Thailand's dark side: why you really shouldn't visit Koh Tao

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Re: Thailand's dark side: why you really shouldn't visit Koh Tao

Post by europtimiste »

Ridiculous statistics: must count natural death of elderly expats, suicides, accidents and violent death due to murder or fights separately.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

StevePIraq wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:05 pm Because the FCO does not report that way
But that takes away the truth of the stats. You could say there were 5 deaths in Vatican City which would seem almost irrelevant but in fact it would make it a dangerous place.
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

and before we all get ushered back on topic;
Europtimiste,173 in switzerland,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,all cable car deaths,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or all cases solved by the local Gnomes?
Look forward to your insight as always!!!!
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Thistle wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:08 pm and before we all get ushered back on topic;
Europtimiste,173 in switzerland,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,all cable car deaths,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or all cases solved by the local Gnomes?
Look forward to your insight as always!!!!
In every country with best investigation materials and experimented detectives there are unsolved crimes. And worst country on this world is USA.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

europtimiste wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:07 pm A German ? I only heard about a Russian woman who disappeared and a French woman they found dead in the jungle.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-new ... h-12883192

I appreciate it's difficult to keep track. Then there was the Frenchman who was found hanged with his hands tied behind his back - that was declared a suicide.

Edit - there's a list of some of the dead at the end of the article.
Last edited by caller on Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Talk is cheap
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

HHTel wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:31 pm Brits make up the biggest group to visit the island. However, deaths include Belgian, German, Russian and French as well as Brits.
Incidentally, 6 in every 100,000 British visitors to Thailand die as opposed to 4 in every million who visit Spain!
6 in every 100,000 British visitors to Thailand die

Love to play with numbers....Since the average British tourist only stays about 20 days, the 6 should be multiplied with around 18 (to make it a full year) = 108 per 100.000/year.....Which equals a death rate of 1.08 (death rate are deaths per 1000 population)
The official death rate in the UK 2016 was 9.1 (to my surprise above the world average)
So based only on statistics it is about 9 times more dangerous to stay in the UK, than it is to travel to Thailand...Koh Tao included.... :roll: :roll:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:shock:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

caller wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:09 pm
europtimiste wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:07 pm

Then there was the Frenchman who was found hanged with his hands tied behind his back - that was declared a suicide.

I remember having read about suicide by hanging with hands tied behind back is possible.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

europtimiste wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:43 pm
And worst country on this world is USA.
Why?
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

HHTel wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:31 pm Brits make up the biggest group to visit the island. However, deaths include Belgian, German, Russian and French as well as Brits.
Incidentally, 6 in every 100,000 British visitors to Thailand die as opposed to 4 in every million who visit Spain!
Nonsense...!!
Since 856 Brits died in Spain and since only 4 in every million visiting Spain dies.....Then 216 million Brits must have visited Espana..... :shock:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Lies, damned lies and statistics. I'm fast coming to the conclusion that Koh Tao must be the safest place in the world to visit :?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Nonsense...!!
That describes most of this thread.
This is the way
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

Not having a go at you....but where are you getting your numbers from? The dartboard ?
According to the list posted by StevePIrag from the FCO 362 Brits died in Thailand...And since almost exactly 1 million Brits visit Thailand yearly...then of course the correct number per 100.000 is 36 and NOT 6....!!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Not sure if this covers all recent murders, but this was listed in the Sun today.

Nick Pearson, 25, was found floating in an island bay, at the foot of a 50ft drop on New Year’s Day 2014.Despite claims of a fall, he had no broken bones. While police ruled out foul play, Nick's family, who say officers did not investigate a single witness, believe he was murdered.

Hannah Witheridge, 23, from Norfolk and David Miller, 24, of Jersey were bludgeoned to death with a wooden hoe as they walked back to their hotel room late at night.Hannah was also raped in the attack in September 2014.

Frenchman Dimitri Povse, 29, was found hanged in a bungalow on the island on New Year's Day 2015.His death was ruled as suicide but police could not explain why his hands were tied behind his back.

Later that month, graduate Christina Annesley, 23, was said to have died of natural causes after mixing antibiotics she was taking for a chest infection with alcohol. However, no toxicology report was conducted.

In March 2015 Russian tourist Valentina Novozhyonova, 23, vanished from her hostel on Koh Tao in mid-February - sparking a police search.She had checked into the hostel on February 11 and was due to check out on February 16 – but failed to do so.A few days later, staff checked her room to discover her mobile phone, passport and camera had all been left behind.

Bricklayer Luke Miller was found at the bottom of a swimming pool at the Sunset Bar at Sairee Beach in January 2016.His family accused the Thai police of a cover-up.
Belgian backpacker Elise Dallemagne, 30, was found hanged in the hills on the island on April 28, 2017.

German Bernd Grotsch, 47, was found dead at his home deep in the jungle in the Mae Haad part of Koh Tao.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Not having a go at you....but where are you getting your numbers from? The dartboard ?
According to the list posted by StevePIrag from the FCO 362 Brits died in Thailand...And since almost exactly 1 million Brits visit Thailand yearly...then of course the correct number per 100.000 is 36 and NOT 6....!!
Similarly, Thailand's 25 deaths mean a death rate of around six young people per 100,000 when compared to the 411,000 Brits who usually go each year.
On the other hand, Spain drops down the danger table once its much bigger visitor numbers - nearly 13 million - are taken into account.
With less than four young people dead per million Brits arriving in the country annually, the country actually seems to be one of the safer places to holiday.
Apologies for a 'Sun' source which I'm sure people will be quick to respond that it can't be believed.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5908851/m ... and-spain/

I knew I should have kept quiet. Sometimes I ignore my own good judgement.