Govt cracks down on alcohol promotion and advertising

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: some more new rules regards alcohol

Post by hhfarang »

^ True... but now, unbelievably, most of the bars on "Cowboy" are owned by a middle eastern Arab conglomerate.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

GLCQuantum wrote:Without education a person has nothing. Ninety five percent of Thai people have no real education.

Very sad. Could have been a great country if people with a noggin were in charge.

:agree:
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Won't last and will end up being swept away at some point as it is an ill-thought out idea, rather like when they announced that all illegal workers would be arrested and expelled......and we know what happened there.

These grandiose ideas are sweepingly proposed with no realistic thought having been given to the effects of such actions and how many people lose money, jobs or businesses (I don't care if Soi Cowboy disappears but regarding the idea on a national scale). It's going to be one long comedy show seeing this new administration trying to turn this fairly hedonistic and avarice orientated society into what the elite want it to be. It'll be funny to see when they outlaw scooter boy and force him into school and into using condoms.

Thing is though, that now those that are in charge are from a set up that is unused to others opinions on what it decides as usually, in their world, it's a quick snap of the feet, a salute and the words "Yes Sir!" Opinions are not required.

Plutocracy has and always will be the winner and the way of things here........nothing new to see, move along.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
jimmy40
Professional
Professional

Post by jimmy40 »

You got to be MAD....
No drinking is allowed after midnight in bars or restaurants!!!!
That will kill the place. That's IF they follow up on the chest beating.
I think with these Rules in place like passport carry, no more visa runs, no drinking, no more girls, mobile bars, over inflated Baht, etc etc.
Whats left here? I don't know about you lot but I think I may start looking else where ;(
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Re: Govt cracks down on alcohol promotion and advertising

Post by europtimiste »

A continuity of stupid decisions which will not promote happiness of people. That will work in favor of opponents to junta.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

The curfew went down really well in tourist areas. This'll be another winner for sure.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

I think that if this was a serious announcment of yet another nationwide "Crackdown" it would have been made in BKK and not in CM by a Second Lieutenant.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I'm inclined to agree, Bristolian. You'd think we'd have learned by now not to overreact to 'announcements' like this. Still, I suppose it livens up the day.
This is the way
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

I think the Junta has a brilliant sense of humour. Announce a few "crackdowns"..Retire and scan the Forums for the usual knee jerk reactions and see who was the winner of the number of "That's the last straw, I'm outta here" comments sweep :naughty:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

sateeb wrote:I think the Junta has a brilliant sense of humour. Announce a few "crackdowns"..Retire and scan the Forums for the usual knee jerk reactions and see who was the winner of the number of "That's the last straw, I'm outta here" comments sweep :naughty:
Can only agree except for the "Announce a few crackdowns". I'm loosing count of the existing laws that they have now decided to uphold. The BIB are spending all of their time compiling to do lists :D
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
SaintLouie1981
Amateur
Amateur

Post by SaintLouie1981 »

LMAO if the Junta actually pulls this off they are going to have a lot more "free haircuts and concert" days in Thailand to keep the happiness of the people!

I walked to the beach with my gf (Thai) the last week or so and when we got there we saw all the food vendors packing up and leaving, there was hardly anyone on the beach (which I don't mind) and the Thais who were there looked pissed and depressed (understandably).

The best thing was the next day, my gf was reading the Thai news online and there was an article about the cleanup in HH. Apparently all those folks who got told to pack up their livings and gtfo were "HAPPY" because "the beach will be much cleaner now". It's almost comical. They didn't look very "happy" when I saw them. But I guess when they ask you if you're happy with a gun to your head you're inclined to say yes!

A military, especially this one, cannot run a country. Thailand is going down faster then a bar girl on a Saturday night. It's all good though, just waiting for the Thai baht to crash and I'll have some fun.

Very sad the state of Thailand now and it most certainly will NOT get better anytime soon!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

just waiting for the Thai baht to crash and I'll have some fun.
That's the irony. The THB is the strongest it's been for some time and getting stronger. It seems the world is embracing the 'reforms' and throwing money into the country!
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

Up Next: The law that prohibits prostitution will be enforced.

Prostitutes will be taken into police custory for identification and sent to re-education camps.

Consequence: Families and babies of prostitutes will be left starving in Isaan.
A friend is only one click away
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Lung Per wrote:Up Next: The law that prohibits prostitution will be enforced.

Prostitutes will be taken into police custory for identification and sent to re-education camps.

Consequence: Families and babies of prostitutes will be left starving in Isaan.
:agree: and I really can't find out what they try to accomplich with it

:cheers: :cheers:
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

For clarification sake, there was little new in the announcement made in CM. The laws concerning alcohol have been in place since 2008 (Alcoholic Beverage Control Act, BE 2551 (2008))
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Alcoholic ... 551_(2008)
But like so many laws in Thailand, enforcement has always been the problem and I believe will continue to be the case.

Under the 2008 act, the Bangkok the Bangkok or Provincial commissions can exercise their authority as they see fit and independently and hence the Chang Mai independent statement

Amongst other things, they have the authority to;

Determine the criteria, procedure and conditions governing the packages, labels and warning information of alcoholic beverages, whether domestically manufactured or imported

To render to the Minister the opinions as to the determination of a period of time during which alcoholic beverages may be sold. Hence the 12:00 midnight statement

To lay down the criteria, procedure and conditions concerning the treatment or rehabilitation of alcoholics

Also under the law provided by the 2008 Act:
No person may sell an alcoholic beverage to the following:
1. A person under twenty years of age
2. A person being in a state of drunkenness to the extent incapable of maintaining his own consciousness.

No person may sell an alcoholic beverage by the following means or in the following manners:
1. Using an automatic vending machine;
2. Peddling
3. Providing discounts for sale promotion purposes "Happy Hours"

Alcohol advertising in Thailand is also regulated by the same act.
Alcoholic beverages may not be advertised in a manner which directly or indirectly claims benefits or promotes its consumption, and may not show the product or its packaging.

All advertisements must also be accompanied by one out of five predefined warning messages, lasting at least two seconds for video advertisements and occupying at least 25 percent of the advertisement area for print media.

In short…..nothing new except that the law is apperently going to applied in CM. Other provinces may or may not follow. :cheers: