how long on death row will they spend

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Jaime wrote:I saw a BBC documentary about Bang Kwang prison about 6 months ago. It was predictably called something like 'Inside the Bangkok Hilton.' For the westerners (who all seemed utterly desperate) I am sure that it is hell but for the Thai inmates, well I'm not so sure. Hard ceramic floors, spartan and fairly clinical cells, concrete walls, no furniture, nothing to do but sleep all day, little air movement, nothing but rice to eat at breakfast, noon and night, very little money for luxuries and compliance & conformity underpinned by a strong social hierarchy. In short a communal version of almost every rural Thai home I have visited!

Is this view too cynical?
Maybe a little Jaime. The whole point of prison, nomatter what the conditions are is to take away the freedom of the perpitator. This serves a dual purpose. One, of punshment which I believe is warranted, and the other, of keeping these criminals out of normal society so not to be able to carry on commiting crimes the the general public. They can, of course, and often do, continue to offend whilst in prison.

As for people who committ rape and murder, I can agree with the sentiments of some posters in that nothing is too severe a punishment for these people. However my head says that maybe we are lowering ourselves to their pitiful standards by taking away their lives. There is also the viewpoint that lifetime incaceration is a greater punishment than death. Many religious beliefs preach this philosophy.

At least in one cased the death penalty has been demanded by the killer indicating that even convicted killers may view death as a more preferable alternative than life imprisonment.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]