Pigeon Pie anyone? Lop Buri hosts cook-off of culled birds

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Pigeon Pie anyone? Lop Buri hosts cook-off of culled birds

Post by Nereus »

Pigeon pie anyone? Lop Buri hosts cook-off of culled birds

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... recent_box

LOPBURI: A district chief has clipped the wings of his town's pigeon population by paying residents to trap the birds and organising a cook-off to build support for the cull.

The campaign to go after hundreds of thousands of pigeons started earlier this week in a district of Lop Buri province — a region better known for its monkey menace.

"The number of pigeons increases four to five times each year, if we don't do anything the problem will get worse," said Plaek Thepparak, the highest government official in Muang district, who came up with the idea.

The birds were a nuisance and defecated on government offices, historical sites, temples and houses while ravaging local crops, he added.

"Before people can drink rainwater but now they have to buy drinking water because rainwater is dirty from bird droppings," he said.

Residents will get 10 baht per trapped birds, which will be transferred to a quarantine centre in a nearby province.
But cooking them up is also on the menu.

"We also urged residents to eat the dead pigeons but only if they are hygienic and cook them well," Mr Plaek said, adding the town hosted a "pigeon menu" cooking competition earlier this week with cash prizes.

The dishes whipped up included a simple fried pigeon, knocked back with a side of Thailand's classic papaya salad.

Two hours north of the capital Bangkok, Lop Buri is on the tourist circuit and is better known as a haven for monkeys, but even they are being outnumbered by the birds.

"There are about 3,000 monkeys but there are hundreds of thousands of pigeons," Mr Plaek said.
.......................................................................................................................
Good for him! The mongrol things drive me insane at my Condo in Bangkok.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Pigeon Pie anyone?

Post by hhinner »

Good job Thailand isn't a Buddhist country or they couldn't do this.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I'm at constant war with the rats of the air at my place in Rayong. The population grows and grows and indeed they foul your property and ruin the paint on your house. I've been successful with bird spikes, reflective wind activated tape, and moth balls placed strategically under air conditioners and such, but they come back again and again. They are attracted by the water in our pool, especially in the dry season.

The restaurants should get on the band wagon and start to order them from the catchers as the Chinese love to eat them. With all the Chinese tourists coming here there will be a big dent in the pigeon population if they start to show up on menus. :guns: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

PeteC wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 4:47 pm The restaurants should get on the band wagon and start to order them from the catchers as the Chinese love to eat them. With all the Chinese tourists coming here there will be a big dent in the pigeon population if they start to show up on menus. :guns: Pete :cheers:
I don't know about the Chinese, but Mrs BB used to eat a lot of them in the UK. We had a friend who used to hunt them.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I remember growing up in the north of England and pigeon was a regular meal on the table.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

I'm puzzled as to why Thais don't eat pigeons. They eat what I consider the strangest food in some areas: rats, insects, snakes, etc., but haven't caught on to fried pigeon.

They're also pretty easy to catch compared to other Thai 'delicacies'. I accidently caught one just outside the house when it decided to have a dog biscuit lunch. The bowl flipped over and trapped the stupid thing. I heard a weird noise outside and was greeted by a plastic bowl spinning around at great speed.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
daio
Amateur
Amateur

Post by daio »

I remember when I was a kid my mother plucking pigeon pheasant skinning rabbit.cheap meat.beef and lamb was a treat.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Vital Spark wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 7:55 pm I'm puzzled as to why Thais don't eat pigeons. They eat what I consider the strangest food in some areas: rats, insects, snakes, etc., but haven't caught on to fried pigeon.

They're also pretty easy to catch compared to other Thai 'delicacies'. I accidently caught one just outside the house when it decided to have a dog biscuit lunch. The bowl flipped over and trapped the stupid thing. I heard a weird noise outside and was greeted by a plastic bowl spinning around at great speed. VS
You sure it wasn't Verstappen in there? :shock: :laugh:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

It was grey. Hamilton on a bad day. lol ;)
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I love to eat pigeon, but not the scrawny, ferel version. A good wood pigeon, yes.
Talk is cheap
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Can the scrawny feral ones be fattened up with a bit of corn? I just think that the Thais are missing a trick here when it comes to getting rid of a nuisance, and at the same time having some meat to eat with their rice. It must surely be better for them than the artificially fattened chickens that are available at the local markets. I've noticed over the past few years that the chicken breasts we buy from Makro are changing. They're too plump and the meat just doesn't seem right. Goodness knows what the chickens have been fed and how many antibiotics have been injected into the birds. At least if you're feeding the birds, i.e. pigeons, yourself you have some kind of control over what they ingest.

VS
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Vital Spark wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 12:43 am Can the scrawny feral ones be fattened up with a bit of corn? I just think that the Thais are missing a trick here when it comes to getting rid of a nuisance, and at the same time having some meat to eat with their rice. It must surely be better for them than the artificially fattened chickens that are available at the local markets. I've noticed over the past few years that the chicken breasts we buy from Makro are changing. They're too plump and the meat just doesn't seem right. Goodness knows what the chickens have been fed and how many antibiotics have been injected into the birds. At least if you're feeding the birds, i.e. pigeons, yourself you have some kind of control over what they ingest.

VS

http://www.cpgroupglobal.com/News/nDetail/articleid/7
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact