Thailand's dark side: why you really shouldn't visit Koh Tao

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Thailand's dark side: why you really shouldn't visit Koh Tao

Post by oakdale160 »

A friend of mine has a son, he and his GF on a SE Asia tour are planning a visit to the island. I sent info about recent events but they are still going to go--"We intend to be careful" is their response. IF the British Embassy issued just a mildly worded caution it might help, but alas they don't want to offend!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

They are still kids - they believe they have invented travel and fun. The last thing they will take notice of is an old fart telling them to be careful.

My son is 27, and is generally very sensible. Over the last 6 years, we've had many of his UK mates pass through, either on their way to the islands or on the way home afterwards. Those that haven't been yet basically look at me and suggest it might be dangerous for an old fart like me, but they know what they're doing. Those on the way home will only tell of the great time they've had.

Yes, it happens, but only to a very, very small percentage.

We've also had quite a few old farts pass through on their way to a Full Moon Party + other islands. They've had a great time also.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Don't you two know that kids know everything, and are always correct? It's as old farts we forget and spout nonsense
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

She said that a Thai male was standing over her, smiled and walked away. If she was unconscious how would she know who committed the alleged crime. She also stated that the Thai male stole her phone and wallet. Again, how does she know it was the person who smiled at her and walked away? I'm not refuting her claim of rape just questioning her connections of the incidents and that particular Thai male.
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Post by T.O.M. »

handdrummer wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:58 am She said that a Thai male was standing over her, smiled and walked away. If she was unconscious how would she know who committed the alleged crime. She also stated that the Thai male stole her phone and wallet. Again, how does she know it was the person who smiled at her and walked away? I'm not refuting her claim of rape just questioning her connections of the incidents and that particular Thai male.
Spot on....!!
Maybe...just maybe...the rapist and the thief was not the same person?
I honestly believe that the girl was raped, but not so sure about the rest of her story......The lack of reaction from her 4 male British room mates....both on Koh Tao and afterwards in the press....Something is not right.
How convenient that her male British drinking partner also had his drink spiked...so he didn't notice that the girl was abducted right under his nose. And the "fact" that his drink was also spiked only surfaces more than 2 months later.
Someone is covering up to protect a mate?
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

And the comments and suppositions goes on.
This island is visited yearly by 10 thousands ( I don't have the real numbers) tourists from all over the world.
And how many are killed, disappeared or raped ???? And why most of them are Brits ?????
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

europtimiste wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:39 pmAnd why most of them are Brits ?????
Are they? Off the top of my head I can think of German - that was recent - and a Frenchman. Do you have anything to back that claim up?

As for the girls story. She said she woke up, having been, she believes, drugged and raped and she believes the male who was smiling at her was the thief. Some of you seem to expect her to be in a rational, cohesive state after the alleged attack. I can understand it if she isn't.

I think some of you are trying to read too much into this report. She met a reporter. She told her story, you're asking questions about the 'other' British males, if there were any, apart from the one mentioned. The paper will print, bearing in mind space and time constraints, what they believe is the 'best' of what she had to say. There might be much that the reporter or editors have omitted.

And in the UK, if she has met the Police and made a report, that will not be published, it's as simple as that.
Talk is cheap
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

oakdale160 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:12 am IF the British Embassy issued just a mildly worded caution it might help, but alas they don't want to offend!!
They have issued warnings - and they specifically mention Koh Tao, drink spiking and rape. I got an email 2 days ago from gov.uk with updated 'Safety and Security' advice. Here's an extract from that section.
Drink spiking has been reported in tourist destinations around Thailand, with both male and female victims. Be careful about taking drinks from strangers and at clubs and parties, or leaving your drinks unattended, particularly in Koh Tao, Koh Samui, Pattaya and at the Full Moon party on Koh Phangan, where date rapes have been reported.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

A German ? I only heard about a Russian woman who disappeared and a French woman they found dead in the jungle.
About this case: If she has seen the Thai male smiling and stealing her phone and money, she can recognize him and a robot portrait could be done. Of course if she had gone to Koh Tao police, if somebody could draw a portrait. I don't think that they have the computer for this purpose.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Been there a number of times, loved it each time, never a problem.

How many get raped and killed all over the world, a bit excessive to single this place out
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Brits make up the biggest group to visit the island. However, deaths include Belgian, German, Russian and French as well as Brits.
Incidentally, 6 in every 100,000 British visitors to Thailand die as opposed to 4 in every million who visit Spain!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

But most fall of balconies in Pattaya
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

HHTel wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:31 pm Brits make up the biggest group to visit the island. However, deaths include Belgian, German, Russian and French as well as Brits.
Incidentally, 6 in every 100,000 British visitors to Thailand die as opposed to 4 in every million who visit Spain!
FCO states
And while Spain sees the highest number of deaths, when looked at proportionally it is the Philippines which is the deadliest country for British travelers.

THE TOP 20 COUNTRIES FOR TRAVELLER DEATHS
Spain - 856
USA - 125
Thailand - 362
France - 346
Greece - 160
United Arab Emirates - 75
Cyprus - 157
Australia - 72
India - 89
Germany - 146
Turkey - 75
China - 66
Philippines - 82
Pakistan - 21
Portugal - 131
Egypt - 49
Canada - 32
Switzerland - 173
Italy - 45
Jamaica - 23
Source: FCO
In 2013-2014, 856 of the 4,110 deaths of British citizens happened in Spain.
But proportionally, compared to the number who travel, British nationals are most likely to be die in the Philippines, which is due to the high number of elderly expats, with 82 cases during that period.
The second most common place to die after Spain is Thailand, which saw 362 deaths and France with 346, although both countries saw a reduction.
FCO does not report on causes of death.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

That list doesn't show the proportional deaths except to say that the Philippines is the worst.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Because the FCO does not report that way