Elections delayed again, and again, and again

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Elections delayed again, PM denies involvement

Post by hhinner »

^^ Lack of hope.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Election-related bills 'still at risk of being axed'

The possibility of the two bills on the election of MPs and selection of senators being scrapped or sent for a Constitutional Court review, which would yet again push back an election, cannot be ruled out, political sources say.

The possibility was raised by Democrat Party deputy leader Nipit Intarasombat after the National Legislative Assembly (NLA), the Constitution Drafting Committee (CDC) and the Election Commission (EC) decided to sit down via a single panel and thrash out their differences over the bills after they were passed by the NLA.

The bills are crucial pieces of legislation needed to prepare the ground for the next election, the deadline of which has already been extended from November to February next year.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politi ... being-axed
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

They may as well discontinue this farce and admit there won't be any elections for the foreseeable future. Even if there is an election, as long as the Army holds the majority of seats, it won't matter who the PM is or what he wants to do. By the time the Junta finishes rewriting the constitution it will be bullet proof and unchangeable. Whatever statutes are in place at the finish will be there for a long time and the land of everything backwards will continue it's slide into the past.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

"Thai PM Now Says Election to Be Held No Later Than February 2019"

https://www.voanews.com/a/thai-prime-mi ... 72244.html
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
buksida

Post by buksida »

After protests, could Thailand’s election be delayed again?
AFTER pro-democracy protestors gathered in front of Army headquarters on Saturday, Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha has said if the “lack of order” continued, there was no guarantee that the national election would be held peacefully, raising concerns Thailand’s election could once again be delayed.

Activists gathered in front of the Royal Thai Army headquarters in Bangkok, calling for the army to cease supporting the military-led National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) and its role in politics.

The protesters also called on the military to return to its job of protecting the country, not administering it.

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2018/03/ ... Mp8e1ZQ.97
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Dick tater for life is probably a good job, you never have to worry about retirement, pensions, running out of money, campaigning for office. It leaves you all the time you need to do your job. Popularity isn't an issue. Of course you may get a sore neck from constantly looking over your shoulder and it can difficult finding a food taster but that's a small inconvenience. Anyway, we all love it here in the 19th. century and wouldn't want to change a thing.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Just noticed today Bangkok Post have taken the countdown off their front page. I think they started it with their tongue in their cheek anyway.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

And who knows-- as the Russians interfere with UK and US elections I am sure that the Chinese would feel obliged to interfere with Thai elections. But don't be totally negative, there may be elections sometime, just not in our lifetimes.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

We don't need no stinking elections!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

404cameljockey wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:35 am Just noticed today Bangkok Post have taken the countdown off their front page. I think they started it with their tongue in their cheek anyway.
They did that a while back and explained why. Expect it back at some stage.

They also revealed they had been under pressure from it's beginning to remove it.

As you would expect a not quite full dictatorship (yet) to do.
Talk is cheap
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:03 pm We don't need no stinking elections!
You really do. God only knows what the consequences will be if they are postponed indefinitely and the Country moves into full totalitarian mode.
Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

caller wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:48 pm
handdrummer wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:03 pm We don't need no stinking elections!
You really do. God only knows what the consequences will be if they are postponed indefinitely and the Country moves into full totalitarian mode.
Being that "they" can do anything they want now, I don't know how much different it would be. Maybe expelling all the foreigners is a possibility. That might get me a free ride home as a refugee.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

The military regime has achieved nothing, there has been no attempt at any reconciliation and they're every bit as corrupt as the people they replaced. At least the prior administration didn't treat people like children with hectoring broadcasts and nursery school songs.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

handdrummer wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:00 amBeing that "they" can do anything they want now, I don't know how much different it would be. Maybe expelling all the foreigners is a possibility. That might get me a free ride home as a refugee.
There is a consensus here that Thais are not interested whatever happens and will just go with the flow. Events over the last 50 years disprove that.

The reason the junta can't do everything they want now, is because there is opposition to them and there are limits to what is acceptable, both internally and to the international community. That is why the General is seeking to create some veneer of credibility to his staying in power to create the Thailand he and his supporters wants. It's doomed to failure, as history teaches us.

If he fails to get elected, he has two choices, to bugger off or seek to take over by force. As long as he has the support to do so?

I think there will be a reaction by Thai's whether he stays in power via elections or by force. And I don't think it will be pleasant.
Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

It worked for Mao, Stalin & Castro. Their particular regimes came to an end but have been revived by Putin, Xi and the ghost of Fidel is still lurking over Cuba. History may indeed bring an end to them but history can take a long time.

I agree about the younger Thais getting restless. My youngest daughter, 22, and I have discussions about the current situation and she talks with her like-minded friends. Whether or not talk becomes action is another story. One has to think twice when the govt. has all the arms and all you have is som tom.

The international community, UN, etc. will, as usual, only wave their panties in protest. I wouldn't count on outside help.

The usual wait and see attitude will prevail and I know I won't see meaningful change in my lifetime, maybe in my daughters.