it again , it is nothing to do with avoiding paying tax it is about irresponsible travellers avoiding paying medical bills whilst on holiday. I'm not talking about expats who live here. Many countries are having to pick up the bill when irresponsible travellers do not take out TRAVEL insurance. Got it???
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

It also explains why the hospitals are very greedy when a farang with money seeks care. Each hospital has huge debts incurred by farang who do not pay.
The other problem on insisting on each visitor having to have Health Ins is that it would make processing at the airport much much more lengthy as the officer scanned you insurance certificate.
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

What about Expats? I think they will ask everyone arriving for an insurance certificate.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

For those who apply for a Visa from an embassy before they travel it would be easy to require them to produce evidence of HI before it was issued. t is those coming in on a 30day airport admission that are the problem. Many of those without insurance or money are here on a long-expired 30 day admission.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

oakdale160 wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:33 am For those who apply for a Visa from an embassy before they travel it would be easy to require them to produce evidence of HI before it was issued. t is those coming in on a 30day airport admission that are the problem. Many of those without insurance or money are here on a long-expired 30 day admission.
Still no problem to enforce as they could be required to show insurance when checking in at the origination.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I wonder if this requirement is across the board e.g. Cambodian or Burmese workers, who are probably a lot more likely to be embarrassed by a large hospital bill.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

at the present-- Russia, Cuba, Malaysia and Dubai are the only countries requiring proof of insurance. The 15 Schengen countries have some arrangements and requirements but this will change with Brexit.