First execution for 9 years in Thailand

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: First execution for 9 years in Thailand

Post by HHTel »

hhinner wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:50 pm In thailand it's just so easy to believe this could happen. But this new witness didn't come forward because he thought the convicted wouldn't be executed? But it was ok for him to rot in jail for years?
I agree with that. The problem here is that with the police force we have, people are reluctant to come forward in case for some reason or other they are put in the frame.

However, he should have done the right thing.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Well he's in the frame now. Could well end up being the accomplice they're looking for
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I have very mixed feelings regarding the death penalty. To begin with, it really is nothing other than state sponsored revenge. I don't really see it as a punishment at all. The time spent in prison before the sentence is carried out is punishment. When the sentence is carried out, it effectively ends the punishment.

If some animal raped and murdered one of my kids, my first reaction would be that I would like perpetrator to be executed, and yes, I would lose no sleep from watching the sentence being carried out, providing there REALLY was zero doubt at all.

However, once my emotions settled a bit, then my view would change, and I would rather want to see the perpetrator spending the remainder of their life behind bars.

In general, I believe that if there is a need for a drawn out trial, then there will always be some degree of doubt, in which case there should be no death penalty.

As for the argument about the costs of incarceration, well, instead of keeping these people in prison 24/7 where they serve no purpose at all, why not make them earn their keep? After all, we all need to earn our keep.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Yes, amazing how after executed, now someone says he was innocent, of course a lawsuit to follow with compensation possibly to be shared......555

Destroys all credibility of the witness. Know the guy well enough to tell him to leave the area, but let him rot in jail for years.....555

I did read 'the last executioner'........excellent read, by the way, and he did state, everyone he shot confessed, though I'm sceptical. Not sure if that was required to have the book approved for sale, or just to relieve himself of some outward / inward guilty conscious.

My understanding, and why not, most do fess up to their crimes, when they realize no further appeal with help them. MSM / movie version anyway .... 555
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Takiap wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:32 amAs for the argument about the costs of incarceration, well, instead of keeping these people in prison 24/7 where they serve no purpose at all, why not make them earn their keep? After all, we all need to earn our keep.

Plenty of beaches needing cleaned in Thailand..... :idea:
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Ginjaninja wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:33 am
Takiap wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:32 amAs for the argument about the costs of incarceration, well, instead of keeping these people in prison 24/7 where they serve no purpose at all, why not make them earn their keep? After all, we all need to earn our keep.

Plenty of beaches needing cleaned in Thailand..... :idea:
And opportunity for an easy escape.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

europtimiste wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:21 pmAnd opportunity for an easy escape.
Nothing a heavy chain round the neck wouldn't resolve.
We could test it with you Eurotit and then see if you can swim with it too..... :laugh:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Nice one. Ginja!