Junta to spend billions on satellites, accused of building spy network

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

Junta to spend billions on satellites, accused of building spy network

Post by buksida »

In a presentation that would put a glimmer in the eye of any James Bond villain, officials spell out the capabilities of a future satellite system to blanket the entire planet in unceasing surveillance.

The network of 112 satellites, called the Theia Satellite Network, are said to bear high-tech cameras with radar and infrared optics that see through clouds, darkness, foliage and even the surface of the earth. A massive 1.47 petabytes of information will be sent back to earth on a daily basis. The slideshow ends with a bold – and ominous – declaration.

“Starting June 30, 2023, Theia will start photographing the entire globe at a resolution of 1/2 meter per shot per second, both day and night, from now until forever,” it said.

It could be a real deal or a fancy scam, but according to leaked documents obtained by Khaosod English, Thai authorities have already take steps to sign on to the Theia project, which will reportedly cost the kingdom at least 63 billion baht. A transparency activist slammed the deal and accused the government of acquiring the satellites for a gigantic snooping effort – an allegation denied by a top official.

“It’s basically spy satellites,” Srisuwan Janya said an interview.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/ ... n-company/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Junta to spend billions on satellites, accused of building spy network

Post by hhinner »

Should be able to help find their submarine when they lose it.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Well they keep losing prime ministers and high so criminals!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I spy with my little eye.................everything!
buksida

Post by buksida »

SATELLITE DEAL WHISTLEBLOWER THREATENED WITH LAWSUIT
A top junta figure is mulling legal action against a transparency activist who accused the government of illegally planning to acquire an expensive satellite network to spy on its citizens.

Through a spokesman, Gen. Prajin Juntong, who serves as deputy prime minister, slammed the allegations as baseless and said he had ordered lawyers to prepare a case against Srisuwan Janya, though he did not specify what charges would be brought.

“It damaged the deputy prime minister and confused the public,” spokesman Monthol Satchukorn said.

Srisuwan, who first raised alarms about the multi-billion baht project earlier this week, said he wasn’t aware of the threat and insisted he has evidence to prove his claims.

“I’ll contest the charge with information that I received from the authorities,” he said, referring to internal documents reportedly leaked to him by a government whistleblower.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/ ... h-lawsuit/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson