Pay 1% more in VAT, PM asks Thais

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Pay 1% more in VAT, PM asks Thais

Post by Bristolian »

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politic ... asks-thais

PRACHIN BURI - Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has asked Thais to sacrifice by paying 1% more in value-added tax (VAT) to reap 100 billion baht for the state coffers.

The prime minister made the plea Thursday before a gathering of residents who welcomed him at Prachin Ratsadornamrung School in this province east of Bangkok.

He pointed to what he insisted is the "need" to raise VAT from 7%, though the finance minister assured locals a VAT rise would not come while this government is in office.

Gen Prayut argued the VAT rate has been kept at 7% for many years and only a 1% increase could generate more than 100 billion baht in additional tax revenues.

"Let me ask for this sacrifice. Can I? If this can happen, the state budget will increase and it can then be used to fund what members of the public are calling for," he said.

"The prices of [consumer] products should never be marked up too much [as a result of the VAT hike]. And I insist the government isn't broke ... the volume of loans sought are within the limit and public debts have even decreased," he said.

"People must learn to sacrifice", said chief government spokesman Lt Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd. He warned the media against juxtaposing the prime minister's request for 100 billion baht via VAT with any suggestion the nation is broke.

The prime minister said he will press ahead with investment projects expected to yield good returns and lead to better revenue from next year onward, including high-speed train projects and double-track rail projects.

The prime minister, however, admitted the government might not be able to speed up the implementation of several of its projects due to some legal limits.

And despite reiterating the government was not running out of money and attempting to find more by forcing taxpayers to pay more, Gen Prayut said higher expenditure on various items loom.

If income does not increase to compensate, the country will go bankrupt. The taxation system was in critical need of an overhaul, he said.

Finance Minister Apisak Tantivorawong said the government plans to keep VAT unchanged at 7% for another year when the previous extension of the last period for keeping VAT at 7% ends on Sept 30.

VAT would not increase during the term of this government, he added.

.......................................................................................
Thought: If you need 100 Billion Baht don't increase VAT, cancel 36 Billion Submarine purchase, cancel the ill fated High speed train projects, stop paying those high raking officials that have been moved to inactive posts. Stop high level corruption. You might even be able to reduce VAT.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
PeteC

Re: Pay 1% more in VAT, PM asks Thais

Post by PeteC »

They've backed down already. See Khaosod this afternoon: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/ ... fake-news/

Blaming the media for fake news. :roll: Cancel the useless subs then books will be better balanced. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

It's a bit like living in Trump land, the media diligently reports the words of the junta and then gets blamed for spreading fake news when people take them at face value instead of realizing that he was only speaking his thoughts. What does that imply about what he might have said if it wasn't what he was thinking?
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

The Intercontinental already charges 7.7% VAT, I wonder if they pocket the 0.7%
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Guess they won't need the increase if the cancel the sub orders.........
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Arithmetic: VAT would be 7.07% after a 1% increase because .01 x 7 = .07
Politician arithmetic: VAT would be 8% after a 1% increase because it's too obvious to explain.
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Gee Whiz, cancel the "awesome" Sub order, scrap the Aircraft Carrier, retire the Blimp, Sell the two recently purchased Russian airliners (purchased to fly the generals around) plus the luxury executive jet for PM. I think those moves would not be noticed by anyone (but the elite) and give the government more to spend on productive projects for the real people.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

StevePIraq wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:36 pm The Intercontinental already charges 7.7% VAT, I wonder if they pocket the 0.7%
They charge 7% VAT and 10% service charge on top of the total bill, including the VAT, which is distributed to the staff.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Intercontinental charge 7.7% VAT on rooms

TAXES AND SERVICE CHARGES:
Service Charge: 10% per night not included in rate effective 15 March, 2017 thru 16 March, 2017

Tax: 7.7% per night not included in rate effective 15 March, 2017 thru 16 March, 2017
3 PERSON(S) PER ROOM MAXIMUM
https://www.ihg.com/intercontinental/ho ... ratestitle
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ The 7.7% might not be all VAT, seeing as how VAT is 7%. I think that there might be an element of provincial hotel tax included, in this case 0.7%. Maybe someone can confirm this.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

But that's not what the web site says and other hotels do not charge 7.7 or 7 plus local tax

As nothing is finalized we are all just guessing what may or may not eventuate. If staying at IC I would suggest questioning the VAT charged.
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

A little off topic,but i honestly do not believe that the people who are making reservations in the Intercontinental or other supposed 5* hotels in Thailand are actually concerned about this.The majority of people who book, i assume are regular customers of the IHG and therefore are fully aware of the prices which are similar throughout Asia.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Really, do you look at the VAT rate when you pay for something, I certainly do not as I expect the country standard to apply. And why would they be regular customers, IC just like most hotels are on all of the accommodation search sites.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

7.7 has to be a misprint (typo). VAT is 7% and no business can charge more. I'm sure a concern like the Intercontinental would abide by the regulation.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

IC show 7.7% on their own web site and also many booking web sites, it cannot be a mistake. Same as their incorrect advertising for promotions.