Yingluck gets 10-year visa from UK

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Yingluck gets 10-year visa from UK

Post by StevePIraq »

Now that the Junta knows she has a visa for the UK, if she actually does, they can now formally start the process for extraditing her. Although I doubt that would get very far in the UK.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

StevePIraq wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:42 pm Now that the Junta knows she has a visa for the UK, if she actually does, they can now formally start the process for extraditing her. Although I doubt that would get very far in the UK.
They wouldn't have much of a chance, it would get a political offence exception.

"Ingrained in most international extradition laws is the "political offence" exception. It allows the requested state to refuse extradition of those accused of political crimes or where that state believes the real motivation for the request is political rather than criminal.
The first British Extradition Act of 1870 declared that no-one could be surrendered if their offence was one of a political character."
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

StevePIraq wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:42 pm Now that the Junta knows she has a visa for the UK, if she actually does, they can now formally start the process for extraditing her. Although I doubt that would get very far in the UK.
You mean using the same process and effort as for the red bull son ? Or will they put more effort into this one ?
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

STEVE G wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:56 pm
They wouldn't have much of a chance, it would get a political offence exception.

"Ingrained in most international extradition laws is the "political offence" exception. It allows the requested state to refuse extradition of those accused of political crimes or where that state believes the real motivation for the request is political rather than criminal.
The first British Extradition Act of 1870 declared that no-one could be surrendered if their offence was one of a political character."
That's why I said it would not get very far.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I doubt they want her back anytime soon with an election so close. Maybe.
buksida

Post by buksida »

BBC says Thailand asks UK to extradite Yingluck
The Thai Embassy in London has submitted a request to the Foreign and Common Weath Office of the British government for the extradition of fugitive former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra to serve her five-year jail term handed down by the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Persons Holding Political Positions in connection with her government’s rice-pledging scheme, BBC Thai-language website reported today.

The letter of request, dated July 5, 2018, cited the treaty between the United Kingdom and Siam on the extradition of fugitive criminals, signed in Bangkok on March 4, 1911.

The letter said Ms Yingluck is a person wanted by Thai authorities to serve a five-year jail term handed down on her by the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Persons Holding Political Positions which found her guilty of violating Section 157 of the Criminal Code and Section 123/1 of the Corruption Prevention and Suppression Act of B.E. 2442 (1999).

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bbc-sa ... -yingluck/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Well Interpol wouldn't play ball so they're trying the direct approach.

Good Luck on that one!! Some people have time to waste.

Now Prayut can tell 'his' people that he's doing his best.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

If the government accept the request and Yingluk disagrees with the request (which if push comes to shove she will) then it has to go to an extradition hearing. The bones of which are:
The judge must be satisfied that the conduct described in the warrant amounts to an extradition offence (including, in almost all cases, the requirement that the conduct would amount to a criminal offence were it to have occurred in the UK, and minimum levels of severity of punishment)
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I love it that government projects are called "schemes."
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Is she actually in the UK?
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

caller wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:39 pm Is she actually in the UK?
An extract taken from todays Bangkok Post -

“On Saturday, Yingluck was seen in a video clip posted on Instagram in which she said that she is now living in Covent Garden in London's West End.”
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:48 pm
caller wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:39 pm Is she actually in the UK?
An extract taken from todays Bangkok Post -

“On Saturday, Yingluck was seen in a video clip posted on Instagram in which she said that she is now living in Covent Garden in London's West End.”
Hmmm. As far as I am aware, The UK has never confirmed she has received a visa and it was only sources close to Yingluck that have stated that. And if she does have such a visa, then it means she can only stay for 6-months at a time.
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The foreign office will neither confirm or deny the issuance of a visa as is their policy. The 'rumour' came from the BBC quoting sources close to Thaksin who also stated that she had been offered passports from multiple countries.
The rumour did develop to include Thaksin as having a visa.
And you're quite correct Caller in that if she has a visa she can only stay for 6 months and must return to the UK not more than 6 months after leaving.
I think the only way we'll know for sure will be a pic of her holding up her visa.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

HHTel wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:43 pm ... if she has a visa she can only stay for 6 months and must return to the UK not more than 6 months after leaving.
Not more than or not less than?
This is the way
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

My feelings on this are that she clearly has passport(s) to enable her to travel and presumably has some sort of UK visa. Why would she openly advertise her whereabouts on Instagram other than to create news in Thailand, making the junta look stupid in the process but potentially putting herself at risk, unless she knows she clearly isn't, which is a safe bet in the UK. But I wouldn't be surprised if her next post is from somewhere other than the UK.
Talk is cheap