Thailand PM bemoans 'divisive' soap operas

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Big Boy

Thailand PM bemoans 'divisive' soap operas

Post by Big Boy »

New prime minister slams TV soaps and threatens he will write them himself if their scripts do not improve.

Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha has criticised television soap operas for promoting violence and divisions in society, and says he will write them himself if he has to.

Prayuth, who is also army chief, staged a coup on May 22, overthrowing an elected government after six months of at times violent anti-government protests.

"I have ordered that scripts be written, including plays on reconciliation, on tourism and on Thai culture", he told reporters on Friday.

"They are writing plots at the moment and if they can't finish it I will write it myself", he said of a team of government-appointed writers.

Full story: Aljazeera

Thoughts: This will be something for me Mrs BB to look forward to.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Re: Thailand PM bemoans 'divisive' soap operas

Post by Spitfire »

Well, he's right about that.....these soaps are a load of poorly produced, sterotype reinforcing superficial dross. Definitely, imo, the source of much subtle scary psychological conditioning in the average local. They [soaps here] are so bad and predictable that you can guess when the servant will overhear the conversation of the controversial family member from behind an open to when everyone gives eachother the evil eye in front of the boss etc etc etc....OMG! Hang me now and put me out of this mortal coil!

However, if they were written by an aging general, then it would like looking back into the Thai 60s......not sure what would be more scary.

He'd be better off just cracking down on the amount of crap that the TV channels vomit up......but then the world really would end for the greater majority. :roll:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Re: Thailand PM bemoans 'divisive' soap operas

Post by MrPlum »

I like this man. Where has he been hiding? :thumb: