Hotel key card leads to identity of foreigner washed up on Hua Hin beach

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

Hotel key card leads to identity of foreigner washed up on Hua Hin beach

Post by buksida »

Police and medics were called to the area of Hua Hin beach near Soi 35 when a young foreigner was found washed up on the sands.

The heavily tattooed man had been dead about two days and was clothed. There were no injuries on the body though Thai Rath reported there was a little blood emanating from the mouth.

The body was taken for autopsy.

There was a hotel key card on the body that led police to where he was staying and his identity.

He was 22 year old Portuguese national David Julian Carlos who had told hotel staff on Monday that he was going out swimming.

Police said it looks like he went out swimming alone and possibly suffered cramp or a seizure.

Source: https://www.thairath.co.th/content/1276247
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Hotel key card leads to identity of foreigner washed up on Hua Hin beach

Post by hhinner »

Do Portuguese go swimming clothed?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Police said it looks like he went out swimming alone and possibly suffered cramp or a seizure.
The assumption of the authorities (police) never cease to amaze me. It's reported that the guy was clothed and without any forethought the police assume he went swimming and got cramp!!
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I'm sure the Thairath journalists would have queried this immediately. :twisted:

Actually very sad that a country which likes to promote itself as a world-class tourist destination actually doesn't give a damn about tourists other than when they are put under the spotlight.

A shark nibbles on some guy's foot; Bangkok Hospital give him a few stitches and whack him with a 300,000 baht bill, and then it becomes a publicity stunt when the authorities are seen to be trying to help with the bill. On the other hand, a fully clothed body washes up on a beach, and its immediately blamed on a cramp or seizure while swimming - case closed. The bigger concern here is, did he settle his hotel bill before he died. :(

Sad but true. Nonetheless, I still love living here, but I understand the reality.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Congratulations to all those Sherlock Holmes, thanks to your bla...bla.., you will solve the mystery.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

They will not ket the facts interfere with their theory. Classic statement was when the guy on the islands was found hanging with his hands tied behind his back--Police conclusion--Suicide. When the police chief was challenged--It is impossible to hang yourself with your hands tied behind your back--his reply--We thought that, but this case proves that it is possible.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

europtimiste wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 4:54 pm Congratulations to all those Sherlock Holmes, thanks to your bla...bla.., you will solve the mystery.

Did you even bother read the article or have someone read it for you? There is and was never any mystery, so I have no idea what you are talking about. We already know what happened. A Portuguese tourist went swimming fully clothed; he had a seizure or a cramp, and he died.

Yes yes, I know they would probably want to do an investigation if it had happened in Europe, but that is largely due to the fact that European investigators are poorly trained. In contrast, Thai investigators receive vigorous training and are generally of a much higher standard, often able to crack a case within minutes. :bow:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Takiap wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 9:45 am
europtimiste wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 4:54 pm Congratulations to all those Sherlock Holmes, thanks to your bla...bla.., you will solve the mystery.

Did you even bother read the article or have someone read it for you? There is and was never any mystery, so I have no idea what you are talking about. We already know what happened. A Portuguese tourist went swimming fully clothed; he had a seizure or a cramp, and he died.

We only have this information, nothing else. Was he drunk ? At what time did he left hotel for swimming ???

europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

hhinner wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 1:46 pm Do Portuguese go swimming clothed?
Apart your ironic remark, why not ? Maybe the choice was swimming with clothes or naked.
Go to the beach and you will see Thai people swimming with clothes.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

europtimiste wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:04 am Maybe the choice was swimming with clothes or naked.
do you have some kind of compulsion, that no matter how justified a negative comment about Thailand is, that you HAVE to jump straight in and try to defend it ? it seems every other thread I open is you trying (usually unsuccessfully) to defend the indefensible.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

MDMK wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 12:00 pm
europtimiste wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:04 am Maybe the choice was swimming with clothes or naked.
do you have some kind of compulsion, that no matter how justified a negative comment about Thailand is, that you HAVE to jump straight in and try to defend it ? it seems every other thread I open is you trying (usually unsuccessfully) to defend the indefensible.
What is this nonsense comment MDMK ?, my comments are not for simple minds.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: Hotel key card leads to identity of foreigner washed up on Hua Hin beach

Post by hhinner »

europtimiste wrote:
hhinner wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 1:46 pm Do Portuguese go swimming clothed?
Apart your ironic remark, why not ? Maybe the choice was swimming with clothes or naked.
How is it ironic? I know Thais go swimming clothed, but it seemed strange to me that a European would. However, I've never been to the beach in Portugal where for all I know it could be quite normal.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Perhaps he was fully clothed for Possible jellyfish protection......That didn’t work!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

People in Portugal swim in swimming costumes, not their everyday clothes. Perhaps he was testing the clothes to see if they were non-shrinkable. That would fit Europessimists theories.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

handdrummer wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 5:06 pm People in Portugal swim in swimming costumes, not their everyday clothes. Perhaps he was testing the clothes to see if they were non-shrinkable. That would fit Europessimists theories.
Before writing your stupid comment, read my previous comments: maybe he had no swimming costume, maybe he was drunk. At what time did he left hotel for going swimming ? Good luck Sherlock Holmes.