First execution for 9 years in Thailand

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

First execution for 9 years in Thailand

Post by HHTel »

BANGKOK — Death penalty opponents were caught by surprise by Thailand’s first execution in nine years Monday night while officials are offering no explanation.

After 26-year-old Teerasak Longji was executed at Bangkok’s Bang Kwang Central Prison by lethal injection for aggravated murder, the leading group calling for abolition of capital punishment said Tuesday it deplored the decision and had no idea why the unexpected execution occurred now.

“We are not sure,” Amnesty International Thailand Director Piyanut Kotsan said Tuesday morning when asked about the timing.
Source:http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/ ... n-9-years/

They were crowing earlier in the year when Thailand was heading for the status of 'An abolitionist country in practice'
Because this is the first in such a long time, it's bound to draw criticism and condemnation from around the world. It executions were carried out on a regular basis then it wouldn't be newsworthy.
Prayut about to visit the EU. I guess he'll be in for some stick!
Now what about the other 600 or so on death row?
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Re: First execution for 9 years in Thailand

Post by Felipesed1 »

1 a day, 2 years to clear the backlog.
Then start on the corrupt politicians and civil servants!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I wonder how safe many of the death penalty convictions are, given the state of the justice system in Thailand. Doing the politicians first may be more appropriate.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

I’m surprised that the condemned relatives or his lawyers didn’t raise the scheduled execution with the press.
Maybe they didn’t know!
Either way, it’s very strange to keep it quiet until after the deed is done.
As for the visit to the UK, May won’t say much, so they needn’t worry on that score!
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Remember this incident?
Thailand's military leader has lashed out at journalists saying he would "probably just execute" those who did "not report the truth", in the latest outburst aimed at Thailand's media.

"We'll probably just execute them," Prayuth Chan-ocha said on Wednesday, when asked by reporters how the government would deal with those that do not adhere to the official line.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Family Not Notified of Man’s Execution

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/ ... execution/

BANGKOK — The sister of the first man to be executed in nine years said Tuesday the family was not informed in advance and not given the chance to say goodbye.

Kanita Longji, 20, the younger sister of Teerasak Longji, whose execution last night signaled an end to a de facto moratorium on capital punishment, said her family was not told he would be put to death until after it was carried out.

“I don’t understand and there was no advanced notification that he would be executed,” Kanita told Matichon from her family home in Trang province. “In reality, family members should be notified if an execution is to be carried out… so the relatives can bid farewell.”

Kanita said the family was planning to visit him Tuesday because her brother recently sent a letter asking for 2,000 baht. She defended her brother’s crime as less severe than other crimes which drew lesser sentences, such as the 34 years recently handed down to two women accused of dismembering a young woman.

The family was preparing an Islamic funeral for 26-year-old Teerasak and said an air of sadness pervaded their home.
Teerasak was convicted of aggravated murder and sentenced to die for stabbing a 17-year-old man 24 times and stealing his phone and 2,000 baht cash. The crime took place in 2012.

The head of the Corrections Department has declined to comment on the circumstances behind the unexpected execution after nine years, during which royal pardons have routinely granted clemency. Department chief Narat Savettan said he would not make any comment beyond a statement saying it would serve as a deterrent.
Junta leader Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha said Tuesday the execution was carried out in accordance with the law and the views of the general public, which supports the penalty, should be taken into account. Prayuth added that the execution would serve as a lesson and help bring peace and order to the country.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

He deserved this punishment for his horrible crime.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

If as little dictators claim, execution would "serve as a deterrent" then there would be little to no crime. It's an old debunked argument used years ago in the U.S. to justify executions, which, in essence, are revenge.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

handdrummer wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:57 pm If as little dictators claim, execution would "serve as a deterrent" then there would be little to no crime. It's an old debunked argument used years ago in the U.S. to justify executions, which, in essence, are revenge.
Why keeping those people in jail and spend money for nothing ? Better get rid of them.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

europtimiste wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:32 pm Why keeping those people in jail and spend money for nothing ? Better get rid of them.
I've no idea what the corresponding costs in Thailand are but in the US "the average trial and incarceration costs of [a] murder case that results in a death penalty are almost double those in a murder case that results in a sentence of life imprisonment."

Depending on which costs you include (especially prosecution costs) some estimates put the figure closer to 4 times as expensive.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Maybe the death sentences should be carried out more quickly. Lawyers are very happy to drag out the various appeals process.

I'm not a great believer in the death sentence for all those convicted of murder but there are undoubtedly some murderers who deserve it. With the proviso that there is no doubt about their guilt.
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Post by Felipesed1 »

GroveHillWanderer wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:58 pm
europtimiste wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:32 pm Why keeping those people in jail and spend money for nothing ? Better get rid of them.
I've no idea what the corresponding costs in Thailand are but in the US "the average trial and incarceration costs of [a] murder case that results in a death penalty are almost double those in a murder case that results in a sentence of life imprisonment."

Depending on which costs you include (especially prosecution costs) some estimates put the figure closer to 4 times as expensive.
There is no need for any increased cost.

Sentenced on Monday, dead on Tuesday. Bullet in back of head. (With the proviso that there is no doubt of guilt, of course).
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Sentenced on Monday, dead on Tuesday. Bullet in back of head. (With the proviso that there is no doubt of guilt, of course).
And therein lies the problem. There have been cases where 'there is no doubt of guilt' only later to be found innocent. A wrong that can never be put right. Therefore the the levels of appeal and review must be allowed. I think that's the reason why it's been said that a death penalty can cost much more than a life sentence.

I read recently that since the '70s 161 people have been exonerated from 'death row' in the states. Wrongful executions have happened everywhere. One of the more well known ones in the UK was Timothy Evans of the 'Christie murders'. It took years before he was found to be innocent but the guy had already been hanged. With the level of corruption in the justice system of Thailand, there is more of a chance of it happening here.

The death penalty is too fraught with error and can never be reversed. There is no evidence that it is a deterrent. In fact, as has already been pointed out, the states in the US without a death penalty showed a bigger decrease in violent crime than those with the death penalty.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Family wasn't notified .... boo hoo

Maybe, just maybe, they asked the scumbag if he wanted the family notified, and he said no.

Like he hasn't embarrassed the family enough. Yea, please, more press, and invite them to watch me finally pay for the embarrassingly brutal crime I committed.

I mean, who doesn't want to watch a family member be executed. On the top of my bucket list. :banghead:

Popcorn and soda for the kids ..... :cheers:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

“He made one last call to Mum just before he entered the execution room – but she didn’t answer the phone soon enough,” one of Thirasak’s sisters said.

She said Thirasak had, however, managed to talk on the phone to his first wife. They had two children together.

“When Mum answered the phone again on Monday, she was told to pick up his body. Mum hasn’t stopped crying,” the sister said.
Okay, Laphanphon, let's punish the family for their son's crime!!