Elections delayed again, and again, and again

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Elections delayed again, and again, and again

Post by handdrummer »

Deputy Pm, Wissanu. I always thought it was Pissanu.

Why do they keep talking about a return to democracy when there never was a democracy here? Maybe they think that voting constitutes democracy.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

The only solution is a counter-revolution.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Government admits election delay
The election date will likely be delayed from Feb 24 to avoid having poll-related activities overlapping with those of the coronation ceremony, Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam said Thursday.

In any case, the poll will be held no later than the May 9 deadline, he said ahead of a meeting with the Election Commission to discuss the election date.

Mr Wissanu refused to say whether the government had ordered the EC to delay the Feb 24 poll date. Reporters pressed him on this issue and he declined to answer.

Under the constitution, the general election must be held within 150 days of the constitution's organic law governing the election of MPs taking effect on Dec 11 last year, or by May 9.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politi ... tion-delay
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Post by buksida »

GOVT QUIETLY HALTS ELECTION PREPARATIONS NATIONWIDE
The interior affairs minister confirmed Tuesday a leaked memo instructing officials across the country to halt election preparations is genuine.

The leak sparked fresh outrage among opposition activists, some of whom are set to gather today to protest yet another delay to the poll, while the government and the Election Commission trade blame for not settling on an Election Day.

Speaking to reporters this morning, Gen. Anupong Paochinda said the memo was issued after the government failed to enact legislation that would have set Feb. 24 as the date.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/ ... ationwide/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

The opposition should welcome the change, it gives them more time to campaign, unless that has been set back too.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:05 pm The opposition should welcome the change, it gives them more time to campaign, unless that has been set back too.
Also for the dictator more time to campaign.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I think someone wants to be PM for the coronation. And possibly while Thailand is chair of ASEAN if it can be arranged. Who knows what other important events could occur to prevent an election this year? And why does it need to take 60 days to announce election results anyway?
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

And why does it need to take 60 days to announce election results anyway?

Depends on whose doing the counting and it takes time to destroy unwanted ballots.

According to the constitution, for what that's worth, the election must be held no later than May 9th. I don't know if the year has been stipulated.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Junta can explode a bomb, as already done. Good reason to delay again.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

The King decreed that the govt. has 5 days in which to announce a date for the election. The Govt. responded with the date of March. 24th. See, wasn't so hard was it? It just took the King to kick them in their lazy arses.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

So who will be the opposition? The Democrats? THe old Thaksin parties under a new disguise?
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

oakdale160 wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:29 pm So who will be the opposition? The Democrats? THe old Thaksin parties under a new disguise?
Opposition isn't allowed. Token resistence is.
Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

There are dozens of parties registered and they have 5 days from the time of the decree to pick 3 people from each party to stand for election and the party that wins the election chooses the PM from amongst the 3. Being an American, this makes no sense to me at all. How do the British run an election. At any rate I'll put my money on PC-O. Not because I like him but it seems a foregone conclusion. I'm sure we'll see some of the old war horses out for another trot. Ahbisit, et al.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I don't think that's true. The pm is chosen by both the senate and the house. The senate is wholly appointed by the NCPO including reserved seats for the military.
The next pm doesn't have to be a member of any party or indeed even be a politician.

Prayut is front runner to be chosen as the next pm!!

It doesn't matter how the public votes in the election. The government will still be controlled by the senate and the military. A democracy in name only.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Those of us ex-pats who regret the lack of parliamentary democracy in Thai are less able to comment as the chaos in London, Paris and Washinton rages on.